Gransnet forums

News & politics

Melania and equality

(361 Posts)
thatbags Thu 26-Jan-17 08:07:12

Certain pictures and 'stories' about Donald and Melania Trump are appearing repeatedly on Twitter. It's interesting to compare interpretations.

This one, where Donald gets out of the limo and goes up the steps to meet the Obamas while Melania gets out of the far side of the vehicle and walks up by herself has provoked a lot of discussion reaction.

The most common interpretation is that Donald is a boor/ungentlemanly for not waiting for Melania and walking up the steps with her. I suspect this is based on the premise that he's a boor anyway and, besides, people hate him.

Another interpretation is that he is more of a gender egalitarian than we think because he was behaving just as he would have done if Melania were a man.

The latter interpretation made me wonder if Theresa May 'waits for' Philip May in similar circumstances or whether he just 'follows' in due course?

Mair Mon 30-Jan-17 22:23:52

There are many tyrants and despots in this world

And many many more who yearn to be, including a few on Gransnet!
grin

rosesarered Mon 30-Jan-17 22:01:05

.....but this thread was about Melania and not Donald.Though I agree it's time to put this thread to bed ( other views are available) but going after Melania in a very unfair and unpleasant way was never good.moon

Penstemmon Mon 30-Jan-17 21:54:40

I am not engaging further after this. There are many tyrants and despots in this world. I do not agree with that style of government. I sometimes agree with the cause being fought for but not always with the methods used to achieve the goal.
Trump has enough alternative ways to manage terrorism without his racist policies. On that alone I find him despicable. UKIP and other racist political groups are bound to side with this attitude.

rosesarered Mon 30-Jan-17 20:54:46

Considered response! Rather stuffy comment.

Iam64 Mon 30-Jan-17 19:19:25

Spot on night owl. Tedious.

nightowl Mon 30-Jan-17 19:04:22

Not worth your considered response Penstemmon. They're on a roll. Probably best to leave them to it, it's boring now.

rosesarered Mon 30-Jan-17 18:18:20

No! grin

Mair Mon 30-Jan-17 18:07:57

"I expect anyone who supports ideas of creating a system of second class citizens for a particular group of people based on their religion/ethnicty etc. will support /defend Trump"

I very much doubt that. Most Middle Eastern countries including Israel do adopt some sought of ethno/religious based discrimination, yet I wouldnt bank on their all supporting Trump, would you?

Penstemmon Mon 30-Jan-17 11:03:24

Mair You know nothing about me, my life, my experiences. You know nothing of my sleeping either.

I have not been unkind about a woman I do not know, in fact I explicitly said it was wrong to make any comments about MTs physical appearance/dress etc.

I stand by my opinion of the potential tyrant Trump. I expect anyone who supports ideas of creating a system of second class citizens for a particular group of people based on their religion/ethnicty etc. will support /defend Trump.

I do not support that.

petra Mon 30-Jan-17 08:49:01

Obviously the 'wrong sort of migrant' Mair wink

Firecracker123 Mon 30-Jan-17 08:44:12

I would have Melania Trump has a wonderful life surrounded by her loving family and living in luxury, unlike most of us oaps on here living on state pension.

Mair Mon 30-Jan-17 08:34:29

rosesarered
Petra I have never seen worse bitching about a woman who has done no harm to anybody ,in all my life, yes you're right there in your last sentence

Thirded!!

It's ironic given that Melania is an immigrantt to the USA, and in these circumstances the spiteful comments about her English and IQ were arguably racist.

Were she of any skin tone but 'white' the usual culprits would not have dared spew a word of this bile against her. Some of the comments should have been removed.

thatbags Mon 30-Jan-17 07:05:39

Some, possibly many, people manage to disagree in a civilised way. I reckon that's usually all there is to it.

absent Mon 30-Jan-17 04:49:25

I admit I have never heard Melania Trump speak in public apart from the Michelle Obama repetition, so I have no idea how supportive or otherwise she may be about her husband's weird ideas and plans. I also understand that wives will often remain with and support husbands who are abusive, unfaithful and appalling in all sorts of ways, through fear, through worry about financial difficulties, through insecurity, because they have a child or children or for any number of personal reasons.

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone leaving or divorcing a husband for reasons of political disagreement, particularly when they have a very comfortable life – or is that a rather nasty comment?

durhamjen Sun 29-Jan-17 23:40:36

How nasty, mair. Expected, though.

Mair Sun 29-Jan-17 23:37:23

"So far I am completely distressed and rather afraid by her husbands words and actions"

That should allow you to empathise with the feelings of millions of Germans about their leaders words and actions - which directly affect their lives and their families.

You concerns about Trump are comparatively shallow. I doubt you've lost a single nights sleep over it, or ever will!

Jalima Sun 29-Jan-17 23:19:32

How many women fall in love with someone that the rest of womankind would find questionable and would not touch with a bargepole?
How many times have any of you said 'what on earth does she see in him, he's awful'.

Penstemmon Sun 29-Jan-17 21:29:26

Well..what a thread. I, andI assume everyone on here is the same, do not know MT or DT personally. DT I feel I can make some judgements on. He has said enough on public stages for me to know we are poles apart on most core values.

Melania, imo, must agree with many of his opinions. As someone has said she is not unintelligent,though seems to have a poor sense of judgement as her choice of partner and the lie about her academic qualification illustrates. She will have known what it meant to be First lady/what he is like as a person. What she lookes like , wears etc. should not be up for comment. Actions and words are what anyone should be judged on.

So far I am completely distressed and rather afraid by her husbands words and actions.

rosesarered Sun 29-Jan-17 20:50:50

Petra I have never seen worse bitching about a woman who has done no harm to anybody ,in all my life, yes you're right there in your last sentence.

rosesarered Sun 29-Jan-17 20:47:56

Mind how you go on Mumsnet! grin Libel laws and all that.

petra Sun 29-Jan-17 19:49:11

I don't recall the posters who are slating Melania for lying doing the same when it came to adult migrants claiming to be children to gain access to this country.
So it's ok to lie sometimes if it suits your cause. But in the case of 'some' posters, their cause.

Rigby46 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:18:32

Oh dear dear dear roses - please don't tell me you really think I don't know what the pathetic phrase 'man up' means? And I got the kettle/pan/pot phrase wrong. Well at least I didn't think that the Lib Dem peers were in the majority in the Lords. This thread is just a bit tedious now - I couldn't give a flying fig about the appearance of any FLOTUS but making up qualifications you haven't got is at best stupid and at worst deceitful. I think I'll go and play with the grown ups for a bit now on MN

durhamjen Sun 29-Jan-17 19:03:00

No, I've said that people shouldn't lie.
If you think it's okay for Melania to lie, is it okay for those on benefits to lie?

Ana Sun 29-Jan-17 18:38:40

I don't know what you mean about someone on benefits lying.

Why is compassion needed in that instance? Is lying OK when you're on benefits, but not otherewise? What an odd moral compass you have...

durhamjen Sun 29-Jan-17 18:30:38

What? I'm sure she will be very grateful.
I do feel sorry for her being married to Donald. I don't feel sorry for her lying and being found out.
You wouldn't feel the same if someone on benefits lied, would you? I haven't noticed your compassion there, where it's needed.