Gransnet forums

News & politics

UKIP leader

(1000 Posts)
whitewave Wed 25-Jan-17 18:22:23

Paul Nuttell is according to the poles is 10% ahead in the Stoke bi-election, so I thought I would look at some of his beliefs. I was astounded at how similar they are to Trumps.

1. Privatisation of the NHS - this has been taken from his website because he needs the votes. Privatisation of the NHS doesn't attract votes.

2. Wants a referendum to vote on restricting woman's rights. He is anti-abortion, and believes that there should be a ban on adverts for family planning and abortion.

3. Burka ban. In all public buildings.

4. Against banning discrimination against gays.

5. So he believes in placing restrictions on Muslim belief/culture, but is against any restriction to Christian beliefs.

6. Thinks sexist comment are OK, and against placing restrictions on these type of comments.

No wonder he was so thrilled when Trump won the election.

whitewave Wed 25-Jan-17 18:50:50

I can't find a ukip manifesto that covers the entire country. Is there one?

rosesarered Wed 25-Jan-17 18:51:45

The Poles? hmm

rosesarered Wed 25-Jan-17 18:52:07

grin

Ana Wed 25-Jan-17 18:53:54

There must be a lot of them in Stoke...confused

whitewave Wed 25-Jan-17 18:55:04

Silly billiesgrin

whitewave Wed 25-Jan-17 19:13:40

Oh I forgot climate change denier.

MaizieD Wed 25-Jan-17 19:40:47

And you say he is 10% ahead in the polls?

That is really frightening.

daphnedill Wed 25-Jan-17 19:50:19

Nuttall is a practising pro-life Catholic, who is totally opposed to gay marriage. He has already been using his beliefs to try to attract Catholic votes.

daphnedill Wed 25-Jan-17 19:54:53

Sorry, forgot this link from 2015:

www.thetablet.co.uk/news/1834/0/ukip-claims-to-be-in-line-with-catholic-thought-ahead-of-meeting-with-bishops

daphnedill Wed 25-Jan-17 20:01:44

I was reading the comments on a local Stoke newspaper earlier and I think he probably stands a good chance. The reasons being given seem similar to those which some people claim that people in the North East had for voting Brexit ie a protest vote, everybody else is cr*p, so we might as well vote UKIP. Frightening!

Ankers Wed 25-Jan-17 20:52:38

I think this is an interesting article
[those who are anti Daily Mail look away now]
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4145858/Paul-Nuttall-claims-Labour-betrayed-working-class.html

Anniebach Wed 25-Jan-17 21:22:23

There were four on the short list for Stoke, but one, a doctor from A & E has withdrawn

Anniebach Wed 25-Jan-17 21:34:59

Sorry, on the short list for labour

daphnedill Wed 25-Jan-17 22:36:42

It's difficult to know what people in Stoke think UKIP would do for them. I think everybody realises the problem is that Stoke's former industry has collapsed, but I have never read anywhere about UKIP having any kind of expansionist industrial policy.

Anniebach Wed 25-Jan-17 23:15:29

No more difficult than knowing why UKIP are increasing dupport in other parts of the country

daphnedill Wed 25-Jan-17 23:31:51

So why? It seems like nothing more than a protest vote by angry people. Stoke does not have a high number of immigrants, so that can't be the reason. It does, however, have high unemployment. Nuttall is in favour of reducing benefits even further and, to my knowledge, has never said anything about encouraging business, which is what the town needs. He would also be in favour of selling off more of the NHS, cutting taxes for the more wealthy and not increasing funding for social care - he's on record as saying this quite recently. So how does any of that help people who are struggling? He's a former Conservative, who thought the Conservatives were too soft.

Mair Thu 26-Jan-17 00:37:00

Any evidence for your detailed claims for Nuttalls views, espcially the privatisation of the NHS?

daphnedill Thu 26-Jan-17 08:29:01

Yes, plenty. Five minutes with Google will find it.

f77ms Thu 26-Jan-17 08:40:14

He comes across as your typical `angry little man` . I live about 25 miles from Stoke and it is a very depressed area so cannot understand why anyone would vote for him with his views . I have heard him say that he would like more competition in the NHS , that can only mean privatisation . I find the move to the far right with the rise of the anti abortion , anti immigrant, bring back hanging brigade very disturbing .

Ankers Thu 26-Jan-17 08:46:03

and it is a very depressed area so cannot understand why anyone would vote for him with his views .

That might be it in that case.
They want change.

I think some parties promise change and dont deliver.
Not that I would want the UKIP changes.

daphnedill Thu 26-Jan-17 08:54:36

I get that, so what positive change is UKIP offering?

They seem very negative. Change isn't always for the better. I wouldn't want their changes either.

Stoke had a very low turn-out in the last genersal election. I think (but could be wrong) that it was lower than 50%. I can understand that, but I don't understand why having a UKIP MP would improve the situation.

daphnedill Thu 26-Jan-17 08:55:39

f77ms I find it disturbing too. It's 1932/3 Germany all over again.

Anniebach Thu 26-Jan-17 09:00:52

Daphne, again I will say places with low immigration can FEAR immigration so it can be the reason, I am not saying it is , I am saying it can.

sunseeker Thu 26-Jan-17 09:02:40

Perhaps UKIP are being more successful because they are actually listening to what people want. For too long both major parties have ignored what the voting public have been saying. UKIP listened. I am not a supporter of UKIP but see their rise as a failure by the main political parties.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion