Gransnet forums

News & politics

George Osborne

(155 Posts)
daphnedill Fri 17-Mar-17 12:13:00

Apparently George Osborne has a new job as editor of the London Evening Standard, in addition to his £600,000pa job as a fund manager adviser. He says he's going to stay on as an MP.

Where's the man in a white suit? It seems that, with Neil Hamilton as ex-MP, Tatton doesn't have the best of luck with its MPs.

Isn't it a bit greedy to have three jobs when some people can't even find one? hmm

JessM Wed 22-Mar-17 15:05:59

Well obviously stranger things HAVE happened. And recently too.
However his litany of bad decisions over his last year in office... would make it a scary thought. (I don't have to list them do I? Starting with v v nearly losing Scotland and then calling another referendum...)
But with Trump in the White House you'd have to have bad judgement to want the job!

Riverwalk Wed 22-Mar-17 08:26:55

I read that Cameron is in the running to be General Secretary of NATO! shock

JessM Wed 22-Mar-17 08:24:42

Suspect the other London editors are really pissed off. They've had to learn skills and climb a greasy pole, and Gideon saunters in, smiling smugly, in as if he's been invited to join the local PTA.
Then he implies it's a job he can do part-time.
Ex ministers are often given directorships. They turn up to board meetings every couple of months and earn their keep because they are well connected. Their role is "advisory". They may not know a thing about the industry in question, or the skills of being a director. But they are not the chief executive.
Any suggestions for a job for David Cameron?
(the only one I've heard of is running a charity that he invented himself, also President of a charity (an honorary role) househusband and auto-biographer.)
But who knows what he's being lined up for. (assuming that there are some powerful people who either owe him a favour, or are prepared to overlook his massively bad judgement)

Ginny42 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:12:02

Who could possibly disagree with that Jen? In particular para 6 of the statement and thank goodness for para 7.

durhamjen Tue 21-Mar-17 22:29:14

kittysjones.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/politics-and-insights-condemns-george-osbornes-appointment-to-the-evening-standard-in-joint-independent-media-statement/

JackieBee1 Mon 20-Mar-17 22:13:58

Mhairi Black is a star. She is a huge supporter of WASPI and talks a lot of sense.

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 21:21:36

grin

Penstemmon Mon 20-Mar-17 21:19:03

Umm! DMs are normal footwear in our family grin

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 09:56:57

DD1 used to wear bright blue Doc Martens when a rebellious teenager.....but I liked them, so she soon reverted to normal footwear.

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 09:54:43

Quirky footwear is a sign of individuality, Lebedev and Farage are demonstrating that they don't need to fit in with the crowd.

durhamjen Mon 20-Mar-17 08:53:17

He's as qualified for it as Osborne.
Lebedev has done a brilliant job of upsetting journalists everywhere. Trump should take some lessons from him.

daphnedill Mon 20-Mar-17 08:51:20

Arsenal might need a new manager soon, too, unless Paul Nuttall gets the job.grin

durhamjen Mon 20-Mar-17 08:51:18

Hope they are not Doc Marten's. I'll never be able to buy them for my granddaughters again!

daphnedill Mon 20-Mar-17 08:49:10

Ginny Yes, I did. I've forgotten who made them, but one paper claimed they cost £295. Mmmm...classy (not). Lebedev's shoes are a bit strange too. Murdoch is the only one with normal shoes.

durhamjen Mon 20-Mar-17 08:49:01

What confused me is that Blair seems to be setting up a company to research into himself.

Ginny42 Mon 20-Mar-17 08:45:58

Very interesting article by Zoe Williams, especially in the hundred's of comments following it. Amused by one which said, How's George going to manage it all with Strictly coming up?

Have said before on GN that Blair speaks sense to me. I'm just saying that I'm not going to chuck out the message because of who's delivering it. In my view it should be Corbyn, but hey ho, he's not going to.

Ginny42 Mon 20-Mar-17 08:26:48

Did you clock Farage's shoes in DD's photo?

durhamjen Sun 19-Mar-17 23:36:00

Didn't Murdoch sit in on that interview between Gove and trump, too?

durhamjen Sun 19-Mar-17 23:33:28

Zoe Williams was right about Blair, too. I was so confused at the end, I had no idea what he was supposed to be supporting.

daphnedill Sun 19-Mar-17 23:26:13

Lebedev (Junior) is a strange character. He has actually done some serious journalism. He also allows his editors to have considerable freedom. The Evening Standard's journalism is no longer what it once was, but it has done some serious campaigning on London's homelessness. Lebedev also owns the Independent.

However, he does invite some interesting people to his garden parties.

daphnedill Sun 19-Mar-17 23:11:05

Zoe Williams' view of Osborne's appointment:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/19/george-osborne-brexit-chancellor-evening-standard-metropolitan-elite

I think she could be right. Osborne isnb't doing the job for the money, but for the influence.

durhamjen Sun 19-Mar-17 22:46:24

167,000+ signatures now.

durhamjen Sun 19-Mar-17 20:02:56

"The fundamental job of any free press is to hold power to account. This recruitment blows that idea out of the water. How will the London Evening Standard scrutinise a government when it’s run by a man who less than a year ago was its de facto number two – and who remains an MP for the ruling party? In the financial capital of the world, how much credibility will the Standard’s City pages command when their ultimate editor is in the pay of a giant fund manager? And how is journalism ever going to become an industry that represents its audience if one of its plum jobs can be lobbed by the son of a Russian oligarch into the lap of a public schoolboy who has never subbed, reported or edited? "

durhamjen Sun 19-Mar-17 19:51:08

Peter Preston putting Osborne in his place.
www.theguardian.com/media/2017/mar/19/george-osborne-not-fake-news-just-fake-editor-evening-standard

It shows how little Osborne and Lebedev know about editing a newspaper.

durhamjen Sun 19-Mar-17 18:23:30

There is a register of interests for journalists in the commons. I wonder if Osborne will have to list his conflict of interests as being an MP.