Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tristam Hunt

(47 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 10:37:43

Hunt is standing down so another bi election

He is to be the director of the V & A Museum

POGS Mon 16-Jan-17 11:31:05

On Sunday Politics Tristram Hunt said this.

"It's a very tough decision to leave Stoke on Trent but being the Director of the V & A museum was my dream job. It was not something that I could turn down. I have had differences with Jeremy in the past but I now want to be a museum director, an impartial director of a great museum and so IT'S NOT THE TIME TO REHEARSE THOSE DIFFERENCES NOW'

A good job came up, he should not embarrass that position so needs to keep his head down and shut up ( he has been very vocal over Corbyn and Momentum), he didn't like the boss and he did what most of us would do scarper, especially as he was probably going to loose the opportunity of being an MP either by a deselection challenge (Momentum target) or loosing one of the MP's seats in that area due to boundary changes.

I think the link provided was a good summation by the way.

I was pleased to read something in the link I did not know and should give hope to 'some' Labour supporters, although others will obviously not see it the same way if they are on the Momentum side of the track.

'Developments at a constituency level have also been more encouraging for the moderates. As I reported to you before Christmas, non-Corbynites have been prevailing at annual general meetings of local parties by securing key posts in constituencies. This matters, not least because this is the first line of defence against attempts to deselect MPs. Since I last reported to you, I’ve collected more examples of how these local struggles are playing out. A striking one comes from the London constituency of Vauxhall. Paul Mason, one of Jeremy Corbyn’s most prominent media advocates, stood for a position on the local party’s general committee. He was defeated. By a delicious irony, he was beaten by someone who used to be a member of the SDP, the now defunct party that split from Labour when it lurched to the left in the 1980s.'

Paul Mason is loved by some but I could never distance his Trotsky links (from the horses mouth ) from main stream media and TV. He certainly has been a mouth piece for Corbyn and Momentum hasn't he.

Anniebach Mon 16-Jan-17 08:41:07

Rawnsley is right, and there is the fact Hunt is one of the fourteen on Corbyns hit list , the list of those he claimed abused him

janeainsworth Sun 15-Jan-17 23:24:36

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/15/tristram-hunt-better-future-in-museum-jeremy-corbyn-labour
Andrew Rawnsley on Tristram Hunt's resignation.
'having devoted a lot of time to thinking about how to renew social democracy for the 21st century, he had grown increasingly fearful that he hadn’t got the answers to Labour’s predicament. Of all the reasons for his departure, that is the most telling and, for anyone who wants the party to have a future, the most disturbing.'

Anniebach Sat 14-Jan-17 23:24:36

This should then work the other way, no deselection, they stay an MP for five years

rubysong Sat 14-Jan-17 23:17:01

I think when an MP is elected they should stay in place until the next election. By elections must be very costly to put on, and we have to pay. If an MP resigns 'on a point of principal' or because they are offered a job they like better they should meet the cost of the by election. I don't see why we should pay. This would apply to MPs of any party who triggered a by election.

varian Sat 14-Jan-17 22:23:51

When I heard that the MP called Hunt had resigned I assumed it was Jeremy Hunt and that thought cheered me up. Pity I got it wrong!

Jalima Sat 14-Jan-17 16:07:33

threads, not just that thread!

Jalima Sat 14-Jan-17 16:06:51

Iam64
thought I'd say I agree with you
You are very wise, if everyone agreed with me then they would be no grumpy exchanges on the thread, says she sagely, nodding her head. grin

Anniebach
I was just trying to say that if someone is not happy with the way things are going, the way the leader is leading, then it is time to look elsewhere rather than compromise your principles. Where would he go - he is probably not leaving the Labour Party and joining another one, he probably thinks it has left him.

And he, not having come into politics straight from University, has another string to his bow and another career to pursue. Build on your strengths as some would say.

Anniebach Sat 14-Jan-17 10:23:52

So two labour MP's leaving, quite possibly Burnham in May, and another is going to stand down in February. Who will leave March !

Anniebach Sat 14-Jan-17 10:15:58

A political party is not on the same level as Tesco . The boss of a company cannot be compared with a leader of a party. Corbyn is not a boss

Iam64 Sat 14-Jan-17 09:01:49

Jalima, thought I'd say I agree with you because having had a quick look at some of the grumpy exchanges on other threads, an outbreak of consensus might just brighten our morning.

Jalima Fri 13-Jan-17 23:24:02

Who can blame him for turning down such a plum job? He is a historian, wasn't he a presenter of history programmes before becoming an MP?

And if a person is not happy with their boss and the way the firm, the party, the organisation is being run then is it not time to take another job if offered?

He has not said any more about his differences with Corbyn today which is admirable, I think, because he could have really put the knife in had he wished to.

Good luck to him.

And good luck to Stoke Central. I think that Labour could well get in again as long as they pick the right candidate (not an extremist) - but will they see that?

Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 23:01:36

Not a wise comparison was it Iam?

Iam64 Fri 13-Jan-17 22:57:33

I was almost surprised to hear Ken compare Corbyn with Donald Trump as though that's a positive thing. Then I took another look at Ken who does look raddled and seems to have lost his mojo.

Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 22:51:07

Ken Livingston has also said Hunt standing down is a new era for labour . That's the way to win an election, have Livingston and Galloway stand shoulder to shoulder with him

Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 22:48:07

But you wrote a long list of Gove's actions and a comment about Hunts Christian name,

No, it is not an anti Corbyn thread , not much point in discussing the leadership of the Lib leader on a thread discussing a labour MP and no use claiming every thread which critcises Corbyns leadership is an anti Corbyn thread , you expect applause every time his name is mentioned ?

You just cannot bring yourself to admit he puts s foot wrong , that's not political discussion,

JessM Fri 13-Jan-17 22:25:35

Oh right, this is another anti-Corbyn thread. Silly me. Nothing to do with Hunt's feeble record when he was given a chance to progress in politics. See ya.

Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 22:11:14

Ken .livingston just been on tv defending his friend , he said Corbyn was like
Trump and Farage, he says what he thinks . Fair enough, but not very bright thinking he had to sit on the floor of a train because there was no empty seat , and hiding behind a glass door , bright?

Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 22:04:30

yes, I think most reading this thread on Hunt and the Labour Party are aware of what Gove did when in education - distraction

JessM Fri 13-Jan-17 21:43:58

Hunt did an appalling job as Shadow Secretary of State for Education.
While Gove was wreaking havoc with the English school system, Hunt seemed to be supportive, rather than providing opposition.
On his watch Gove was:
Preventing local authorities from planning new schools
Approving free schools in a wide range of unsuitable temporary premises (still in them in many cases)
Spending a fortune on setting up unnecessary free schools
Pressuring schools that were already improving into becoming academies - when there is no evidence that they would do any better.
Re-hashing the exam system unnecessarily and against the advice of education professionals causing extra work for hard pressed teachers.
During this and the 2015 election, Hunt was no better than flabby in opposition giving the impression he thought all of the above was a jolly good show.
Apparently George Osborne tweeted that it would be a while before there was another Labour MP called Tristram. smile

Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 20:00:02

I am not blaming Corbyn for any right wing swing, I blame him for clinging to politics from a past age and for his stance - my way or no way.

On a personal level I am angry that he betrayed me and many, many more activists who work their socks off from 1983 to 2007 to revive the party whilst he was working against us , no loyalty to the party with him

Lazigirl Fri 13-Jan-17 19:43:22

Its too easy to blame Corbyn's failings for the right wing swing that is happening here and in fact all over Europe and in America too. I think people feel powerless in our so called democracy and want to exert some control.

Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 19:10:35

Havers must be true blue Tory because his fsther was?

Oh well

Eloethan Fri 13-Jan-17 19:00:19

So?

nigglynellie Fri 13-Jan-17 18:54:50

Sir Michael Havers died in 1992!!