Gransnet forums

News & politics

Reluctant to join the discussion.

(275 Posts)
morethan2 Wed 01-Feb-17 22:45:21

I occasionally drop in on the political threads. Just a quick look. Today I noted that there was a query of sorts saying that some of us regular uses never comment or join in the debate. I just wondered why? I know why I don't. Apart from the fact that I'm having a particularly difficult time dealing with family illness the reasons are.
1 the threads are far too long so I have difficulty keeping up
2 the posters seem so clever and politically acute that I don't feel I have enough knowledge.
3 I haven't got the time to check my facts so am reluctant to just express my feelings
4 the posters can be very robust if they don't agree with each other.
5 perhaps I'm a bit wimpish and can't take the backlash if I disagree with a post.
Maybe I'm a bit delicate. How do others feel?

Anniebach Mon 06-Feb-17 18:34:33

He went in Holiday during the campaign leading to the referendum and refused to appear in tv debates , yet other labour MP's are criticised by corbynites for not supporting him. I am accused here if having a personal vendetta against the man

I have more respect for the Tory , green and lib leaders than I could have for him

nigglynellie Mon 06-Feb-17 18:28:10

Threatening his MPs at all is a bit bizarre bearing in mind that he consistently over many years defied the Labour leadership - again contradictory behaviour?

Ana Mon 06-Feb-17 17:30:07

He's very odd and contradictory, isn't he?

He orders his party members to vote for the government's bill, but isn't going to take any disciplinary action if they went against that instruction.

It seems he is giving tacit permission to them to do the same at any time in the future, so what's the point of him being leader?

nigglynellie Mon 06-Feb-17 17:18:48

I think voting Remain was hypocritical, when everyone knows that JC had been anti the EU all his political life!

Anniebach Mon 06-Feb-17 16:53:06

If he acts on impulse then he no different to Trump, I do not mean his politics, speaks/acts before thinking of the consequences and it was not impulse which caused him to plot against a leader and party activists,

Firecracker123 Mon 06-Feb-17 16:52:19

He is useless but long may be reign.

sunseeker Mon 06-Feb-17 16:49:38

When he was elected I said that I felt he was probably a decent man but was elected beyond his abilities and he is now so out of his depth he is practically drowning.

petra Mon 06-Feb-17 16:47:06

Meant to add, both useless articles.

petra Mon 06-Feb-17 16:46:18

he seems to react on impulse so do jelly fish.

TriciaF Mon 06-Feb-17 16:11:44

I don't know about him being a hypocrite, I think it's more that he means well, but has no tactical political instinct whatsoever. He seems to react on impulse.
imo anyway.

nigglynellie Mon 06-Feb-17 15:52:23

I too hate hypocrisy wherever it comes from, but sadly these days it's seems rife on all fronts.

Anniebach Mon 06-Feb-17 15:20:20

Seems Corbyn is not going to sack anyone who votes against the whip at the next vote, he claims he is a very lenient person. Wasn't lenient when he sacked Hilary Benn was he. I do have a problem with hypocrisy

So enforcing the whip but no matter if it is ignored , solves the problem of trying to fill shadow cabinet posts for the third time in less than two years

nigglynellie Mon 06-Feb-17 15:11:25

Do you think D Abbott will be overcome by illness next time there's a vote? I know, my guess is as good as yours! but it's certainly looking a bit tricky and, look at it what way you will, it's not good in more ways than one! We really could do with some proper thoughtful meaningful debate, not point scoring, not shouting, (on all sides!) but decent conversation and pooled ideas to get a satisfactory deal both for us and Europe. Surely that's not asking the impossible?!

Anniebach Mon 06-Feb-17 14:33:22

Well, I wish he would stop wearing it, he looks a plonker and I adore Tom Courtney.

He is to choose his new shadow cabinet this week, beggers the question, take the number who voted against the whip, add the number who will not join his shadow cabinet , the number of empty positions still waiting to be filled from the second attempt, not spoilt for choice is he.

Jalima Mon 06-Feb-17 14:10:14

and it is supposed to read:
a big wodge not a bit wodge!
or wadge

nigglynellie Mon 06-Feb-17 14:02:35

I think it's Wadge, but on the other hand Wodge is also sighted! So I suppose it can be either!!
ab, I expect he thinks he looks cool and up to the minute in that hat poor soul, and who are we to burst that bubble?!!!!

petra Mon 06-Feb-17 13:35:08

Yes, anniebach and, come the revolution brother, the Rolls Royce is mine.

Anniebach Mon 06-Feb-17 11:50:30

Wish he would stop wearing that damn hat , I keep expecting a young Tom Courtney to appear , Dr Shivargo and all that - up the revaluation ,

petra Mon 06-Feb-17 10:35:53

Lol roses I know I've said it before, but it's worth repeating ' he's the gift that keeps on giving' grin

Ana Mon 06-Feb-17 10:21:37

I'm looking forward to the next series, he can always be relied upon to raise a laugh, whatever else is going on in the world!

rosesarered Mon 06-Feb-17 09:19:31

I agree ab.... it seems that it's just life.

GGM2 'the glass doors' was from a comedy classic from Corbyn, the episode where he hides froma reporter asking a question, whilst two attractive young women shield him from such effrontery and attempt to black out the camera by holding papers against the lens.The best episode of the series! grin

Anniebach Mon 06-Feb-17 09:01:07

We just have to accept no matter how much good effort is put into a thread up will pop one who want to make personal attacks, such a pity

GracesGranMK2 Mon 06-Feb-17 08:56:00

Thank Jalima. Sometime I think this forum exists in a parallel world. Actually, reading Anker's post after yours I now know the forum is from a parallel world smile

rosesarered Mon 06-Feb-17 08:52:09

Thank you Ankers it was worth a go.smile

Ankers Mon 06-Feb-17 06:20:17

I think rosesarered should be commended for trying to make the news and politics board a much more civil place to post and be, for all.