Gransnet forums

News & politics

Living with the Trump presidency

(1001 Posts)
MawBroon Fri 10-Feb-17 17:47:03

Apologies if there is a new Trump thread, but the only one I could find had hit the magic 1000 posts mark.
Just seen this on Facebook. Makes excellent sense.

whitewave Sat 11-Feb-17 20:17:44

So trumpty dumpy is going to reissue the order. Anyone know what that means?

Ana Sat 11-Feb-17 20:22:45

Where have heard that, whitewave?

whitewave Sat 11-Feb-17 20:23:46

BBC on line

Rinouchka Sat 11-Feb-17 21:11:53

Yes. I woke up to the 7 am news on BBC Radio 4 and this was announced, repeated later. The redrafted executive order may be announced as early as Monday.

Rinouchka Sat 11-Feb-17 21:19:01

...although, in typical Trump conceit, he has claimed he is "considering" doing this and has not ruled out going to the Supreme Court. He has to save face above all and stay "a winner" in his own eyes.

Dealing with an ego so colossal, even among politicians.

whitewave Sat 11-Feb-17 21:22:06

But unless it is worded differently to comply with the constitution, how will a new one make any difference?

Is there some sort of let out clause he knows about?

durhamjen Sat 11-Feb-17 22:09:09

He said the first one was perfect wording, so how can they make it any better?

Some good news.

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/11/standing-rock-army-veterans-camp

Jalima Sat 11-Feb-17 23:10:40

I think he is now going to address the British public at a venue to be decided when he comes for the State Visit.

durhamjen Sat 11-Feb-17 23:13:25

Speaker's Corner?

durhamjen Sat 11-Feb-17 23:14:37

He can only address the British public if they want to be addressed. If it's on television I for one will switch off.

Jalima Sat 11-Feb-17 23:21:58

I think it's at a venue and tickets will be on sale.
Reserve yours now before they're sold out folks.

hmm I'm not sure if not listening is the answer, perhaps listening and being prepared to refute what he says would be better.

durhamjen Sat 11-Feb-17 23:49:34

It'll be in all the papers anyway; no escaping from it. But I do not want him saying it was the best watched speech ever because of the numbers watching it on TV or online.
Anyway, I couldn't bear the triumphalism.

Still hoping for impeachment soon.

Elrel Sun 12-Feb-17 01:14:37

There appears to be a move to have his visit in Birmingham- that'll be the 'totally Muslim city' as he miscalled it. What did Brum do to deserve this?

grumppa Sun 12-Feb-17 07:55:52

Triumphalism but without the i would be a useful new word, dj.

vampirequeen Sun 12-Feb-17 08:33:19

The problem is that the people who will pay to see him will all be people who support him so it will be more like a rally. He will believe that they are indicative of the true national feeling towards him and it will encourage him to behave even more outrageously and ultimately for us, dangerously.

vampirequeen Sun 12-Feb-17 08:37:05

Also why send him to the Midlands? Is that just to protect London from the demonstrations that will take place wherever he goes? Call me a cynic but it seems like a case of let's protect London and shove the problem into the Midlands.

Rinouchka Sun 12-Feb-17 08:51:58

durhamjen, impeachment is not likely, at least not until after the 2018 Congressional elections. Then, if the Dems get a majority, could impeachment be a possibility. That goal has re-energised so many people, as well as the presence of Elizabeth Warren.

In the meantime, "We persist( and resist and insist)" is the way forward, imo.

whitewave Sun 12-Feb-17 09:26:39

Could do what they did to the far right ukip lot. Buy tickets and not turn up. Perhaps someone with loads of money will have that idea?

durhamjen Sun 12-Feb-17 09:30:54

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/12/alec-baldwins-donald-trump-impersonation-fools-dominican-newspaper

durhamjen Sun 12-Feb-17 09:32:00

Brilliant idea, whitewave.

grannimimi Sun 12-Feb-17 09:50:48

Nothing is what it seems and we would do well to question. The current shenanigans whilst distressing are distracting from what continues to go on behind the scenes. There's just a different more controversial front man. This documentary is well worth watching bbc.in/2dNS7LA

BRedhead59 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:57:54

I think humpty trumpy is looking bored and frustrated - won't be long now!

Elegran Sun 12-Feb-17 10:36:12

Here we go, here we go, here we go-o . . . .

Trump pledges "100% support" for Japan as North Korea conducts ballistic missile test. The missile flew east towards the Sea of Japan for about 500km (300 miles), South Korean officials say (but had not reached Japanese territorial waters.) This happened last night/this morning.

On a visit to South Korea last week, US Defence Secretary James Mattis said that any use of nuclear weapons by North Korea would be met with an "effective and overwhelming" response.

He also reconfirmed plans to deploy a US missile defence system in South Korea later this year.

South Korea's foreign ministry said that "North Korea's repeated provocations show the Kim Jong-un regime's nature of irrationality, maniacally obsessed in its nuclear and missile development".

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38947451

carol49cat Sun 12-Feb-17 10:41:42

I am going to have to stop reading this forum again as the opinions expressed so often make me very cross. President Trump was elected, Marine Le Pen will be and Merkel will go too. The loony left have had it all their own way for far too long and look what a mess they have made. It is time for some sensible government.

whitewave Sun 12-Feb-17 10:45:10

Just listening to Micheal Palin and DID and he describes the last scene in Oh! What a loverly war. I t starts with a little girl running through 2 white crosses and gradually pans out to thousands of crosses to the music "And we'll never tell them"

Why does the world never learn?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion