Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hopkins gets her come-uppance ?

(186 Posts)
MawBroon Fri 10-Mar-17 21:46:49

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/katie-hopkinsdefeated-by-jack-monroe-in-libel-case_uk_58c28bf5e4b054a0ea69df05?ncid=fcbklnkukhpmg00000001

An expensive display of arrogance, £24K damages plus over £100K costs.
I believe that she turned down several opportunities to apologise.

Jalima Sun 12-Mar-17 10:41:46

Ankers I think I posted earlier that free speech is one thing unless it breaks the law and incites hatred but libel is different. KH accused JM of something she had not done on a public forum and refused to apologise and put the record straight.

Elegran Sun 12-Mar-17 10:57:46

Three pages to argue over the respective responsibilties of publisher and writer for a libellous statement, and whether a publisher is reponsible for the libel that a freelancer writes when it is not published by them?

What timewasting gfery! Why does anyone get pulled into this?

Elegran Sun 12-Mar-17 11:00:39

Sorry, I missed out a Very Important information debate on the difference between free speech and bearing false witness - which apparently has still not been defined accurately enough. Sheez!!

Jalima Sun 12-Mar-17 11:10:13

grin

The garden beckons

Jalima Sun 12-Mar-17 11:12:39

Ps don't forget the discussion about the variations between freelance, employed, self-employed, contractual, NI contributions etc

Elegran Sun 12-Mar-17 11:17:10

grin Jalima And so does moving a double bed from one bedroom to another - plus everything that is stored underneath it and shifting the retiring kingsize bed to a temporary home until the Furniture Initiative can collect it. Frequent breaks necessary for refreshment and checking what nonsense there is on GN. I'll be sleeping amid chaos tonight.

Elegran Sun 12-Mar-17 11:23:01

This is KH's ultimate ambition (and she is not the only exponent of that aim)- get talked about. She doesn't care what you say about her, she has asbestos stuffing. Any publicity is good publicity, any quarrel is worth fomenting if she is in it. I wonder how many column inches she has harvested over the libel case? How many suckers will be reading her effusions in the hope of being shocked and titillated? Don't feed her!

Jalima Sun 12-Mar-17 14:48:51

Re your previous post Elegran I hope you didn't put everything back again that you took out from under the bed
I have been clearing a bed as well, a garden bed and debating where I could find a space for the plants, then decided that no, I did not need to keep them all, the untidy, scrappy ones, the ones I don't really like. So they're in the recycling bag.

Elegran Sun 12-Mar-17 15:15:56

I've given up on moving the bed on my own. It has a heavy base and has to be lifted into exactly the right position to lock in place on the bedends, which I don't think I have the muscle for. If DS drops in this afternoon he will find a job waiting for him.

I've dismantled the KS one and stored it up on its side leaning on the wardrobe, with the mattress (Dunlopillo and very floppy and unmanageable) stowed in behind it, so no acess to the wardrobe. I've moved the bedside tables from either side of the double bed to where that bed WILL be eventually, so if DS doesn't drop in I shall sleep tonight with no bedside table for my specs, mobile, box of tissues etc etc.
The plastic crates from under the double bed are stacked in the bath, the only spare space left in the house. Just as well there is a separate shower. I might raise the enthusiasm to go through the contents later this afternoon and weed out some of them.

durhamjen Sun 12-Mar-17 19:56:03

This is how to respond to Hopkins without ending up in court.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/12/tweet-to-katie-hopkins-just-say-sorry-jack-monroe