Gransnet forums

News & politics

Phil Shiner Human Rights Lawyer ' struck off ' for misconduct.

(71 Posts)
POGS Fri 03-Feb-17 12:18:25

There have been various threads in the past that brought Phil Shiner and other Lawyers into our ' discussions ' when talking of the prosecutions of our soldiers.

Some posters either opposed/found wanting what he and to my mind possibly others were doing. Some posters thought the proverbial sunshine shone out of his proverbial backside.

I could bump threads to prove my point but at the end of the day the fact Phil Shiner has been ' Struck Off for Misconduct' has been so pleasing to hear.

I do not think for one minute the fact he was Struck Off can make up for the lives of those service men and women he literally ruined.

I think the words and terms used to describe the reasons as to why he was found guilty of misconduct are evidence enough as to how I feel , not only about Phil Shiner but the others who must have at one time or another colluded/conspired with his deeds and actions, he could hardly have done it all by himself could he. My regret would be they get off lightly but no doubt they will be allowed to because of lack of will.

Terms and words used.

Struck off for Misconduct.
Ambulance Chasing Lawyer.
Persued a Witch Hunt.
Dishonesty.
Lack of Integrity.
False Witness Accounts.
Peddled Iraqi Lies.

I could go on but I hope now he has had his credibility and honesty shattered cases he (and other lawyers) were involved in finally receive due diligence and the likes of the Al-Sweady cases are a good place to start.

I hope there are those who have the ability to take this further will do so as I fail to see how there is no prosecutable sentence that may apply to his actions.

A total travesty of justice has been allowed and the Ministry of Defence should show a ruddy backbone for once and back our Armed Services Personnel who have been treated so badly.

NanaandGrampy Fri 03-Feb-17 12:44:43

Totally agree !

sunseeker Fri 03-Feb-17 12:47:08

I think the soldiers he pursued and whose lives were ruined should get together and sue him collectively to ensure he doesn't retain any of his ill gotten gains.

petra Fri 03-Feb-17 13:15:35

Well said POGS. I remember the support he got, disgraceful, but I'm sure they still think he was right.

Firecracker123 Fri 03-Feb-17 13:43:12

Totally agree, how did they allow this to go on for so long. They should get compensation and Shiner a long prison sentence.

Ana Fri 03-Feb-17 13:48:13

I agree with all of you - wonder whether we'll hear from any of his previous supporters?

rosesarered Fri 03-Feb-17 13:51:56

Well said POGS I am pleased he is discredited, and so sorry for the soldiers that have had years of misery because of him.

Jalima Fri 03-Feb-17 13:59:39

I agree POGS

I am sure he will get off relatively lightly for what he has done but I think his punishment should be to send him into a war zone and see how he fares.

Now I will wait for my own share of flack hmm

Greyduster Fri 03-Feb-17 14:08:44

I hope this serves as an example to all the other legal firms that have jumped on this bandwagon, for Shiners weren't the only ones. No wonder morale in the Army is at an all time low and recruiting is the worst it's been for years in spite of the government cut in numbers required. No point in putting yourself in the front line if you risk being thrown to the wolves.

rosesarered Fri 03-Feb-17 14:12:11

Jalima dropped in some hot spot...with or without parachute!

MaizieD Fri 03-Feb-17 14:16:34

I for one feel that, disgraceful as war is, we should be able to maintain a certain level of civilised behaviour in our military.

Not all Human Rights lawyers are crooks.

rosesarered Fri 03-Feb-17 14:19:26

Of course, but we are talking about this particular lawyer.

Firecracker123 Fri 03-Feb-17 14:21:22

Perhaps not but we are taking about Shiner. I see you have not condemned Shiner.

Jalima Fri 03-Feb-17 14:23:04

MaizieD I think in the main we do especially in comparison to the military of some other countries.
And anyone who has not been in the terrible conditions of a conflict, seeing comrades blown up by mines etc etc can really judge what happens in the heat of a battle.

However, bribing people as he did to give false testimony is disgusting.

MaizieD Fri 03-Feb-17 14:29:36

I'm not defending Shiner. Just hoping that not all Human Rights lawyers are tarred with the same brush.

I really don't see why I should be obliged to condemn Shiner, Firecracker. I didn't realise that this was solely a 'condemn Shiner' thread.

Firecracker123 Fri 03-Feb-17 14:31:51

Perhaps a clue might have been the title and the OP.

sunseeker Fri 03-Feb-17 14:40:12

Of course MaizieD not all Human Rights lawyers are dishonest. However, it is true that some other practices did jump on the bandwagon to sue soldiers, using legal aid. Shiner was perhaps the worst in that he actually sent people into the field to find "victims".

I was listening to a soldier on the radio this morning who had gone through years of worry because of Shiner. He and his colleagues were accused of beating and torturing captured soldiers, when in fact as soon as the hostilities ceased the British medics were treating the wounded captives. The claims against him and his colleagues were eventually dismissed.

As I said before I believe all the soldiers he hounded should sue him collectively so he loses all the money he made - that will hurt him much more than a long prison sentence

POGS Fri 03-Feb-17 14:41:44

MaizieD Fri 03-Feb-17 14:16:34

"I for one feel that, disgraceful as war is, we should be able to maintain a certain level of civilised behaviour in our military.

Not all Human Rights lawyers are crooks."
--

We should be able to maintain a certain level of civilised behaviour in our legal system too don't you think?

Nobody has said all Human Rights Lawyers are crooks but Phil Shiner had many who backed him, helped him and condoned him did they not?

The net should be widened in my opinion.

MaizieD Fri 03-Feb-17 14:42:40

No, it wasn't. The whole case brings into question the relevance of the concept of Human Rights in a a military situation and the danger of condemning all attempts to keep military action relatively 'civilised' on the strength of a rogue individual.

I do apologise for not following the herd.

Ramblingrose22 Fri 03-Feb-17 14:44:27

I think that Mr Shiner is the worst kind of hypocrite - making out he's helping the underdog and shining a light on injustices when all along he was peddling lies and enusring he lined his own pocket.

I think he has said that if he is suded for damages he won't be able to pay.

I expect he is transferring all his assets into his wife's name even as I type...........

Jalima Fri 03-Feb-17 14:53:44

so he loses all the money he made but leave him enough to live a modest lifestyle, eg as much as an average Army pension, and to keep a small house. I would not like to think that I would have to support him on benefits.

Av1dreader Fri 03-Feb-17 14:58:50

Excellent post Pogs agree with everything you have said

Elegran Fri 03-Feb-17 15:20:23

He hasn't helped to "keep the military civilised". He has made a precedent for people to say when someone else is charged with a genuine offence, "I don't believe it, it is all lies - remember that Paul Shiner who was proved to have fabricated evidence. This case is the same"

petra Fri 03-Feb-17 15:56:20

MaizieD.I'm assuming then that you defend the inprisonment of Alexander Blackman.

POGS Fri 03-Feb-17 17:04:37

Maizie D

I am not being arguementative but I don't follow your post of 14.42.