Gransnet forums

News & politics

I am totally sickened

(96 Posts)
DaphneBroon Mon 12-Dec-16 08:17:04

metro.co.uk/2016/12/11/two-girls-7-carry-out-suicide-bomb-attack-in-busy-market-6316062/

I am not by nature a vengeful person but I cannot find it in my heart to understand, let alone forgive the men who have used 7 year old little girls to carry suicide bombs in the latest atrocity.
Blow yourselves up if you must (but I recognise of course that takes no account of the innocent victims) , but what religion, belief, political philosophy says this is justifiable
I look at my 6 1/2 years little grandson and I weep.
sadsadsad

Faye Wed 14-Dec-16 09:04:22

I don't think I can get my head around this happening to anyone, let alone innocent children.

Oldgreymare Wed 14-Dec-16 07:22:28

Horrible happenings, I despair at the suffering.

Jane10 Wed 14-Dec-16 06:44:53

So true bellsisabelle sad

bellsisabelle Tue 13-Dec-16 19:33:39

I agree with Daphnedill's post of 10:05:00. Christmas this year will be tinged with sadness, not to say anguish, for the events in the wider world. sad

Anya Tue 13-Dec-16 19:30:24

Oops, started to post but hit wrong button. Scrap that and never mind.

Anya Tue 13-Dec-16 19:26:19

Don't think......

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 16:48:29

confused

How did that thread go off at a tangent when the OP was so heartfelt and full of anguish?

As someone said up-thread, there are many shades of Islam, just as there are many shades of Christianity and, no doubt, of other religions.

Hard to believe that both, and Judaism, all evolved from the same spiritual source.

DaphneBroon Tue 13-Dec-16 16:32:36

Don't think I did, not for anybody who actually reads the posts. confused

Anya Tue 13-Dec-16 16:14:45

DB not sure how you managed to dig yourself into that particular hole when it was another who made a rather crass remark.

petra Tue 13-Dec-16 15:28:36

How can the treatment or position of women not come up when discussing Islam?

DaphneBroon Tue 13-Dec-16 15:04:46

I think that was my point of yesterday evening too dd

.... It is understandable to feel and express a gut reaction in the face of such horror
Bearing all that in mind, to me at any rate it is the youth of the poor children involved, rather than their gender ...etc

I never intended this thread to focus on the treatment or position of women in Islamic society, but of course like a river, a thread will often find its own direction, won't it?

daphnedill Tue 13-Dec-16 14:57:46

PS. 25% of the children used as suicide bombers are boys. This isn't just a gender issue.

daphnedill Tue 13-Dec-16 14:55:54

The parents probably couldn't do anything.

The kidnapping and use of children as suicide bombers has been going on for a while, but not often reported.

This is a BBC article from April:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-36023444

maddyone Tue 13-Dec-16 11:12:27

The murder of these little girls is sickening. I believe these children were murdered as they cannot have had any understanding of what was about to happen to them. Did they even know? Were they promised heaven as a reward? How could their parents and grandparents countenance this? Or were the children abducted?
As for the place of women in other societies, we all know that women and girls are seen as second class in many countries and religions, and yes, that applies to some women/girls in our own country. What to do? I don't know, I wish I did.

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 10:55:29

Those brands of 'Islam' are not the true faith, they are terrorists and murderers.

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 10:53:56

Our friends have Muslim DGC - but their son had to convert to Islam before he could marry, so no question of his Muslim wife converting to Christianity grammargran. She is not a submissive wife and the children are brought up as others in the UK, nor are our other friends submissive and their DC and DGC are well integrated. So, apart from the insistence on converting to Islam, they are all modern in their outlook.

However, it is not so for all, there is still FGM and still arranged marriages etc in the UK and some women are submissive.

grammargran Tue 13-Dec-16 10:31:53

That is just so true, daphnedill and puts everything into its proper perspective. We are so, so lucky over here.

daphnedill Tue 13-Dec-16 10:30:43

*aren't

daphnedill Tue 13-Dec-16 10:30:33

Nigeria and Syria are't in our midst!!!

Day6 Tue 13-Dec-16 10:16:57

LilyFlower"Unfortunately, in the name of multiculturalism and fostering the mistaken idea that all cultures are equal we have allowed religions based on misogyny to flourish in our midst. Anyone who pointed out in reasonable tones and with valid arguments that this was eroding the rights of women was called a racist."

Exactly LilyFlower.

Where does tolerance, acceptance, understanding stop in relation to these EVIL people?

We have to call it if we want to change the world for the better. It's almost palpable that civilised western nations are tip-toeing around some atrocious happenings in the name of religion for fear of, well, what exactly? Reprisals, upsetting some sort of multicultural balance?

I cannot believe anyone of sane mind would do that to a child. When the lives of females and children are so cheap and blighted by some inhuman males, we need to call those mad fanatics just that, and not give their terrorist groups or indeed whatever they worship, any kind of credence. Mild mannered and decent people of faith must be horrified and deeply saddened by events.

daphnedill Tue 13-Dec-16 10:05:00

@NanaandGrampy

When I read about what's happening in Aleppo, I wonder what kind of values anybody has and how war will have affected those children who do survive. It's heartbreaking. I see the tat in Christmas advertisements and I can't help thinking that there are millions of children in the world who would be grateful for a roof over their heads, a quiet night's sleep, water, a decent meal and a family not in danger.

grammargran Tue 13-Dec-16 09:54:56

I am a C of E Nannima to Muslim grandchildren, and I can honestly say that none of the women in my wider Muslim family are treated or behave any differently from the non Muslims in the rest of my family or the wider community. Are we lucky? I think we're completely normal, especially after watching Muslims Like Us on BBC2 last evening. The monsters who sent strapped explosives to those little ones are exactly that - and bear no relation to any Muslim I know and love. I think they are like Kay in The Snow Queen - their hearts have been turned into blocks of ice ..........

NanaandGrampy Tue 13-Dec-16 09:21:25

Using children as weapons isn't new sadly.

I was in the army at the height of the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland and personally saw many, many instances where bombs or weapons were transported in prams under living babies, where children were indoctrinated from a very early age to loathe the British forces and actively take part in any activity designed to hurt/harm/kill.

They knew no different and perhaps this is the case here.

Iam64 Tue 13-Dec-16 07:53:50

Good morning Daphne - don't stop posting and don't feel backed into a corner.

Jane10 Tue 13-Dec-16 06:23:13

Don't stress Daphne. I know what you mean. There's 50 shades of Islam. Only the very darkest would even think of using children as human bombs. What a world.sad