Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yemen's children

(46 Posts)
Anya Mon 12-Dec-16 18:51:18

I can't bear to watch. Babies, children, their parents just skin and bones.

I'm in tears sad

Rinouchka Mon 12-Dec-16 19:14:33

I can't bear it either, Anya. Worse still is the sense that this may not end for a very long time. Just when we thought we had seen the worst possible, there is still more.

Anya Mon 12-Dec-16 22:18:19

Thanks for your comment rinouchka ...this is obviously not a topic that is going to arouse much intetest, tonight at least.

Crafting Mon 12-Dec-16 22:30:53

Just because there aren't many comments Anya, don't think we don't care. Like you I am appalled at the sight of young children whose skin just about covers their bones. It is horrific to see them starving like this. Apart from sending money to Save the children, and praying for them, not sure what else we can do.

merlotgran Mon 12-Dec-16 22:31:56

I think about it every day, Anya. Yemen has always been dangerous, unbelievably poor and inaccessible. We can only hope there will be a breakthrough with aid and support finally getting help for those poor children.

Hilltopgran Mon 12-Dec-16 22:41:45

The tragic and unbelievable situation just seems to get worse, as someone else has said we can only support the organisations who are working in difficult and dangerous situation to try and bring relief .

Luckygirl Mon 12-Dec-16 22:42:51

I am guessing this thread is not getting much response because it is in pedants' corner. A recent thread "Feeling helpless" did indicate a shared concern for this appalling situation.

Anya Mon 12-Dec-16 22:56:09

I thought everyone has gone to bed Crafting.

Lucky I asked HQ to move it to News and Politics and they said they had, but it's still here.

I was watching a little 14 month old who later died. It was as bad, or worse that the famine in Ethiopia. It hurts.

Swanny Mon 12-Dec-16 23:08:11

Anya this is obviously not a topic that is going to arouse much intetest (sic), tonight at least. I hadn't responded earlier because 'Pedants corner' is not my first port of call.

I just can't find the words to express my feelings of extreme sadness and grief for these fellow human beings who just happen to have caught a cameraman's eye. We can say this is the worst atrocity happening in the world today but that's not necessarily true. There are many instances of disasters occurring under our noses every minute but, unless there is a camera to record it, we and our elected governments can dismiss it as scaremongering.

In my darkest moments I wish that Trump will be trigger-happy and blow our world to smithereens. However I wish my DGS a long and HAPPY life, but unless common sense can prevail and over-rule tyranny and dictatorship there isn't much hope of that sad

Jalima Mon 12-Dec-16 23:21:21

Anya I watched it with horror the other evening and just can't comprehend how anyone could cause this to happen to babies and children - or anyone.
sad

I think it was mentioned too when we were discussing Boris and what he had said about Iran and Saudi Arabia.
But it deserves a thread of its own.

When horrors are uncovered the world says 'we must never let this happen again'
But it does.

Jayh Mon 12-Dec-16 23:49:00

I found it unbearable to watch. These poor, poor babies. What the hell can we do ?

Anya Tue 13-Dec-16 07:38:06

That's the big question isn't it Jayh

I think all we can do is give to the good charities that are there working on the ground. If a donation by me can help one child, one family, then I'll feel at least I've done something.

Feeling helpless is horrible.

rosesarered Tue 13-Dec-16 09:00:07

It's unbearable to watch, a terrible situation.Other than donations there is nothing we can do.As usual, the first to suffer badly are the young.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Dec-16 09:46:51

Apologies there was a blip - it's in the right place now

nigglynellie Tue 13-Dec-16 10:14:47

The first time I saw starving/dying babies on TV was many moons ago coming from the then breakaway state of Biafra. The sight of this awful suffering reduced me to tears of disbelief and rage. Over the years there has been so much of the same suffering caused by mans inhumanity to man,and this latest quite appalling situation in the Yemen proves once again that nothing changes and that again and again the very weakest and innocent in society are the ones who bear the brunt of the inability of human beings being able to live alongside each other in peace. How can we stop this? If only we could collectively shout from the highest mountain for this evil to STOP!

daphnedill Tue 13-Dec-16 10:37:56

It's a topic which has been discussed much in my family, because my daughter's boyfriend's grandfather comes from Yemen. If immigration laws had been as strict when he immigrated as they are now, he and his family would be amongst those starving. My daughter's boyfriend would probably have been one of the young men fighting on one side or the other - or dead.

It's tragic.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Dec-16 10:39:41

Stop selling arms for a start.

I have often wondered what would happen to someone drawing Jobseekers where there is a job available in an arms factory but their conscience will not allow them to accept this.

maturefloosy Tue 13-Dec-16 10:57:10

I saw that too Anya and howled my head off at the sight of the poor little mite. It didn't just touch my heart - - it smashed it with a huge hammer! The poor little baby died later and the vision has stayed with me - - - - I really wanted to do something too but apart from donating money -- what else can we do from here?

Luckygirl Tue 13-Dec-16 11:32:40

I have just looked up the answer to my question above about Jobseekers and you can turn down a job and still receive the benefit if you have "Good cause", one of which is: Objecting to work with material which may be used for the destruction of human life. I am pleased to see that.

petra Tue 13-Dec-16 11:46:46

I don't understand why the situation in Nigeria isn't getting more airtime. In terms of numbers this potential tragedy is horrendous.

GillT57 Tue 13-Dec-16 12:25:32

It is truly heartbreaking. All we can do is donate and ensure that we only deal with banks or companies which do not involve themselves in the arms trade. the Co-op make an ethical stand on weapons. At the risk of upsetting some, it does seem that religion has a lot to answer for from Boko Haram using 7 years old girls as suicide bombers, Yemen, Coptic Christians in Cairo being blown to smithereens, I could go on.

silverlining48 Tue 13-Dec-16 12:35:31

The disaster emergency committee have announced a Yemen appeal, look at DEC for how to donate.

Jayh Tue 13-Dec-16 13:39:09

I welcome the day when there is need for our donations to feed starving babies. It is a never-ending disgrace. But sadly it is all we can do.

Anya Tue 13-Dec-16 13:44:55

Disaster Emergency Appeal

I've given what I would have spent on DGS2's Christmas present. It seemed the right thing to do.

daphnedill Tue 13-Dec-16 14:39:40

Part of the problem is that Saudi Arabia and its allies aren't letting aid through into Yemen. The UK is one of the allies.

Maybe Saudi's involvement is the reason it's not frequently reported in the British press. Never has Boris been so right!

If people aren't aware of the background, this is a good summary by the BBC:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29319423