(61 Posts)
Beammeupscottie Thu 02-Mar-17 13:31:58

safeshare.tv/x/fJuNgBkloFE

yggdrasil Thu 02-Mar-17 13:39:39

Err what can you say.

Anniebach Thu 02-Mar-17 13:42:44

Speechless

Luckygirl Thu 02-Mar-17 13:47:41

Dear dear. But I wonder how much better UK citizens would do; and I am sure there has been some editing to make the point.

Grannybags Thu 02-Mar-17 17:01:48

Oh dear. That's quite scary. As you say though Luckygirl I wonder if UK citizens would do any better

Christinefrance Thu 02-Mar-17 17:31:16

Not a biased item at all then Beammeupscottie, I have no doubt the same answers could be edited from UK citizens. I deplore the generalisation of people, countries etc. Two of my grandchildren are half American so of course I admit to bias.

Chewbacca Thu 02-Mar-17 17:31:29

grin

grannypiper Thu 02-Mar-17 17:40:34

Oh my

petra Thu 02-Mar-17 17:47:37

I wonder if uk citizens would do any better
They were hardly university challenge questions. I answered them all correctly, but then I should, they were all general knowledge and I'm in 2 quiz leagues.

Stansgran Thu 02-Mar-17 18:20:51

Let us not mock the afflicted

TriciaF Thu 02-Mar-17 19:10:02

It doesn't surprise me.
A few months ago I put a link somewhere on here of spoof ideas that Trump was planning, to a group of his supporters, and it showed the same ignorance of facts.

varian Thu 02-Mar-17 19:19:12

Even allowing for clever editing, that is truly scary

Greyduster Thu 02-Mar-17 19:39:01

That's exactly what I thought!

Anniebach Thu 02-Mar-17 19:50:21

Clever editing or not, it was answers to questions

Iam64 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:53:51

I'm ashamed to say I'd believed the kind of publicity shown in this video clip, i.e., that citizens of the USA know nothing about the wider world. My visit to several American cities last year knocked that bigoted notion out of my head very quickly.

Like Luckygirl, I wonder how easy it would be to put together a similar video by interviewing people in the UK. It's shocking how little so many people know about their own countries, much less "abroad'

varian Thu 02-Mar-17 19:59:16

You are right Iam64 - it almost destroys your faith in democracy.

Anniebach Thu 02-Mar-17 20:59:25

But no one would think those people represented the entire population of the USA

daphnedill Thu 02-Mar-17 21:03:45

I belong to a couple of teachers' social networking sites, some of which have international members.

Somebody posted two secondary timetables from public (ie state) schools - one from a middle class area of Boston and another from a small town in the Mid West. The difference between the two was staggering. There is no National Curriculum in America, so the states decide what should be taught.

The Boston curriculum was very similar to what pupils in the UK learn - a balanced curriculum with English, maths, science, humanities, languages, creative arts. The Mid West timetable was math(s), English and that was about it. A primary school in the UK teaches a broader range of subjects.

It's no wonder that some Americans don't have much of an idea about the world outside the US.

Jalima Thu 02-Mar-17 21:12:58

I know it was edited but I wonder how many Americans know much

The man got one thing right though: Tony Blair is an actor.

Jalima Thu 02-Mar-17 21:13:27

what happened there?

I wonder how many Americans know much about the world outside America?

Beammeupscottie Thu 02-Mar-17 22:24:00

I wonder if this was a compilation from CNN making the point about Trump voters? I don't know. I know someone who does market research in this Country and she says it is unbelievable how many people cannot name the P.M. at any given time.
I think less than 10% of American do not have a passport so insularity is not surprising. I hold Americans in high esteem; finding them intelligent and erudite, so this film was a shock to me.

Beammeupscottie Thu 02-Mar-17 22:25:34

I thought Tony Blair was a dancer?

Eloethan Thu 02-Mar-17 23:37:15

I was watching a British quiz programme a couple of months ago and two people - on different "teams" - who had quite good jobs and who seemed to be of average intelligence - could not answer very simple questions about politics. One of them thought Vince Cable was leader of the Labour Party and the other answer (which I can't remember) was equally ridiculous.

I expect a lot of American people were able to answer those questions but the only answers that were broadcast were the silly ones. However, it is worrying that so many people (and I don't think it's just Americans - although they can be very insular) seem to have little knowledge about anything other than popular culture. Sometimes I wonder if that is how the powers-that-be prefer it - an ignorant population is an easily fooled one.

Hopehope Thu 02-Mar-17 23:39:42

Why am I not surprised?

FarNorth Fri 03-Mar-17 01:15:05

shock
I think you have it, Eloethan.