Gransnet forums

News & politics

How reputable are the sources and sites?

(106 Posts)
Ankers Mon 13-Feb-17 08:21:05

Various posters do various links.

The one this morning for example is from The New European.

But I have no idea whether it is a fake news site, or reputable.
So I have no idea whether to take a lot of notice of the article or none.

If posters could post on here which sites are fake/reputable/take with a pinch of salt etc/biased I for one would find it helpful.

The New European
I did notice that in the corner it has given Trump a hitler moustache. So is that a hint as to it's reputation?

Ankers Mon 13-Feb-17 19:54:34

I think your OP was asking the question of a wider usage of links to newspapers, bloggers, etc. That is how I read it anyway.

Yes. Thank you.

You mentioned before I think, about a photo/link etc.
That is what alerted me to question The New European from the off. The photo in the corner.

There are posters who have/do/might believe links/posts
That bit I am not sure about. But perhaps I will get there on that bit too!

I presume after a while, and with plenty of time,sorting out the numerous and various sites/blogs/newspapers/tv channels both in the UK and abroad become much easier.

I would have hoped that this was not necessary, but unfortunately it seems to become more and more necessary. And so time consuming.

Ankers Mon 13-Feb-17 19:56:54

Clickbait.
I read somewhere recently that some sources need clicks to generate revenue? So that is what drives them, and not necessarily the truth by a long way.

MawBroon Mon 13-Feb-17 19:58:56

Time consuming?
Not if you apply common sense

mcem Mon 13-Feb-17 20:17:09

Rearrange these words to make a well-known phrase - horse a dead flogging!!
Back to University Challenge for me!!

POGS Mon 13-Feb-17 20:17:33

Ankers

Clickbait websites are sites that take bits of true stories but insinuate and make up other details to sew fear. Most of these are conspiratorial in nature are very unreliable. Happy to use Fake News.

MaizieD Mon 13-Feb-17 20:29:03

"Clickbait Websites - Fake News Watch
fakenewswatch.com/conspiracy-theoryclickbait-websites
Clickbait websites are sites that take bits of true stories but insinuate and make up other details to sew fear. Most of these are conspiratorial in nature are very ..."

Oh dear, POGS. You didn't copy and paste this definition from a page of google results did you?

(I'm afraid the give-away is 'sew' fear.)
www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+is+a+clikbait+website&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=JxWiWJWGNNTU8geahKuAAQ

Why did you miss out the more usual definition? Ankers is a very confused person and you just seem to be sowing a bit more fear.

Ankers The commonly accepted definition is this one:

Clickbait is a pejorative term describing web content that is aimed at generating online advertising revenue, especially at the expense of quality or accuracy, relying on sensationalist headlines or eye-catching thumbnail pictures to attract click-throughs and to encourage forwarding of the material over online social ... (media)
Clickbait - Wikipedia [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/clickbait_hackersafe]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickbait

I copied and pasted that one from the same page of google search results.

POGS Mon 13-Feb-17 20:37:39

MaizieD

What is your point?

I can detect a tone of snideness again in your post but I must be missing what you are trying to prove.

MaizieD Mon 13-Feb-17 20:53:50

I think, POGS, that you should have cited the source of that definition. It did look as though you were apparently giving your own definition in your own words.

The other odd thing is that it is a very uncommon definition; the Wikipedia one is the the one that most people seem to mean by 'clickbait'.

Why would you use that definition to explain it to Ankers and not the commonly understood one?

MaizieD Mon 13-Feb-17 20:54:35

Especially is Ankers is so worried about being caught by 'fake news' sites...

POGS Mon 13-Feb-17 20:57:00

Maizie D

I have your read your 'Oh Dear Pogs' again and I simply do not understand your point!

You said this:-

'Why did you miss out the more usual definition? Ankers is a very confused person and you just seem to be sowing a bit more fear.'

What the hell are you talking about, I am 'sowing' a bit more fear?

MaizieD Mon 13-Feb-17 21:06:42

Because she's obviously worried about getting onto 'fake news' sites and you'll now have got her worried about 'clickbait' sites.

I've wasted my time on one or two before now and although the very small amount of editorial they contain may not be strictly accurate they can in no way be described as 'fake news' sites. Or malicious (apart from the fact that some 'may' contain malware) They're basically just advertising and money making exercises.

rosesarered Mon 13-Feb-17 21:08:16

Am sure that Ankers will decide for herself what is real news or not.

MaizieD Mon 13-Feb-17 21:12:23

Have you actually read the thread roses?

Ankers was asking about how to tell what is real and what is fake...She wasn't, at the start of it, apparently able to decide for herself.

I hope she's better able to now...

Rigby46 Mon 13-Feb-17 21:13:33

I think Ankers knows very well what is real news or not and needs not a shred of help and guidance from any of us wink. I wonder if she knows what disingenuous means?

POGS Mon 13-Feb-17 21:28:45

Maizie D

We should all be concerned about Fake News and Clickbait sites .

I still do not understand your point!

Even in your post you are telling Ankers this:-

'especially at the expense of quality or accuracy, relying on sensationalist headlines or eye-catching thumbnail pictures'

I am not sowing fear , neither are you , we have presented factual information.

You are miffed, being snide because I took an easy route and copied words from a site and did not say so. Bloody hell that's pathetic.

I don't treat Ankers as a child, like some clearly do, I am sure she can look up further information and make a judgement call.

By the way I have mentioned Clickbait on threads before and probably because most posters are aware of their existence and need to be wary of them I have never been so ludicrously challenged!

www.gransnet.com/forums/site_stuff/1234118-Fake-News-Clickbait-etc-on-GN

MaizieD Mon 13-Feb-17 23:23:40

You are miffed, being snide because I took an easy route and copied words from a site and did not say so.

I'm not miffed, I'm amazed that you, of all people, who is always calling for balanced and unbiased views, should pick the most sensationalist and least common definition from a page of google results and copy and paste it as if it were your explanation, and a definitive one at that.

And, I'm afraid that if someone posts like a child they're likely to be treated like one...

I'm not spending any more time on this.

POGS Mon 13-Feb-17 23:27:21

'I'm not spending any more time on this.'

Amen to that.

Jalima Mon 13-Feb-17 23:37:27

Thanks for the link about Clickbait sites POGS
Perhaps I am like Ankers in that I've never heard of them grin

I could probably ask half a dozen people tomorrow in RL and they wouldn't have heard of them either.

just because someone asks a lot of questions MaizieD doesn't mean that they are childish, not everyone spends their life reading every online newspaper, report, Hansard, news fake or not, but they do want to learn more and to be aware without necessarily having the time to sit all day glued to a computer screen.

daphnedill Mon 13-Feb-17 23:57:46

Unless you have ads blocked in your browser, you will often see 'clickbait' appear. I have one at the moment with a picture of the singer Sting and a headline saying 'Sad news at passing of...'. It looks like a genuine news item about Sting's death. If I didn't know better, I would have clicked it to find out more and would most certainly have found that I had been redirected to a site which has nothing to do with Sting. People are paid when people click on these links, which is how people run websites at no cost.

Your IP address can then be harvested. These sites often encourage people to give email addresses and phone numbers, all of which can be sold as marketing lists, so you can expect unsolicited emails, phone calls and ads appearing on your computer.

Hope that explains what clickbait is. Quite simply, it's 'bait' to get people to 'click' on sites.

Ankers Tue 14-Feb-17 08:12:10

Clickbait is worse than I thought.

I presume scammers have a field day with them.

I often wondered where scammers got peoples' information from.

It all becomes easy pickings if a person has given the clickbait site the email address and phone number in the first place.

Anya Tue 14-Feb-17 08:25:05

Ankers firstly learn to distinguish between fact and opinion. Pass 'facts' through a reality filter and recognise the bias in opinions.

daphnedill Tue 14-Feb-17 08:48:32

Always be very careful of giving details when you apply for an insurance quote online, to reclaim PPI, to enter in a competition, etc.

daphnedill Tue 14-Feb-17 08:50:55

Facebook and Google algorithms can target ads specifically for you. For example, you might get clickbait for women over 60 wanted for trial face creams (or something like that).

daphnedill Tue 14-Feb-17 08:56:28

My son informs me that a few of his fellow students make quite a bit of money running blogs with clickbait. They set up a blog likely to attract a decent audience, eg. how to pull at uni, then get paid by advertisers every time somebody clicks on 'bait'. There's nothing illegal about it.

Elegran Tue 14-Feb-17 10:36:08

Nothing illegal about clickbait as such - even the most respectable and reputable sites put things on which will attract visitors. Let's face it, a site with boring headings is not going to get as much traffic as one that sounds interesting.

There are many site owners like dd's son who set up a site purely to gain some income out of visitors (if they show ads which pay the site-owner per click) and some of them have outrageous and misleading headlines to draw people in. Then you have those made-up questionnaires that purport to tell you which root vegetable you most resemble, or promise to tell you "ten foods you must NEVER eat"

The catch is that important information about social or political stuff should not be transmitted in this fake way, and those taking email or postal addresses or phone numbers unnecessarily are definitely illegal.