Gransnet forums

News & politics

UKIP leader

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Wed 25-Jan-17 18:22:23

Paul Nuttell is according to the poles is 10% ahead in the Stoke bi-election, so I thought I would look at some of his beliefs. I was astounded at how similar they are to Trumps.

1. Privatisation of the NHS - this has been taken from his website because he needs the votes. Privatisation of the NHS doesn't attract votes.

2. Wants a referendum to vote on restricting woman's rights. He is anti-abortion, and believes that there should be a ban on adverts for family planning and abortion.

3. Burka ban. In all public buildings.

4. Against banning discrimination against gays.

5. So he believes in placing restrictions on Muslim belief/culture, but is against any restriction to Christian beliefs.

6. Thinks sexist comment are OK, and against placing restrictions on these type of comments.

No wonder he was so thrilled when Trump won the election.

Ana Sat 25-Feb-17 16:51:23

I'd have thought you'd still expect your Leader to make some sort of noise about it, even so. But I know he needs protecting from all this 'other' stuff...hmm

durhamjen Sat 25-Feb-17 16:49:15

By the way, we wouldn't be discussing this if it wasn't for labour party members.

durhamjen Sat 25-Feb-17 16:42:10

Why should sending child asylum seekers back to where they fled from when they reach 18 be party political. It's actually humanitarian, but I wouldn't expect you two to understand that.

durhamjen Sat 25-Feb-17 16:40:08

The sort of response expected from Paul Nuttall. He's all heart, too.

nigglynellie Sat 25-Feb-17 15:36:01

Better still, change your leader, win the next election and do something about it! At the moment I guess there'll be hardly a whisper!

Ana Sat 25-Feb-17 15:22:30

Wel, I do hope Corbyn's onto this.

durhamjen Sat 25-Feb-17 15:17:56

"Unaccompanied children who come to the UK are granted temporary leave to remain, which does not offer the same protections as refugee status, and is revoked when the minors turn 18. Though children can apply for asylum, the chances of getting it are just 17 percent, the TBIJ reports.

Louise Haigh told the bureau: “These shocking figures reveal the shameful reality behind our asylum system.”

“Children who flee countries ravaged by war in the most appalling of circumstances are granted safe haven and build a life here in the UK but at the age of 18 can be forced onto a charter flight and back to a dangerous country they have no links to and barely any memory of.” "

Only a 17% chance of being granted asylum at 18. No wonder there are lots of illegal immigrants in the UK.

durhamjen Sat 25-Feb-17 15:12:26

"Thousands of young people who sought refuge in Britain as unaccompanied child asylum-seekers have been deported to repressive regimes and countries partly controlled by Isis and the Taliban, the Home Office has admitted. Over the past nine years 2,748 young people – many of whom had spent formative years in the UK, forging friendships and going to school – have been returned to countries including Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Libya and Syria.

The figures were finally published by the Home Office minister James Brokenshire this week. Previous Home Office figures significantly understated the scale of the deportations.
The bulk of those deported – some 2,018 – were sent to Afghanistan, but around 60 young people have been deported to Iraq since 2014, the year Isis seized control of swathes of the country. The findings, which were triggered by questions from the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and the Labour MP Louise Haigh, raise serious concerns about what happens to child asylum-seekers when they turn 18, and at a time when Britain is being urged to help thousands of orphaned child refugees from Syria."

This was a year ago, when May was in charge of the home office.
Who would you like to blame for this, Ana?

durhamjen Sat 25-Feb-17 15:08:45

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwioza2Iw6vSAhUM0mMKHcb3B_kQFghSMAk&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-35861970&usg=AFQjCNGsAmIY9qz8cIBYbAS6XNAQWZbFjw

Hasn't changed in a year.

JessM Sat 25-Feb-17 14:57:53

And the PM has been in charge of this area for 5 years as home secretary. Don't see her successor going off at a tangent do we. PM still got her hand on the tiller.
University vice chancellors are deeply disappointed in what the two of them have done and not done in the last few months.

Welshwife Sat 25-Feb-17 14:56:43

The buck stops somewhere!
The rules should be made so that these people can stay - we are talking about training people and someone in UK for that long should count within that.
I worry about these children who will be granted asylum - what will they do if deported when they are 18?

Rigby46 Sat 25-Feb-17 14:46:06

That's a silly response Ana - the PM could intervene if she wished. I've read the full story and it's heartbreaking.

Ana Sat 25-Feb-17 14:38:27

And Theresa May personally ordered that deportation, did she?

JessM Sat 25-Feb-17 14:34:11

I think there is something in the PM being not far off from UKIP. There's a student near here, 3 months off getting an excellent degree in engineering, who's been here as an asylum seeker since she was 12, whisked out of her student accommodation in handcuffs, dragged off to Yarlswood and booked to be sent off on a plane on Tuesday. That's immigration á la May for you. Draconian. And downright stupid given the qualification she was going to get.

durhamjen Sat 25-Feb-17 14:23:46

Paul Nuttall's history of blaming someone else for things he said or wrote goes back to when he was a 23 year old student of history.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/25/paul-nuttalls-troubled-relationship-with-the-truth-finally-catches-up-with-him

rosesarered Sat 25-Feb-17 14:04:20

Well....both have their followers!grin

Good post Jalima you said it, so I don't need to.

Anniebach Sat 25-Feb-17 12:51:39

Yes you niggly, speaking of Mickey in the same sentence as that man grin

nigglynellie Sat 25-Feb-17 11:25:48

What me ab?!! grin

Jalima Sat 25-Feb-17 10:31:36

The real work is being done by civil servants and her strategy and speeches will be planned by a team of advisors.

So even Corbyn could be in charge of the country and it wouldn't make a jot of difference confused

There's nothing exceptional about Theresa May, apart from the fact that she was the last woman standing after Cameron departed.
Nothing exceptional except for an extremely sharp brain, an excellent education and years and years of experience in politics and government.

No, perhaps Corbyn could not lead the country even with a lot of advisers .....

Anniebach Sat 25-Feb-17 10:22:20

niggly, please don't be unkind to Mickey Mouse X

MawBroon Sat 25-Feb-17 10:17:59

Who exactly is belittling Theresa May? UKIP/Farage/Nuttall, yes.
The remark about No 10 which is being interpreted as "belittling" TM came from the Lib Dems confused

daphnedill Sat 25-Feb-17 10:11:44

Have I criticised her? hmm

nigglynellie Sat 25-Feb-17 10:10:12

'He'll have to take that suit back to the fancy dress shop'! I give up!!!confused
Presumably then, if it's all down to civil servants and government officials and advisors, why constantly criticise Mrs May, as clearly it's probably not what she really thinks anyway! Train up Mickey Mouse to negotiate with the EU (no I didn't mean Mr Corbyn) for all it matters!

daphnedill Sat 25-Feb-17 09:13:47

That is just daft! There's nothing exceptional about Theresa May, apart from the fact that she was the last woman standing after Cameron departed.

The real work is being done by civil servants and her strategy and speeches will be planned by a team of advisors.

Let's wait until Article 50 has been invoked to see whether any kind of successful negotiation (ie one which satisfies more than a handful of people) is even remotely possible.

suzied Sat 25-Feb-17 09:12:20

He'll have to take that suit back to the fancy dress shop.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion