Gransnet forums

News & politics

Biggest political hypocrite 2016

(234 Posts)
durhamjen Wed 28-Dec-16 00:14:19

These are some nominations.
Who would you choose from the list?

i1.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/161226-political-hypocrite-nominations.png?w=529

Anniebach Fri 06-Jan-17 16:08:35

And a very limited choice

Ana Fri 06-Jan-17 15:52:23

In point of fact, Farage is joint 'winner' with Trump, so who knows which of them gained the most votes?

There were only 350 of them anyway...grin

Anniebach Fri 06-Jan-17 15:48:25

So it's ok to betray older party members Daphne , betrayal is wrong regardless of age , I am surprised you can dismiss it , I can only assume you were not working for the party in the eighties, rather a johnnie come lately obviously

daphnedill Fri 06-Jan-17 15:40:23

Corbyn has 'betrayed' one section of the 'olde' Labour Party - not all of them.

When Farage finally resigned as UKIP leader, he was having a “great time” since quitting as Ukip leader because he no longer has to deal with “low-grade people” every day.

The MEP said leaving the role meant he had been freed from having to associate with people he would never choose to have a drink with or employ.
(...)

In an interview with The Telegraph, he said, “I am having a great time. I am not having to deal with low-grade people every day, I am not responsible for what our branch secretary in Lower Slaughter said half-cut on Twitter last night - that isn’t my fault any more.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farage-ukip-donald-trump_uk_584b2c93e4b040989fa6d966

I expect UKIP activists in 'Lower Slaughter' might feel the same way you do, annie.

daphnedill Fri 06-Jan-17 15:32:12

ab,

He expressed his views before the referendum. He never pretended to be 100% in favour of the EU. As far as I'm concerned, he's never pretended to be anything other than a neo-hippy with some idealistic views. My personal feeling is that he's a wally, but that doesn't make him a hypocrite.

Nobody can take this particular accolade away from Farage IMHO.

Anniebach Fri 06-Jan-17 15:29:45

Only one has betrayed the members of a party he now leads , this is enough for me .

trisher Fri 06-Jan-17 15:05:28

If it's a contest between Corbyn and Farage Farage has to win.
Only one of them has presented himself as a man of the people in spite of his banking background. Only one has drawn a salary from an organisation he wanted destroyed and never supported. Only one has cosied up to millionaires and pretended to care for the poor. Only one expresses racist and xenophobic views under the disguise of being truly British but has a German wife. Step forward Nigel.

rosesarered Fri 06-Jan-17 10:20:47

grin

Anniebach Fri 06-Jan-17 10:16:58

Roses, every morning I listen to Today, every morning I wait for Corbyn and John Humphries in a live interview .

Humphries - good morning Mr Corbyn

Corbyn. - this is harassment

Humphries - why do you think labour is now as low in the polls as in the thirties , even lower than Foot in the eighties?

Corbyn - this is harassment

In rushes his girlies to tell Humphries he is not professional

Humphries - thank you Mr Corbyn , there is a glass door to your right

End on interview

rosesarered Fri 06-Jan-17 10:04:49

Ooh, ab you are living dangerously showing that clip! When will Corbyn get used to speaking to the media.....ever?

Anniebach Fri 06-Jan-17 09:59:29

Daphne, Corbyn is not a celeb or an expert, he is leader of a party which supported to remain but he didn't support his party

rosesarered Fri 06-Jan-17 09:58:38

Because you hate somebody does not make them a hypocrite IMHO.

daphnedill Fri 06-Jan-17 09:56:00

More like the pantomime dame! grin wink shock

Anniebach Fri 06-Jan-17 09:54:42

youtu.be/g7Qk5XgD6dE

Well it is a fun thread and this is soooooop funny

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 09:54:39

Sorry meant to add Dutch elections in March with another idiot Geert Wilder - although I'm hopeful that he will not succeed.

daphnedill Fri 06-Jan-17 09:53:22

No, that's not quite true, ab. People were waiting for Corbyn to say something. He then made some kind of speech, saying he had reservations about the EU, but on balance he supported remaining (can't remember his exact words). Going on holiday was probably the best thing he could have done. Nobody took any notice of 'experts' and 'celebs'. They weren't going to take any notice of him and he would probably have given the media more oxygen to criticise him.

Nope! Nige, King of the Hypocrites it is! IMHO

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 09:52:29

I think that Farage is very likely to support Le Pen in the Presidential elections.

So March - Article 50

May -French elections and potential major upset.

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 09:39:57

Wonder what he will do if she gets the Presidency? Rush over to shake her hand? Offer himself as a go-between. He's like the Bridesmaid and never the bride

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 09:38:45

Like distancing himself from the FN - watch out Nig, Le Pen is behind you!!!!

Anniebach Fri 06-Jan-17 09:37:12

We knew where Farage stood during the Brexit campaign , Corbyn wanted out but Said he wanted in so went on holiday to avoid discussions

daphnedill Fri 06-Jan-17 09:35:58

Farage's greatest skill is to be able to fool people, so they don't realise what a hypocrite he is.

rosesarered Fri 06-Jan-17 09:31:53

Am with Monica and others on this, for definition of true hypocrite Corbyn wins hands down.Farage is considerably more upfront with his views, in fact doesn't hide what he wants at all, and doesn't fit the bill of hypocrite.He may fit the bill of something else, but that's a different matter.
grin

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 09:20:53

No he will blame the elite - who ever they are.

daphnedill Fri 06-Jan-17 09:18:35

I'm not going to spend any more time squabbling about whether Farage or Corbyn is the bigger hypocrite. IMHO the only person, with whom Farage could be considered an innocent would be Beelzebub. He knows exactly what he's doing and appears to have no conscience at all. In any case, Corbyn wasn't on the list - maybe somebody should ask Guido (or somebody) to come up with a similar poll with different names. Yep, Farage is a worthy winner, although he'll probably demand a recount and/or claim it's not fair and is an establishment set-up, if past form is any indication. wink

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 09:02:41

I think Farage is a hypocrite and a parasite.