Gransnet forums

News & politics

Excellent news. Sgt Alexander Blackman has his sentence reduced.

(228 Posts)
POGS Wed 15-Mar-17 12:47:12

I know from my ' Phil Shiner Thread ' I will find objections to my view but I am so pleased that Sgt Blackman has had his sentence reduced to Manslaughter.

Well done to those who have stood by him and not thrown him under the bus.

I hope he returns to his family ASAP.

I have used the link to the Daily Mail as they have championed his case.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4315700/Appeal-Court-Judges-clear-Sgt-Alexander-Blackman.html

petra Fri 28-Apr-17 21:00:52

Jacksmum*
I wonder how his family felt about the 140 Afghan Soldiers that the Taliban blew up less than 2 weeks ago, they probably celebrated.

Anya Fri 28-Apr-17 20:48:35

Of course these people don't have feelings or grieve for their sons, fathers, husbands, etc...do they? hmm

Jalima1108 Fri 28-Apr-17 20:44:39

Good, sensitive post Iam64

We don't know what the mindset of the family of a Taliban killer is like, do we. They could be horrified that their son/husband had turned to such a murderous way of life but still loved him despite that, or they could have been encouraging him in his fundamentalism and murdering of Afghan women and children - the ordinary Afghan people that Sgt Blackman was defending.

Anniebach Fri 28-Apr-17 20:42:49

But we don't know how many if any he had killed, just as we know the marine killed one but if more or not we don't know.

I just don't understand why his defence st the first trial didn't go for the PTS plea

POGS Fri 28-Apr-17 20:21:56

jacksmum

In all probability they would have preferred for him to have killed 20 Marines , who knows perhaps he had.

jacksmum Fri 28-Apr-17 20:16:57

I wonder how the family are feeling of the man he killed ? must be heartbreaking for them,

Anniebach Fri 28-Apr-17 20:06:14

One Al Pacino film I shall pass on.

Luckygirl Fri 28-Apr-17 20:00:09

It was on the news this morning.....

"But it also emerged that his lawyer, Jonathan Goldberg QC, has been in Hollywood talking to a producer about the possibility of a film being made about the Marine A saga.

The barrister said there was talk of Blackman being played by Tom Hardy, Claire Blackman by Kate Winslet and Goldberg himself by Al Pacino."

merlotgran Fri 28-Apr-17 19:49:58

Is there definitely going to be a film? I haven't read anything about it.

Luckygirl Fri 28-Apr-17 19:39:00

This is the aspect that I find concerning too annie - it really does seem very wrong indeed that he should gain money from this.

The decision for him to have the conviction turned into manslaughter and for his mental health problems to be taken into consideration are entirely correct; but the rest is just totally unacceptable.

Anniebach Fri 28-Apr-17 19:24:42

Iam, I think a book and film rights are so wrong, sorry we cannot sgree on this, one man killed, one man served a prison sentence for manslaughter , the film will make him a hero and I find this most uncomfortable to accept

Iam64 Fri 28-Apr-17 18:48:08

I haven't heard anyone here (or anywhere else) calling him a hero Anniebach. His actions were wrong, he has accepted that, he has a conviction for manslaughter. None of that downplays what he did. What has happened, is that the mental health problems he was living with, probably directly linked too the 'tour from hell', precipitated him taking action he never had before and now, will never do again.
Given the positive thread on gransnet currently which discusses mental health and the need for more compassionate understanding of those who experience significant mental health, trauma, addiction etc I'd hope most of us would at least acknowledge this man was driven beyond the point of his competence.
Most of us do not support the recent wars our government has sent the military to fight in. In my case, that doesn't mean I don't support the men and women sent on these missions.

Anniebach Fri 28-Apr-17 16:05:31

I too am pleased he has returned to his family, he was found guilty of manslaughter not murder.

A book and a film? No, he is not a hero

POGS Fri 28-Apr-17 15:56:50

I suppose we must agree to disagree .

I remain very happy to know he has returned to his family.

Anniebach Fri 28-Apr-17 14:54:05

Sorry, in the film

Anniebach Fri 28-Apr-17 14:53:41

So a killer becomes a hero, will Arnie play him inbghecfilm

angelab Fri 28-Apr-17 14:46:57

Agree luckygirl, time for him to quietly retreat from the spotlight now

Luckygirl Fri 28-Apr-17 14:39:52

So...he commits a cold-blooded murder - under the stress of war - so, taking that into account, it is right that he has now been released.

But....he is to sell the book rights and Hollywood is thinking of making a film, and he will make a load of dosh out of it - now that is just not right.

Anniebach Fri 28-Apr-17 14:30:27

I hope the family of the dead man also find peace

morethan2 Fri 28-Apr-17 14:21:36

I hope he find peace. Both in the mind and in his life. I wish him and his family well.

nigglynellie Thu 27-Apr-17 19:37:14

Amen to that.

Iam64 Thu 27-Apr-17 18:45:20

I hope so as well POGS. I suspect he, his wife and loved one's will face trials but I'm relieved he's been released and wish them well.

POGS Thu 27-Apr-17 17:45:21

Bump

I am so pleased Sgt Blackman will be released tomorrow.

I did not start a new thread as it is the conclusion this one.

I hope he has a happy future ahead of him.

nigglynellie Sun 02-Apr-17 06:57:58

Which of course is what Tony Blair did!! The road to hell is often paved with good intentions! I really don't know what the answers are. If only human beings could live peacefully together, a forlorn hope I know!

petra Sat 01-Apr-17 22:52:31

So do we keep out of foriegn wars and let the despots carry on committing heinous crimes against their own people.
I have a delemer with this as I'm someone who wants to jump in and help people when people can't help themselves. But in these huge problems I know the consequences.