Gransnet forums

News & politics

Identity Cards

(176 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Thu 22-Dec-16 06:09:27

I wish Identity Cards would be introduced, eventually it has to happen so we should all get on with it.,The only people that could possibly object would be someone with something to hide. If they don't have one they wouldn't officially exist, their decision. Everyone would gave access to Medical Care etc and be traceable.

Anya Wed 28-Dec-16 11:09:28

I did say earlier that 1984 has a lot to answer for!

durhamjen Wed 28-Dec-16 11:18:08

What? You mean that if 1984 hadn't been written, we would all have ID cards by now and be grateful for them?
It's a novel. Good to know that people take notice of literature, in that case.

Cherrytree59 Wed 28-Dec-16 13:12:28

What is the next step after ID cards?
Check points to make sure you are carrying one?
Asked by police or authorities to produce it on demand.
Not being able to go out house without carrying it?
There is already eye recognition so in theory they can store that on data base. Then of course they could keep DNA on file
No need for cards
The thin end of the wedge IMO

If ID cards become compulsory then I will refuse to carry it.

I hope I can log on to GN from HMP
grin

daphnedill Wed 28-Dec-16 13:27:52

That seems a tad paranoid.

If you have no objection to a free bus pass or the proof of age card most young people carry, it seems ridiculous to object to a card for everyone.

Jailing you would be a waste of money. Much better to refuse you all services - free bus travel, pension, healthcare, a vote, for which some kind of ID needs to be established.

durhamjen Wed 28-Dec-16 14:49:47

That's very objectionable, daphne, forcing people to carry ID or withdrawing services.
What sort of society do you want to live in?

MaizieD Wed 28-Dec-16 15:02:22

It doesn't seem to me to be at all paranoid given the current state of 'political thought' in this country.

Where the 'will of the majority' is declared to be unquestionable, where judges are labelled 'enemies of the people', where ever increasing surveillance and 'control' seem to be the driving force of the government, where 'oaths of loyalty' are seriously considered and disenfranchisement of millions of people is being proposed...

It seems less paranoid than fears of European armies and Turkey joining the EU...

daphnedill Wed 28-Dec-16 15:06:14

We will be 'controlled' with or without ID cards. How do you really think ID cards will be used to control or monitor us any more than we already are?

Agreed that the idea of European armies and Turkey joining the EU is off the scale of paranoia.

daphnedill Wed 28-Dec-16 15:06:56

Suit yourself, dj. It's a person's choice.

MaizieD Wed 28-Dec-16 15:09:35

I think they have far more potential for control than the current system.

durhamjen Wed 28-Dec-16 15:52:19

It isn't choice, though, daphne, if the government says that we will not have health services or a vote without carrying photo ID.
If the choice is to have photo ID and live, or to stick to my principles and die, what choice is that?
As I asked, what sort of society do you want to live in?

Lewlew Thu 29-Dec-16 10:56:46

I will cheerfully, happily, and with relief continue to carry my UK driving licence with my ugly pic on it so that when I need something, I can prove who I am without having to go home and get my passport.

Several years ago a stupid bank was more concerned with the fact that my signature had changed over 20 years and used that as an excuse to hold up my transfer of funds when they had me and my face on the licence to compare.

FFS, I have arthritic fingers, of course my sig has changed. We used chip and pin now and rarely have to sign bank stuff.

FINALLY the manager got involved and put it through... but by the end of the day it was too late. I lost the 'window' to get the fixed rate bond for that interest rate.

I am happy that they do not want to give my money to a fake-me, but really, it was OTT.

Identity theft is a huge problem with people with common names, like John Smith. So in our family he uses John Dingbat Smith on all things now as his full name is in his passport. With this same bank, he used to be just Mr J Smith on his debit card. Really, how utterly stupid! It took ages to get them to change it to his proper name. Chip and pin was not in effect back then, but now if he's making a big transfer, he has the same problem as I did. They want a signature. Doh?

daphnedill Thu 29-Dec-16 13:10:32

Why was your driving licence 20 years old? By law, they have to be renewed every ten years.

daphnedill Thu 29-Dec-16 13:21:53

I want to live in a society, in which:

a) People are not discriminated against, because they do not hold a driving licence or passport;

b) People have to prove who they are, if they want certain rights. I don't want ineligible people to claim those rights.

If you want to campaign against a 'big brother' society, you've missed the boat, because central computers already hold so much data on you. There are far more important issues than possessing a piece of plastic/laminated card, giving basic details. Personally, I think you should direct your energies towards challenging them, but that's your choice. You know what the price could be, if you don't show ID when you want to vote (if it really does get introduced) - so be it.

harrigran Thu 29-Dec-16 14:04:38

Driving licences do not have to be renewed every ten years, one licence until you are seventy then every three years.

durhamjen Thu 29-Dec-16 14:07:42

Unless you move, in which case it has to be renewed.

durhamjen Thu 29-Dec-16 14:10:29

I do not want to have to show photo ID to have to vote. I have had the right to vote without it for over 40 years, and do not wish that right to be taken away from me because of the paranoia of some people who wish to have more control over me and everybody else in this country.

durhamjen Thu 29-Dec-16 14:13:50

Wasn't it LibDems who stopped ID cards being brought in in 2010?

durhamjen Thu 29-Dec-16 14:18:39

The first vote it is to be used for is the 2018 local council elections. Whatever I do will not make much difference round here. However, if lots of others do it, it will show the government it is not wanted.
Do you think I am not directing my energies to other problems?
Obviously you do not read as much as I thought you did on here.
I presume you've heard today that over the winter it could take up to four weeks for people to see a GP?

MaizieD Thu 29-Dec-16 16:06:42

Photo card driving licences have to be renewed every 10 years. At a cost...

I'm hanging on tight to my paper one.

Lewlew Thu 29-Dec-16 18:42:25

It was the signature card with this bank that was in their files which was 20 years old.

They said that my signature at the time of this transaction did not look like their old signature card.

My photo driving licence was indeed within the preceding 10 years and the signature on it (even though very reduced by DVLA) looked much more like how it had 'evolved' or 'degenerated'.

confused

Ana Thu 29-Dec-16 18:52:32

Your paper driving licence is no good for ID purposes.

MaizieD Thu 29-Dec-16 21:20:54

I don't want it for ID purposes. I want it to prove that I have passed my driving test.

Ana Thu 29-Dec-16 21:30:50

I think the DVLA will have that information on record anyway...

aggie Thu 29-Dec-16 22:18:58

Here in Northern Ireland you can't vote without photo ID , I gave up renewing my Driving licence , my Passport is out of date , but my photo Bus Pass worked ! I have no problem with ID cards

durhamjen Sat 07-Jan-17 00:11:12

theconversation.com/showing-id-at-polling-stations-will-not-end-election-fraud-70914