Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tony Blair

(282 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 17-Feb-17 22:36:06

Oh no! - he's back! I cannot bear his self-satisfied voice!

It does not matter what he says; he just gives me the creeps.

I doubt he gives a fig for what I think though grin

GracesGranMK2 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:23:01

It made my day to be honest as life is not very amusing most of the time. I generally agree that deliberate derailing is not reasonable when others want to discuss something serious. This just seemed like an amusing aside but I appreciate that although I thought it was lovely I should have realised others may not have felt the same so my apologies to anyone who felt they could not continue with the serious stuff blush

However, I didn't think this was like some of the deliberate derailments of the past and the 'dragon' posts could have been ignored while the serious posters carried on talking to one anothersad but that's just my opinion.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 24-Feb-17 18:18:56

grin at Trisher.

People can post whatever they like. I personally chuckle at "armchair politicians" and like to give a layman's view every now and again, let's face it the government is supposed to work for us and do what they're told to do by a democratic society. A small percentage of this society is affluent, then you have the want to be's, then you the 'majority' who are just like me, working class.

trisher Fri 24-Feb-17 16:37:25

I can be serious if I want, but I've posted my views on Tony quite enough. I don't see why I shouldn't discuss dragons as well. Some of us are capable of being both serious and light hearted. Personally I don't see much point in just writing posts about what you think people ought to be discussing.
If a rare female Yorkshire dragon is discovered in this country where should the two be brought together? I think the Aussies should send theirs over here. It could cause a diplomatic incident.

Ana Fri 24-Feb-17 16:31:57

That's you told, GracesGranMK2! grin

(the others are used to it...)

daphnedill Fri 24-Feb-17 16:28:12

I agree with you, Ginny. I wish people who have no interest in discussing anything serious, sneer at those who do and want to derail serious threads would stick to 'Chat' or something more lighthearted.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 24-Feb-17 14:38:31

grin

rosesarered Fri 24-Feb-17 14:01:12

Well, in that case trisher I hope that he eats all their shrimps!

trisher Fri 24-Feb-17 13:58:39

As a true Yorkshire woman I am considering starting a "Give us back our dragon" campaign Those Aussies have sunshine and surfing they should leave our dragons alone. They're probably just using him to light their barbies!

durhamjen Fri 24-Feb-17 13:32:46

Sorry, Ginny, I really can't take Blair seriously.

durhamjen Fri 24-Feb-17 13:31:32

That's good. Otherwise there could be no breeding!

GracesGranMK2 Fri 24-Feb-17 13:26:58

Nooooo ... breeding ... and I did check Grrr.

durhamjen Fri 24-Feb-17 13:20:31

Breading programme? As in egg and breadcrumbs?

GracesGranMK2 Fri 24-Feb-17 13:14:04

You may not know but there is at least one Dragon - called Arrow Tail, a real dragon name - living in Australia. Although Aus is working very hard to return to natural species he joined a very 'green' family about three months ago (around Christmas). Originally one of the amazingly rare Yorkshire dragons, he is only young, and is still being trained and, I blush to say, was smuggled in by a Granny. However, an eye is now being kept on him by the DCS (Dragon Conservation Society) and the hope is that a female can be found so he can become part of a breading programme (no civil liberties problems - he's agreed, I think his comment translates as 'whoopee') as they are currently so high on the endangered species list.

rosesarered Fri 24-Feb-17 12:55:10

Just a bit of light relief Ginny42 ( and remember that we don't all feel the same about Brexit.)Or indeed, Tony Blair.

rosesarered Fri 24-Feb-17 12:52:48

trisher grin I think that dragon was telling me an alternative truth when he said that he was called Eric.I think he was 'sexing up' the case for allowing him to eat more Brussels Bureaucrats, by giving himself a palatable name.

Ginny42 Fri 24-Feb-17 12:52:02

I can empathise with your fears about how Brexit may affect your family DJ; I am similarly affected. It's very uncomfortable to feel negative towards the country of my birth which I've always loved; the large majority of people, its culture, its natural beauty and way of life.

The Brexit decision has had a profound effect on me. Not just because of how it may affect my small family, but because of what I perceive as racism, which doesn't seem to be diminishing.

durhamjen Fri 24-Feb-17 11:12:26

No we're not, we are talking about Tony Blair.
I could be very much affected by Brexit. Both of my sons could end up going to mainland EU with their families because of the xenophobia of Brexit. Whatever Blair says cannot affect that.

Anniebach Fri 24-Feb-17 10:57:12

Good post Ginny

trisher Fri 24-Feb-17 10:47:57

I don't know dj dragons as everyone knows have 2 names. Their public name which is what they tell you they are called and their private name which can only be used by certain people in certain circumstances. So even if one said his name was Eric I would have my doubts.

Ginny42 Fri 24-Feb-17 10:41:00

So, back to Tony Blair. The subject of the OP.

I'm guessing that the majority of those who resent Blair's involvement in this debate reckon they won't be hit too hard by Brexit.

So is this talk about dragons a kind of objection, principled no doubt, but essentially recreational fun? Sorry if I missed the salient point of it all.

Conversely I guess those amongst us who've realised that Brexit is going to change the country to a point where it becomes essentially unrecognisable, will welcome Blair's intervention.

Somebody has to make the case he's making. I might wish it could be someone else, but quite honestly Clegg, Soubry etc, heroic as they have been, and in Clegg's case stunningly plurilingual, are simply not in the same league as Blair.

Don't you just hate it!

I mean... here we are talking about a very, very important trade agreement with the EU...and people are rabbiting on about dragons...

durhamjen Fri 24-Feb-17 10:34:30

I bet none of them are called Eric.

trisher Fri 24-Feb-17 09:07:41

Personally I'm very fond of Chinese dragons.

Jalima Fri 24-Feb-17 00:28:13

Erik is sitting on a shelf behind me as we speak - he would like you to know that he is not a dragon, he is a sweet little woodenViking with a red beard. Erik emigrated to Greenland in 986 AD. Later Greenland joined the EEC, voted to leave in 1982 and left in 1985; Erik tells me that it is an OCT so is partly integrated into the EU but not a full member.

He thinks you all should know that grin
(but I didn't until he just told me)

rosesarered Thu 23-Feb-17 21:52:03

Eric likes them too ( yum)

NfkDumpling Thu 23-Feb-17 21:50:48

This is a lovely thread to be following - fact and fiction blurring beautifully. Very Blairish.