Gransnet forums

News & politics

Photographic award for the Duchess

(79 Posts)
trisher Wed 04-Jan-17 11:18:11

So the Duchess of Cambridge has been made a life time member of the Royal Photographic Society for her photos of her family. It seems that mediocrity can be rewarded if you are just high enough up the social ladder?
What other awards might be given for efforts that are maybe just good enough but certainly NOT exceptional?

Lillie Wed 04-Jan-17 11:37:40

Well I guess for some her subject matter is exceptional, purely because it's royalty - a king in the making.
Her actual photography is nothing special. Cameras and lenses are so sophisticated these days that almost anyone can achieve excellent photos.

BlueBelle Wed 04-Jan-17 11:44:04

Blimey that's all I can say

jollyg Wed 04-Jan-17 11:46:15

With modern cameras, digital, you can take and discard with abandon.

Think of the photographers like Roger Fenton who carried a full darkroom with camera, glass plates , the chemicals to take the picture, the tent , the tripod, and went to war zones, Crimea, America, and produced magic images.

Yes you cant go wrong with todays cameras, even a blind person could do it.

But RBS was always a snobby addition to your name. Given out like sweeties

whitewave Wed 04-Jan-17 11:47:22

Perhaps she'll be awarded for being nicely skinny or walking well.

I need an award for 50 years long service to housework.

nigglynellie Wed 04-Jan-17 11:57:57

Beat you there whitevave, I'll have clocked up 53 in February!!!
I'm sure there must be a medal of some sort to acknowledge this feat for anyone reaching such a milestone!!!
Donkeys years ago my stepfather was very into photography, and had all sorts of equipment including a dark room for developing his numerous photos with his Leica(!!) camera. I can remember the whole procedure from start to finish being such a performance, that my mother and I were eventually thankful for Boots!!

vampirequeen Wed 04-Jan-17 12:49:50

Omg whatever next? Maybe she'll get a hair dyers award because we know she covers her grey hairs.

merlotgran Wed 04-Jan-17 13:42:34

I notice there was no 'Christmas' photo of them with the children this year.

Maybe she's too busy packing to move back to KP.

Jane10 Wed 04-Jan-17 13:45:07

Miaouw girls!

jollyg Wed 04-Jan-17 13:52:01

This award should not be in the public domain unless the camera CLUB , for that is what it is, sanctioned it.

I will reiterate my previous comments.

FarNorth Wed 04-Jan-17 13:52:29

May I have an award for many years of avoiding housework without descending into complete slovenliness.
It's a tricky balance, you know.

whitewave Wed 04-Jan-17 14:01:25

farnorth I award you the OAH and I am awarding niggly and myself the OH

trisher Wed 04-Jan-17 16:14:12

FarNorth I want to be the runner up then!

At least the D of C won't be able to challenge anyone on that one, bet she never even waves a feather duster!!

aggie Wed 04-Jan-17 16:15:47

JANE 10 zzz

aggie Wed 04-Jan-17 16:17:04

Oops that was meant to be xxx! Blame the Kindle

paddyann Wed 04-Jan-17 18:51:17

why would we expect anything else,The Beckham boy got a contract with vogue now the "duchess" gets an award fro photographing her own children!! Honest it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic ,the toadying to celebrity and royalty.A couple of good shots deserves a lifetime award because? There are thousands of photographic students who work their socks off ,take fabulous images and struggle to find work OR praise .But thats this topsy turvey world where TALENT comes second to a famous family name .I have been in photography for 46 years 40 of them self employed ,running a (successful) business

Moocow Wed 04-Jan-17 22:44:18

Well said paddyann

bellsisabelle Wed 04-Jan-17 23:13:24

she takes beautiful photos She's got the knack of clicking just at the right split second.

Don't be mean.

paddyann Wed 04-Jan-17 23:20:26

whats being mean about expecting a professional body like the RPS to give awards to REAL photographers and not someone who has taken family shots,her other stuff to be honest is quite dire .And yes I do know what I'm talking about ,how do you know she doesn't take 50 shots to get that "right split second" ? A truely great photographer will take each shot as if it counts EVERY time .That is the bane of professional ,the spray and pray merchants ,take a 1000 shots at a wedding and hope to get enough that are passable enough to make up an album.Its patently ridiculous she got an award and a LIFETIME award at that

gillybob Wed 04-Jan-17 23:23:15

Her photos are family photos. Nothing more, nothing less. They are not special. My son is an excellent amateur photographer and my middle granddaughter (aged 8) has taken some fantastic photographs too. Sadly neither of them will be awarded in any way, shape, or form as they are just ordinary people.

janeainsworth Wed 04-Jan-17 23:24:27

I haven't seen any of the Duchess' photos so won't comment on them, or the award.
But I'd like to take issue with the posters who say that modern cameras and lenses make taking good photos easy.
Having just done a photography course I've realised that while you can take decent photos in automatic settings, making adjustments manually to aperture, compensation etc actually gives you control over the images you produce and they go far beyond what the automatic settings will give you.

Nelliemoser Wed 04-Jan-17 23:44:18

JollyG to say
Yes you cant go wrong with todays cameras, even a blind person could do it. is complete rubbish.

Yes she does take good photos. You can have the most expensive cameras around and still not be able to take good casual portaits of children. If only it was that easy.

Nelliemoser Thu 05-Jan-17 00:21:20

As most GNers are not experienced enough to judge the quality of exhibition photography. It is totally unfair for posters to imply the Duchess of Cambridge just has this award for being royal. I object to such comments as well as Jane A.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Jan-17 04:58:31

There is nothing in her album that isn't in many peoples albums It is not being catty it's simple a true observation

She should be able to take great family photos, she has the money for the most expensive camera anyone can have, add to that a good eye for composition and anyone would have the ability it is a nonsensical award, pick some self taught kid with an off the peg camera to get the award

And Nelliemoser I am an avid (untrained ) photographer so feel I can judge

paddyann Thu 05-Jan-17 09:42:59

and Nelliemoser I have 46 YEARS of experience in photography ...PROFESSIONAL photography .Every baby will happily pose for its mother and most mums will get great shots of their children,its not rocket science.It is however much more difficult for someone who doesn't know the child to get good results.You must know she could have taken shots of brick walls annd some eegit would have wanted to give her an "award" just because of who she is!