Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anti-Trump Demonstration Today

(297 Posts)
Rinouchka Sat 21-Jan-17 19:15:03

Today, I participated in the Women's March to The American Embassy in London in protest against Trump's attitude to women and to his proposed plans.
There were thousands of woman( and some men, babies in slings and pushchairs, marching children, even dogs on leads), all using the only method left to us to express our solidarity. It was cold, the sun shone, drums beat and people chatted, shared case histories, laughed, sand, cheered to each helicopter flying overhead and marched until they could move no more.
The police were wonderful and it was peaceful all round, full of goodwill.
There were hundreds of pink pussycat hats, original handmade placards and slogans, even a huge vagina in cardboard. My favourite was a placard( in background of one of the photos attached) stating thus:
A woman needs Trump
Like a fish needs climate change.

My DH, who was with me, thinks that the march, especially one in a foreign country, is a feel good moment for the participants but otherwise useless. Trump is now president and such marches, DH thinks, will do nothing to change the course of his government.

I disagree.

What do Gransnetters think?

durhamjen Wed 25-Jan-17 00:17:17

Any Americans on here, the Guardian has had to put a link on to allow people to contact them securely.
Who thinks electing Trump was a good thing now?

Not the right place for this, but if you read it, you'll see why I put it here.
thegreatcritique.wordpress.com/2017/01/24/brexitopia-a-short-play/

durhamjen Wed 25-Jan-17 00:12:29

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/24/epa-department-agriculture-social-media-gag-order-trump

It seems that only Trump's propaganda is allowed now. Can't wait for the next lot of marches - and I presume the Sioux are still going to barricade the pipeline.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 24-Jan-17 15:03:02

Just read the comment and apparently the map is missing Montana.

"You're missing Montana! We had 10,000 people in Helena, which alone would be the 8th largest town in MT"

whitewave Tue 24-Jan-17 15:02:16

Astounding!!

GracesGranMK2 Tue 24-Jan-17 14:58:55

Thought some would find this interesting. I thought it was worth linking especially for the map.

www.vox.com/2017/1/22/14350808/womens-marches-largest-demonstration-us-history-map

durhamjen Mon 23-Jan-17 22:30:16

That wasn't to do with the march, though, roses. The marches were peaceful.
There are photos showing police in Atlanta high-fiving and hugging the marchers.

rosesarered Mon 23-Jan-17 22:22:38

Not the placards mess that is the worst though....the looting and damage to cars and buildings ?

trisher Mon 23-Jan-17 22:19:19

Usually with demos the placards are left in one place and an army of volunteers then bag and bin them, or recycle depending on local provision. Some of course choose to take their placard home. If everyone tried to find a bin themselves there would be chaos.

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 21:23:20

It certainly leaves a mark, so to speak. Pretty effective demonstrating, I'd say.

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 21:22:31

I thought the placing of placards visibly and obviously where the marches took place was part of the demonstration against Trump.

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 21:17:20

It is only one photo, elegran. I saw several others. Can't say I noticed cleanliness, but why would the placards have been walked on? Were they not carried aloft during the demos and then just put down? Who says they were walked on?

Not arguing, as such, just puzzling. Anti-antiTrump groups would have to be terrible organised to make all those placards and place them deliberately. Not impossible, obviously, but how likely really?

Just puzzling smile

It wouldn't surprise or puzzle me if people just dumped their demo placards before going home.

Anniebach Mon 23-Jan-17 19:52:10

So the Ameerican, British, French, Australian, New Zealand press all exaggerated

I would like to say not all charities are RC, many charities working in the third world give advice on birth control and abortion, not American charities now

whitewave Mon 23-Jan-17 19:01:19

They will continue for as long as they get away with it. This is still the honeymoon period, so he knows he can get away with almost anything. The test will be later when the shine has worn off and he can't deliver.

varian Mon 23-Jan-17 18:57:35

Kellyanne Conway looked extremely uncomfortable telling the media that the White House spokesman had presented "alternative facts" (ie lies). I wonder how long she, and other Trump acolytes can carry on this charade.

trisher Mon 23-Jan-17 18:27:50

thatbags perhaps not but having been on several marches and demonstrations I know that violence is usually latched onto by the media as something to highlight. So if there was considerable amounts of it I would have expected there to be more widespread reporting of it. I understand that not all catholics support Trump, however I also think that there are many particularly within the hierarchy of the church who see his appointment as an ideal opportunity to change what they regard as an evil law. I think it is perfectly legitimate therefore to question the validity of a writer who criticises demonstrators supporting that law.

whitewave Mon 23-Jan-17 18:15:34

This happens on every big march, all around the world. Only Trump would make a big issue of it trying to deny the integrity of the protest.

See he's denying aid agency further funding if they give advise on abortion. So pregnancy as a result of rape/war? You must continue to suffer the consequences or abandon the baby. The mans a fool.

Elegran Mon 23-Jan-17 18:12:21

It is very clean to be a photo of debris left after all those women have tramped all over it. No footprints, no rubbish other than pristine banners and leaflets.

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 18:09:32

put

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 18:09:18

It's certainly possible that the placards were out in place by people wishing to generate "alternative" interpretations but, given the size of the demonstrations, and given the number of placards being carried by people demonstrating against Trump, I wil, without further evidence, remain highly sceptical of that idea.

It has not happened in just one place either.

durhamjen Mon 23-Jan-17 18:00:07

That's interesting, Rinouchka. All lined up on the footpath, all face up. Alternative, I think.

Rinouchka Mon 23-Jan-17 17:56:18

Have already attached this image to another thread but should be here as it supposedly shows the mess left behind in DC once the protesters had gone. Condemnation all round by Trump . How accurate is this image...or could it be an alternative one?

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 17:55:34

trisher, judging a man entirely on his Catholicism and support for an anti-abortion stance is not relevant to actual observation and recording of violence by demonstrators. I know this because my father was a Catholic and opposed to abortion but Trump would have given him an apoplexy.

You might not agree with a person on several (even most) things but that doesn't mean they are incapable of accurately reporting something. I'm shocked at the evident prejudice of your attitude.

I'm not saying Ed West has accurately reported something, only that you have no non-prejudicial evidence that he hasn't.

Jalima Mon 23-Jan-17 17:43:44

Of course everyone is entitled to peacefully protest but sometimes crowds like this do impact on the everyday lives of others who may have to get to work, to important appointments etc.
And sometimes good manners seem to be fly out of the window if people are intent on protesting and not caring about their fellow citizens (including other females) who are then unable to get to where they need to be.

Just thought that is worth consideration too.

Jalima Mon 23-Jan-17 11:44:41

However, I will agree with you that these do not appear to have been mentioned in the NEW website.
Websites can be updated - we hope

GracesGranMK2 Mon 23-Jan-17 11:10:23

daphnedill started it

How old are you Firecracker123?