Gransnet forums

News & politics

US to become associate member of the Commonwealth?

(11 Posts)
Ginny42 Fri 24-Feb-17 13:44:29

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/23/donald-trumps-love-royal-family-may-see-united-states-join-commonwealth/

Also: www.express.co.uk]

THE United States could eventually become an “associate member” of the Commonwealth, according to plans being drawn up by the Royal Commonwealth Society.

The move, which is said to have the backing of the Queen, is believed to have come about because of US President Donald Trump’s love of Britain and the Royal Family.

Is this fake or real news.

hildajenniJ Fri 24-Feb-17 13:54:12

Looks like real news. Seems like a good idea to me. I'll have to look into it further before forming a strong opinion.

Elegran Fri 24-Feb-17 14:55:24

But would Trump want to chair all meetings and have the chairman's deciding vote, and fire any country which didn't shape up to his prejudices standards?

felice Fri 24-Feb-17 15:18:46

Being facetious,,,, did't they fight a war to get away from anything to do with the UK.
Also would the American people decide on joining or would Trump just tell them.

MawBroon Fri 24-Feb-17 15:25:37

Is this 1April ??

Riverwalk Fri 24-Feb-17 16:00:49

I laughingly tease US friends by saying would love to see them rejoin the Mother Country - can't imagine for one minute that they'd entertain the idea!

They had a revolution, FFS, to break away and be independent.

Welshwife Fri 24-Feb-17 16:04:09

---- but he has also started saying how great the EU is as well -

GillT57 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:09:24

He also said that Obama founded ISIS. And that he (Trump) was smart, the smartest person he knew, tremendously smart....

Rinouchka Fri 24-Feb-17 16:16:01

I do not believe this. The US would never, ever, ever choose to joun the Commonwealth. Shall eat my hat if this is true! grin

Rinouchka Fri 24-Feb-17 16:16:24

join

vampirequeen Fri 24-Feb-17 17:46:09

This must be fake news. The Americans fought to free themselves from us. Surely they wouldn't accept coming back into the commonwealth.