Gransnet forums

News & politics

watch and weep

(62 Posts)
Beammeupscottie Thu 02-Mar-17 13:31:58

safeshare.tv/x/fJuNgBkloFE

TriciaF Fri 03-Mar-17 10:30:21

I wonder if the man or woman in the street in the UK would do any better?
I know a few people who wouldn't be able to answer those questions. They watch news on TV occasionally, but don't listen to the radio or read newspapers.
And I think Eloethan is right too.

Jalima Fri 03-Mar-17 10:39:02

I may get like that soon Tricia F because I am becoming more and more frustrated and fed up with all of them!
#Headinsandandhappy grin

rosesarered Fri 03-Mar-17 10:40:38

I agree TriciaF it all depends on who is interviewed, I should think people almost anywhere are the same.The USA perhaps even more so as it is so very huge perhaps, some vast States are about the size of a country in themselves.

janeainsworth Fri 03-Mar-17 12:38:26

Well said Eloethan

Just for a bit of balance, here's something about us whingeing Poms that popped up on my Facebook feed. Apologies to anyone who has seen it before.
THESE ARE ACTUAL COMPLAINTS RECEIVED BY "THOMAS COOK VACATIONS" FROM DISSATISFIED CUSTOMERS:

1. "On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food."

2. "They should not allow topless sunbathing on the beach. It was very distracting for my husband who just wanted to relax."

3. "We went on holiday to Spain and had a problem with the taxi drivers as they were all Spanish."

4. "We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our own swimsuits and towels. We assumed it would be included in the price."

5. "The beach was too sandy. We had to clean everything when we returned to our room."

6. "We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as white but it was more yellow."

7. "It's lazy of the local shopkeepers in Puerto Vallartato close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time -- this should be banned."

8. "No-one told us there would be fish in the water. The children were scared."

9. "Although the brochure said that there was a fully equipped kitchen, there was no egg-slicer in the drawers."

10. "I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local convenience store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."

11. "The roads were uneven and bumpy, so we could not read the local guide book during the bus ride to the resort. Because of this, we were unaware of many things that would have made our holiday more fun."

12. "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England. It took the Americans only three hours to get home. This seems unfair."

13. "I compared the size of our one-bedroom suite to our friends' three-bedroom and ours was significantly smaller."

14. "The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the resort.' We're trainee hairdressers and we think they knew and made us wait longer for service."

15. "When we were in Spain, there were too many Spanish people there. The receptionist spoke Spanish, the food was Spanish. No one told us that there would be so many foreigners."

16. "We had to line up outside to catch the boat and there was no air-conditioning."

17. "It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel."

18. "I was bitten by a mosquito. The brochure did not mention mosquitoes."

19. "My fiancée and I requested twin-beds when we booked, but instead we were placed in a room with a king bed. We now hold you responsible and want to be re-reimbursed for the fact that I became pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."

BE AWARE ...THEY WALK AMONG US and THEY VOTE!

TriciaF Fri 03-Mar-17 12:41:33

Jane - grin

felice Fri 03-Mar-17 13:02:08

Loved that Jane, a friend is a travel Agent and is a great dinner party guest.
I have lost count,really, of the amount of people in the UK who when I am visiting ask me where I live and seem to have no idea at all where Brussels actually is. I get sick of saying 'Brussels is a city not an institution', and many of them have asked if I like living in France!!!!
An elderly aunt who i was visiting informed all and sundry that you couldn't buy bread where Felice lives so she has to make her own, I had been baking for my Mum and took her a fresh loaf.

Grannybags Fri 03-Mar-17 16:21:23

Thanks Jane - made me laugh out loud!

grannyqueenie Fri 03-Mar-17 16:31:35

Janegrin

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 16:32:47

Jane grin

grannyqueenie Fri 03-Mar-17 16:33:15

Spot on eloethan

Christinefrance Fri 03-Mar-17 16:48:54

That was funny Jane and really redressed the balance.Thanks smile

janeainsworth Fri 03-Mar-17 16:54:22

Glad you all enjoyed it smile

varian Fri 03-Mar-17 20:41:16

A friend of mine, brought up in New Zealand, won a scholarship to the US when she was seventeen, She spent a year living in an American family and attended an American college.

Part of the deal was that she had to give talks to ladies lunch clubs, Rotary etc.

Her talk was about life in NZ. At the end of the talk she asked for questions and got "Is your hair naturally curly?" and "Where did you learn to speak English?"

MaizieD Fri 03-Mar-17 23:26:46

I'm finding this thread extraordinarily ironic when I recall the impassioned defences I've read of 'the people' whose 'will' it is that we leave the EU.

Anya Sat 04-Mar-17 07:34:08

I'm not finding it ironic after reading your post Maizie hmm

MaizieD Sat 04-Mar-17 07:47:24

What on earth do you mean by that, Anya? Do you know what ironic means?

Anya Sat 04-Mar-17 07:51:07

No, I haven't the foggiest what ironic means Maisie ???

Judthepud2 Sat 04-Mar-17 08:59:25

12. "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England. It took the Americans only three hours to get home. This seems unfair."

??????????

Chewbacca Sat 04-Mar-17 09:13:31

The definition of ironic: " using words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning; containing or exemplifying irony : an ironic novel; an ironic remark. ... of, relating to, or tending to use irony or mockery; ironical." Or, more simply put: "a word used by someone who is trying to appear clever; articulate; better informed than those that he is amongst. Sometimes used in a patronising; condescending or sneering way to indicate that the user has higher intelligence or "clearer vision of reality" than those around them"

not the Oxford definition but undoubtedly what was meant on this occasion .

MaizieD Sat 04-Mar-17 09:14:08

grin Anya

Chewbacca Sat 04-Mar-17 09:17:31

Gosh! Your pleasant aren't you? Maisie Why would you laugh at someone who doesn't know what a word means? Not a nice trait that.

Anya Sat 04-Mar-17 09:30:33

I think I've wandered into LaLaLand ?

Chewbacca Sat 04-Mar-17 09:32:30

I'm right there with you Anya! grin I just couldn't see what the point of posting a negative post, on such a lighthearted and pleasant thread could be!

Anya Sat 04-Mar-17 09:37:21

I blame 1) tree pollens 2) Trump 3) the Serotonin Transporter Gene

Chewbacca Sat 04-Mar-17 10:10:42

Oh yes, you're right Anya. And Brexit too, don't forger Brexit.