Gransnet forums

News & politics

Phil Shiner Human Rights Lawyer ' struck off ' for misconduct.

(72 Posts)
POGS Fri 03-Feb-17 12:18:25

There have been various threads in the past that brought Phil Shiner and other Lawyers into our ' discussions ' when talking of the prosecutions of our soldiers.

Some posters either opposed/found wanting what he and to my mind possibly others were doing. Some posters thought the proverbial sunshine shone out of his proverbial backside.

I could bump threads to prove my point but at the end of the day the fact Phil Shiner has been ' Struck Off for Misconduct' has been so pleasing to hear.

I do not think for one minute the fact he was Struck Off can make up for the lives of those service men and women he literally ruined.

I think the words and terms used to describe the reasons as to why he was found guilty of misconduct are evidence enough as to how I feel , not only about Phil Shiner but the others who must have at one time or another colluded/conspired with his deeds and actions, he could hardly have done it all by himself could he. My regret would be they get off lightly but no doubt they will be allowed to because of lack of will.

Terms and words used.

Struck off for Misconduct.
Ambulance Chasing Lawyer.
Persued a Witch Hunt.
Dishonesty.
Lack of Integrity.
False Witness Accounts.
Peddled Iraqi Lies.

I could go on but I hope now he has had his credibility and honesty shattered cases he (and other lawyers) were involved in finally receive due diligence and the likes of the Al-Sweady cases are a good place to start.

I hope there are those who have the ability to take this further will do so as I fail to see how there is no prosecutable sentence that may apply to his actions.

A total travesty of justice has been allowed and the Ministry of Defence should show a ruddy backbone for once and back our Armed Services Personnel who have been treated so badly.

Penstemmon Fri 03-Feb-17 17:14:05

Once those working in the justice system are

a)beholden to a political party/cause through pay or election

b) not honest/trustworthy & not able to act within the law themselves

then the British legal system is not going to be able to function effectively.

There are bad apples in all strata of socienty and in all occupations/professions. It appears Shiner was one. That does not mean that some soldiers did not behave criminally but it does mean Shiner did.

He seems to have behaved like the lynch mobs and kangaroo courts that do anything to 'get justice' even if it is the wrong person punished. A skewed view of and a disservice to justice.

IF the soldiers were guilty and Shiner fabricated evidence the chance of real justice is gone, IF the soldiers are innocent they & their families have suffered great injustice.

petra Fri 03-Feb-17 17:52:50

POGSIn answer to you question to maizieD, it wouldn't surprise me if she was referring to Alexander Blackman.

POGS Fri 03-Feb-17 18:59:24

Ah, thanks Petra.

Jalima Fri 03-Feb-17 19:16:19

We should be able to maintain a certain level of civilised behaviour in our legal system too don't you think?

How true, I agree wholeheartedly.

POGS Sat 04-Feb-17 11:11:58

You know what stands out as clear as a naked hang glider, the ease with which this story has aroused so little media coverage since he was 'struck off'.

Where are those supposed paragons of justice, truth , human rights now? Where are those who have backed him in the past now? Where are the voices from the Universities, Justice system, Human Rights organisations now?

When Shiner was knowingly being @#\#@=% ,( I won't use the word but using the word 'dishonest' as he has been found guilty of is simply not enough), he was all over the news, the papers, the T.V stations , interview after interview. The lack of coverage over him being 'Struck Off' is so noticeable.

Isn't it funny how one sided the discussion can become when 'one of their own' , somebody a certain circle consider to be above wrong doing, good human rights protector , tireless voice for truth, honesty, sun shines out of their backside is suddenly shown to be anything but.

Even when it was known he had used false evidence you could detect the lack of will by some who would not/could not bring themselves to condemn him. Now he has 'finally' been 'struck off' those same voices are still virtually silent.

rosesarered Sat 04-Feb-17 12:15:44

Yes, those voices are conspicuously silent now aren't they?
Just as voices are silent about citizens of Israel who are banned from several countries.I could go on!

tigger Sat 04-Feb-17 12:16:51

Reminds me of when Piers Morgan was sacked by the Daily Mirror because he refused to apologise for "air brushing" photographs of our military who were supposedly treating prisoners badly.

rosesarered Sat 04-Feb-17 12:17:42

Campaigners for justice should mean just that, and not cherry picking certain ones.

petra Sat 04-Feb-17 12:23:44

OH how true * Roses & POGS* I will admit that I have a smup smile on my face knowing that they know one of their 'heroes' is worth no more than a bag of dog shite.

Firecracker123 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:37:16

Also just an observation many of GNs prolific posters on the Politics and News threads are somewhat silent on here I wonder why.

petra Sat 04-Feb-17 12:43:55

We've all noticed Firecracker123 I'm expecting a blue link to explain how he wasn't really guilty, just technically guilty.

MaizieD Sat 04-Feb-17 15:11:33

POGS

Is your post of 11.11 referring to people on this forum or a comment about some section of society in general?

If it was pointed at people who contribute to this forum I hope you are proud of the spiteful little series of posts which follow it.

blueskies Sat 04-Feb-17 15:12:23

I've never heard of anyone holding their hands up to torture. If only we were true to ourselves and admitted that the military brutalises people ( chicken or egg? ) otherwise how could they do job for which they are paid? In a different kinder society the "military" would be search and rescue--helping people in distress -floods and disasters. War is despicable and anyone who kills and tortures other human beings should be locked up. As women we have the power to stop it. Do we have the will?

Penstemmon Sat 04-Feb-17 15:39:37

The Saturday Guardian has a an editorial piece about him.

rosesarered Sat 04-Feb-17 15:43:47

There is nothing in POGS post about GN Maizie and nor did I read it as such.
Is an apology from you in order to POGS for jumping the gun like that?

rosesarered Sat 04-Feb-17 15:45:23

There are some causes that attract a lot of attention and some that don't.

rosesarered Sat 04-Feb-17 15:47:43

I hadn't even heard about him being discredited until POGS posted.

MaizieD Sat 04-Feb-17 16:41:28

You will note that I asked a question at 15.11, roses, then I said if I wasn't making a direct accusation; just hoping that POGS would clarify.

I apologise to POGS if she was not referring to anyone on GNet but, if she wasn't, I am now at a loss to understand what provoked the little torrent of spite that followed her post.

MaizieD Sat 04-Feb-17 16:42:25

Should be a full stop between if and 'I' in 1st line.

Penstemmon Sat 04-Feb-17 16:42:38

www.theguardian.com/law/2017/feb/02/iraq-human-rights-lawyer-phil-shiner-disqualified-for-professional-misconduct

is where I saw the news.

Jalima Sat 04-Feb-17 17:10:45

It was on BBC News too.

Jalima Sat 04-Feb-17 17:22:42

blueskies
I am still puzzling over your post which I have read twice now.

The first sentence is correct - and the UK does not condone torture. Any person found guilty of torture would be breaking the United Nations Convention against Torture - that includes individuals and governments including Prime Ministers, eg TB knew of the torture risk.
If only we were true to ourselves and admitted that the military brutalises people ( chicken or egg? ) otherwise how could they do job for which they are paid? In a different kinder society the "military" would be search and rescue--helping people in distress -floods and disasters
I don't think that, on the whole that is true, that the military 'brutalises' people (unless you have experience or evidence to the contrary) and I do think that, in this country, the military are there when there are floods, disasters, when firemen go on strike etc.

Of course, as in all walks of society, there will always be someone who breaks the rules, gives everyone else a bad name and causes suspicion.

Our military are respected and many citizens around the world have been extremely relieved and not further terrified when they have seen British troops arrive.

Jalima Sat 04-Feb-17 17:33:45

ps The Military's role primarily is defence of The Realm.

Civil emergency response and recovery is multi-faceted and does include the military but is mostly civilian (paid) and volunteers.

petra Sat 04-Feb-17 21:02:07

The spineless coward couldn't even face the court, unlike our brave soldiers who faced the most unspeakable horrors every day. I hope he spends the rest of his life looking over his shoulder. perhaps then he might get a glimpse of the fear that our lads experienced.

nigglynellie Sat 04-Feb-17 21:16:33

I echo that petra. I've continuously been contemptuous of the hypocrisy displayed by certain sections of the political classes, this sorry story is no different. Thank goodness this odious man was at last rumbled before he could destroy any more of the lives of our brave service personal.