Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yemen's children

(47 Posts)
Anya Mon 12-Dec-16 18:51:18

I can't bear to watch. Babies, children, their parents just skin and bones.

I'm in tears sad

durhamjen Thu 15-Dec-16 23:09:50

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/yemen-prime-minister-uk-war-crimes-abdulaziz-bin-habtour-a7473001.html

Anya Thu 15-Dec-16 12:08:01

That's commendable Annie

Anniebach Thu 15-Dec-16 11:24:30

I will leave the thread

Anya Thu 15-Dec-16 10:33:02

Annie stop this please.

I'm guessing now that nobody else will want to contribute to the main purpose of this thread sad

Anniebach Thu 15-Dec-16 09:04:43

I said it because I thought it true Jen, I was so wrong wasn't I

Anya Thu 15-Dec-16 08:22:58

Let .us not scare people off this thread please. Yes, we know about arms sales but at this moment in time little children who at 15 months ought to be toddling around are so weak with hunger they can't even lift their heads up.

Their arms are just like sticks every rib is showing and they're being held in the arms of their parents who look like Belsen victims.

All the that matters is that we send them help. Thank you those who've giving us their Winter Fuel Allownance (I can't think of a better use for it) or even donated a £5. What about GN itself donating something too? That would be a lovely gesture.

durhamjen Wed 14-Dec-16 23:34:53

You said it of Corbyn, Annie, in May.

I am not accusing any particular person of anything. Some people on here thought it was okay to sell arms to Saudi because if we didn't, some other country would, and we could lose jobs. That's what I remember, not who said it.
Perhaps they have changed their minds now. I certainly hope so.

Anniebach Wed 14-Dec-16 23:27:54

No I cannot recall eho said that of Corbyn sorry.

Do you are accusing some posters of saying the sale of arms was ok but you can't recall who they were ?

durhamjen Wed 14-Dec-16 23:21:09

Lots of discussions on it, Annie. I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular. I just know that some people on here had said it. If you think I was hinting at you, I wasn't. That's your problem. There are others who think it was okay for that very reason.

As a matter of interest, can you remember who said "Corbyn is a good man, kind and caring. Sadly lacking in so many politicians..." ? Not that long ago, either. It was actually on a thread where Saudi was mentioned.

Anniebach Wed 14-Dec-16 23:09:41

They may Jen, I do not , I don't hinting is fair , I joined in that discussion , you accused me of no longer being against arms sales because I said other countries would just sell more , this is true. I did not say it was ok to sell arms

durhamjen Wed 14-Dec-16 22:40:03

The US has agreed to stop a shipment of arms to Saudi Arabia. Theresa May refused to follow the US, despite being asked to by the SNP leader in the commons today.

Annie, they know who they are.

Anniebach Wed 14-Dec-16 22:05:54

I don't recall anyone saying it was ok to sell arms, best to name those you accuse Jen?

durhamjen Wed 14-Dec-16 21:50:20

Just realised what you meant. I thought you were swearing.
Mine too.

annsixty Wed 14-Dec-16 20:54:54

This is where my WFA has gone.

durhamjen Wed 14-Dec-16 20:46:09

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, grannyactivist.

There are people on here who said it was okay for the UK to sell arms to Saudi Arabia because if we didn't other countries would. I would like to know what they think now.

grannyactivist Wed 14-Dec-16 00:38:25

I am ashamed that I live in a country whose government (through arms sales) has had a part to play in the terrible destruction we are now witnessing, but mostly I am heartsore that people are so lost to humanity that they can perpetrate such atrocities as we're seeing. Who can watch those harrowing images without being moved? Not me.sad

On the other hand I am in awe (overused word, but appropriately used in this context) of the bravery shown by the White Helmets and their inspirational leader Raed Al Saleh; not a politician, not a diplomat, not especially trained for the role - just an ordinary man who chose to act for the greater good and in doing so has saved countless lives.

durhamjen Tue 13-Dec-16 23:02:15

Or do both.

Anya Tue 13-Dec-16 18:23:01

Or send some money via charities.

durhamjen Tue 13-Dec-16 18:12:25

email.number10.gov.uk/

To email the PM about both the Yemen and the situation in Aleppo.
Too late for anyone even living in London, but there is a protest at 6.30 outside Downing Street about Aleppo.

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 16:33:48

nigglynellie there does seem no end to it, children starving for one reason or another. I remember taking in money to Sunday school for starving children in India and Africa.

Poverty, famines, natural disasters - but used as weapons in war either as suicide bombers or by deliberate starvation is just beyond horrific.

Antonia Tue 13-Dec-16 15:07:56

Our DD was recently getting upset about her toddler (normal toddler behaviour) until I pointed out that her DD has everything a child could wish for - loving parents, enough food, good health. The plight of these children in Yemen and Syria is too appalling for words. All we can do is give to the right charities but until conflicts are resolved these innocent children and their families will continue to suffer and there is nothing that ordinary people can do about it.

daphnedill Tue 13-Dec-16 14:39:40

Part of the problem is that Saudi Arabia and its allies aren't letting aid through into Yemen. The UK is one of the allies.

Maybe Saudi's involvement is the reason it's not frequently reported in the British press. Never has Boris been so right!

If people aren't aware of the background, this is a good summary by the BBC:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29319423

Anya Tue 13-Dec-16 13:44:55

Disaster Emergency Appeal

I've given what I would have spent on DGS2's Christmas present. It seemed the right thing to do.

Jayh Tue 13-Dec-16 13:39:09

I welcome the day when there is need for our donations to feed starving babies. It is a never-ending disgrace. But sadly it is all we can do.

silverlining48 Tue 13-Dec-16 12:35:31

The disaster emergency committee have announced a Yemen appeal, look at DEC for how to donate.