Gransnet forums

News & politics

Humanitarian Crisis in UK

(216 Posts)
trisher Sun 08-Jan-17 19:50:16

The Red Cross is calling for more funding for health and social care and refers to a "Humanitarian crisis" Can anyone who voted for this Tory government explain how this is the NHS being safe in their hands?
www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/News/2017/January/Red-Cross-calls-on-government-to-allocate-funds-for-health-and-social-care

whitewave Sun 15-Jan-17 14:40:48

So May has indicated that doctors aren't working hard enough, that patients are at fault for going to A&E when they shouldn't . The NHS has more money than they asked for. May says that if doctors don't comply she will reduce their funding. Meanwhile cancer patients will be in terror when their operations are cancelled, children are bedded on a ward floor and with Brexit the NHS is in danger of loosing employees so desperately needed.

What a shambles.

Ana Sun 15-Jan-17 15:00:40

That was about the French system, DB.

DaphneBroon Sun 15-Jan-17 15:04:13

Yes I know Ana they go to the toilettes and drink café too, non? smile
(I thought a comparison was being made between systems.)

Ana Sun 15-Jan-17 15:07:14

Oh I see, sorry, but ppresumably French doctors aren't as pushed for time as ours are and loo and coffee-breaks are factored in, between appointments.

DaphneBroon Sun 15-Jan-17 15:09:19

Mais bien sûr!
I couldn't imagine the French settling for less!

Ana Sun 15-Jan-17 15:11:48

Quite!

durhamjen Mon 16-Jan-17 23:01:20

www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/01/16/7000-nurses-could-face-axe-secret-nhs-plans/

rosesarered Tue 17-Jan-17 11:54:41

Not to mention time needed to nosh a croissant or two DB grin and perhaps a glass of wine

thatbags Tue 17-Jan-17 12:08:52

Yes, db. My GP called me once a good deal before my appointment time on the off-chance of catching me. My comment/query was completely detached emotionally. No judgment, just a wondering.

I actually have no complaints about the NHS at the moment and have never had any serious ones. I find all the talk of crisis quite weird. I guess this is what comes of living a bit out in the sticks, having had minimal contact with hospitals, and thinking my GP is a good doc.

Did I mention before that my mum spent most of her labour for my sister, who was breach but born 'naturally', on a trolley in a corridor? That was 1958, during the baby boom years, I guess.

Antonia Tue 17-Jan-17 12:27:18

In France we do pay more for healthcare, but healthcare is what we get. Good, efficient and well trained personnel, home visits for blood tests with results in 1 or 2 days. Doctors' appointments, as far as I know, are not on any kind of time meter. Our doctor spends as long as it takes with each patient. I am usually in and out fairly quickly, say five or ten minutes, but she can easily be 30 - 40 minutes or longer with some patients. We are returning to live permanently in the UK later this year and I am dreading what we will find regarding healthcare after our experiences here.

thatbags Tue 17-Jan-17 15:55:52

It will depend where in the UK you end up, I think, Antonia. I have never felt rushed at a GP appointment and I've lived in various places between Dundee and Oxford.

I've also had an NHS dentist for most of my life, and still have.

TriciaF Tue 17-Jan-17 17:07:28

Things do vary in France as well, though we're still don't have complaints.
There's a shortage of GPs in rural areas. Ours is a family practice, the elder has just retired at 85, and his son, late 50s, wants to reduce his hours. He found a young woman to do a few sessions, but most of the patients don't want to see her. They prefer the Dr. they're used to.
He's had to put a notice up "Please don't avoid the new doctor. Do you want the Gers to become GP desert?" etc.

durhamjen Mon 23-Jan-17 16:14:45

Proof that privatisation is bad for the NHS.

www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/you-get-what-you-pay-for-landmark-study-exposes-nhs-privatisation-risks

durhamjen Wed 25-Jan-17 00:04:35

NHS still in crisis.

metro.co.uk/2017/01/23/as-a-doctor-working-in-a-major-trauma-centre-i-can-definitely-say-the-nhs-is-in-crisis-6399459/

Combined with this.

metro.co.uk/2017/01/23/london-on-very-high-air-pollution-alert-for-first-time-6400578/

durhamjen Fri 27-Jan-17 22:43:37

www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/nhs-theresa-mays-dowry-gift-to-donald-trump