Gransnet forums

News & politics

Living with the Trump presidency

(1000 Posts)
MawBroon Fri 10-Feb-17 17:47:03

Apologies if there is a new Trump thread, but the only one I could find had hit the magic 1000 posts mark.
Just seen this on Facebook. Makes excellent sense.

whitewave Fri 10-Feb-17 17:51:52

Excellent advice for all those resisting the spread of right wing populism wherever it is.

Cherrytree59 Fri 10-Feb-17 18:29:11

Yes excellent advice.

durhamjen Fri 10-Feb-17 18:40:52

Fits well with the George Washington one as well.

www.radicalteatowel.com/image/cache/tea-towel-george-washington-700x700.jpg

durhamjen Fri 10-Feb-17 18:46:00

I had an email from that company, and at the same time there are six about the resist Trump meeting.

Rinouchka Fri 10-Feb-17 19:04:12

Excellent advice from a member of the King family. Have not been reading the political threads lately but I presume the event below was previously noted.

An earlier bit of advice from King's widow, Coretta Scott King was quashed in the Senate earlier in the week as Sen. Elizabeth Warren sought to read King's protest against the appointment of Jeff Sessions as a federal judge in 1986 because of his recorded discrimination against blacks. Warren was protesting against Session's appointment as Attorney General. This led to an order to silence her.

Impugning a peer is not allowed in Congress, even if what is stated is factually correct.

Elegran Fri 10-Feb-17 19:05:32

A bus driver taking us yesterday to the airport in Reykjavic said that Trump and Putin want to meet in the building where Kennedy met Gorbachov in 1986 (Hofdi House)

whitewave Fri 10-Feb-17 19:13:41

Not all going Trumps way is it?

Rinouchka Fri 10-Feb-17 19:16:56

Elizabeth Warren is now the American "Passionara" and the face of resistance to Trump.
The "we persist" movement also looks ahead to Nov. 2018 as attached post indicates:

whitewave Fri 10-Feb-17 19:25:35

Watching channel 4 and a supporter of Trump. It is all getting all extremely Kafkaesque - The truth is becoming false and false becoming true.

AlieOxon Fri 10-Feb-17 20:17:39

I've decided never to give trump a capital....

whitewave Fri 10-Feb-17 20:18:53

Humpty trumpty

durhamjen Fri 10-Feb-17 20:19:21

Rinouchka, the speech was read outside instead, and Elizabeth Warren read it on Facebook. They can't be silenced.

Cunco Fri 10-Feb-17 21:37:17

I think it is interesting as has been the reaction to 'the recipe'. As a general stance, I cannot argue with focus on the issues and policies or disputing fake news.

I don't agree with blanket support for art or artists as this implies suspension of our critical faculties.

I am reflecting on 'Keep your messages positive. Those who oppose peace and justice want anger and fear because it feeds their agenda.' In the context of our Referendum, both sides were arguably guilty.

I would subscribe more readily to taking each issue as it comes, avoiding stereotypes of any kind and resisting as appropriate.

durhamjen Fri 10-Feb-17 21:59:18

Not even at the beginning of a sentence, Alie? That's going to be hard, but I'll go along with you.

Just been reading that 936 companies have stopped advertising with Breitbart, including companies like Kelloggs, Visa, Nordstrom, T-Mobile. Trying to get Amazon to stop. That should be interesting.

durhamjen Fri 10-Feb-17 22:02:45

One company that hasn't is Shopify, which sells a t-shirt telling migrants to get in line. Says it all, really.

vampirequeen Sat 11-Feb-17 09:44:18

Brilliant list. My favourite interview with a trump supporter was a chap who said he had voted for trump because he didn't agree with Obama Care and was happy it had been stopped. The interviewer asked him how he paid for his medical care and he said ACA which was the official name for Obama Care. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot [foot]

Judthepud2 Sat 11-Feb-17 13:18:39

'Look at me' - Trump and Abe's awkward handshake
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38935923

If you haven't seen this, have a look! Trump giving the Japanese PM one of his excruciating handshakes. Watch the face of Mr Abe at the end! ??? It takes a lot for a Japanese person to show their feelings in public!

Judthepud2 Sat 11-Feb-17 13:33:09

Sorry, my last post was breaking rule 4 wasn't it? It was too good to pass over!

AlieOxon Sat 11-Feb-17 14:30:09

I've seen it! Very very obvious...then the final pat at the end that he always seems to do as well.

whitewave Sat 11-Feb-17 14:36:32

It is decided that he won't be invited to Westminster, as over 200 MPs so far have signed to say we do t want him.

Anya Sat 11-Feb-17 14:53:34

Jud I saw that handshake too. You are spot on.

Norah Sat 11-Feb-17 18:01:11

The handshake was another view into Trump's opinion of himself, nightmarish.

Rinouchka Sat 11-Feb-17 19:25:18

Well, he has not conceded defeat over immigration executive order( trumps don't lose), but, at least, the courts have forced him to rethink( or is think the wrong verb?).

His denigration of Elizabeth Warren by mockingly calling her the Democrats' "Pocahontas"( she has some native American ancestry), repeated this week, proves he must feel intimidated by this feisty woman.

Ginny42 Sat 11-Feb-17 20:14:11

I'm pleased that he will not address Parliament. His behaviour towards women, the disabled and people of another race or religion is offensive to decent people. I felt angry the first time he denigrated Elizabeth Warren's native American heritage and to repeat it compounds his disrespect. Clearly the Republicans are unable or have no intention of reigning him in.

It is alledged he tweeted about Nordstrom dropping his daughter's fashion lines several minutes into a security briefing. His representative said he was only reacting as a normal parent to a slight against his daughter. Ermm - shouldn't he have been paying attention to the briefing?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion