Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hopkins gets her come-uppance ?

(186 Posts)
MawBroon Fri 10-Mar-17 21:46:49

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/katie-hopkinsdefeated-by-jack-monroe-in-libel-case_uk_58c28bf5e4b054a0ea69df05?ncid=fcbklnkukhpmg00000001

An expensive display of arrogance, £24K damages plus over £100K costs.
I believe that she turned down several opportunities to apologise.

MawBroon Sat 11-Mar-17 08:45:22

And as we know Anya ( spiritualists may wish to take cover) you should always strike a happy medium ?

Ankers Sat 11-Mar-17 08:51:03

This is the link that mumsnet uses.
www.blakemorgan.co.uk/news-events/news/brief-guide-tort-defamation/

Anya Sat 11-Mar-17 08:51:30

I never condone violence MawB though in the case of KH it might be a case of 'me? I nefer saw nofink officer!'

Anniebach Sat 11-Mar-17 09:04:14

Free speech, she us free to say what she thinks no matter how unpleasant or cruel, this time it wasn't an opinion it was an accusation .

Anya Sat 11-Mar-17 09:14:46

This is her response on twitter....

Ankers Sat 11-Mar-17 09:16:18

Oh gosh.

whitewave Sat 11-Mar-17 09:19:43

Is she a tad bonkers?

MawBroon Sat 11-Mar-17 09:26:04

I think I summarised it well enough Ankers hmm??

Elegran Sat 11-Mar-17 09:34:54

The blue shawl that Saint Katie is wearing in her tweet is a symbol of the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God, not of Jesus. She isn't very accurate, is she? No wonder she gets her accusations wrong if that is the usual level of the research she puts into her twittering. Not only libellous but sloppy journalism too.

DanniRae Sat 11-Mar-17 09:37:10

She is a sad, sad person who will stoop to anything to get her name in print. I believe that "What goes around, comes around!" and only time will tell..........hmm

Anniebach Sat 11-Mar-17 09:43:01

And the sacred heart is a symbol of Christ Elegran

merlotgran Sat 11-Mar-17 09:47:11

I thought she was going to emigrate to USA if Trump became president......What happened. Won't he let her in?

Ginny42 Sat 11-Mar-17 09:50:58

She sees herself as saintly? Seriously delusional behaviour. Is that image not blasphemous? As others have pointed out though, it keeps her in the news and that's what it's all about.

Ginny42 Sat 11-Mar-17 09:53:40

Well, if that's her passport photo she'd probably be turned away at passport control.

No offence intended to any Christian members.

Jalima Sat 11-Mar-17 09:56:48

I have heard of her ( the Apprentice?) and the tweeter who won the case (vaguely) although I don't tweet and neither is on my radar usually.

However, I saw this on the news and believe the right verdict was reached. Free speech or freedom to express your thoughts in the written word are to be applauded and upheld but lies and false accusations should be retracted and an apology given.

Spiteful, stubborn and now looking stupid.

Jalima Sat 11-Mar-17 09:59:25

It's a sad world if she has become famous and presumably was wealthy from doing nothing more than being nasty.

I mean - what does she do exactly???

Anniebach Sat 11-Mar-17 10:12:11

What she says is what some think

Rigby46 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:49:14

ab of course it is and more shame them and the DM and LBC for facilitating and encouraging this.

Anniebach Sat 11-Mar-17 10:52:22

Back to freedom of speech Rigby.

Rigby46 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:58:52

Of course but I don't have to like what she is free to say - this thread is about the fact that she has broken the law twice.i think with the right to free speech goes the responsibility of deciding how far we will exercise that and what is to be gained in some situations by so doing even if it's not libellous.

rosesarered Sat 11-Mar-17 11:10:53

If she breaks the law again then she will pay the price again ( or her employers will.)
Have never read anything by her, and who is Jack Monroe?

Anniebach Sat 11-Mar-17 11:22:41

I do know the difference between an opinion and libel,

what's to gain? For her it's well paid work, but who can decide how far free speech can be exercised , excluding libel. No one because what hurts one doesn't bother another

annodomini Sat 11-Mar-17 11:28:05

This libel was not part of her job as it was on Twitter. The Independent says that her costs are £300K. She needed to know that there's a price to pay for the bile she spews.

POGS Sat 11-Mar-17 12:01:51

rosesarered

"Have never read anything by her, and who is Jack Monroe?"

Google her name with David Cameron/Sainsburys for an example.

I suppose it's as with all things in life some people find one persons views distasteful somebody else will find another's views distasteful.

I care not a jot for Katy Hopkins or Jack Munroe they both have the 'platform' to expound their views but I have to admit to thinking if what Katy Hopkins has written in this particular court case has cost her £24 grand plus then Lord knows what could be made of some of the comments even on Gransnet.

I thought Katy Hopkins had tweeted something far worse to be honest when I first heard about this . Perhaps a salutary lesson to be learned somewhere along the line!

Rigby46 Sat 11-Mar-17 12:02:49

But ab it's not as simple as that - I think many of us make decisions daily about how we responsibly exercise free speech within the constrains of decency, politeness and acceptability and whilst of course there will not be complete agreement, I think there are some agreed parameters - it's not just a free for all