Gransnet forums

News & politics

Snap Election

(66 Posts)
Fitzy54 Mon 20-Mar-17 07:11:13

Theresa May is being put under pressure by some in her party to call a snap election. Their motive is to get a bigger Tory majority and a clear mandate to negotiate Brexit on their terms. But the other parties would then also have the opportunity to put their case for a softer Brexit. It would also be an opportunity for the Scots to show their support or otherwise for a new independence vote. Should we have an early general election?

Ana Mon 20-Mar-17 12:08:53

Not many of them voted then! What about the other 83%?

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 12:05:26

Perhaps Ddil means percentage of Lib Dem voters voting Leave, as opposed to actual people, a very different thing!
According to Lord Ashcroft (after the referendum,) 12% of Lib Dem voters had voted to Remain and 5% had voted to Leave.

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 11:32:36

Good post POGS

POGS Mon 20-Mar-17 11:28:08

I don't want a snap election.

I want a government that is prepared to ' fulfil it's duty ' to the European Referendum result which was carried out abiding by the rules of engagement using due process of a democratic vote.

Had the democratic vote result been undermined by Parliament and the Lords over the 'triggering of Article 50' then I believe Theresa May could well have called for a snap election at that point.

There is a case for the Conservatives to call a snap election if they want to 'use' the problems facing the Labour Party for 'personal gain' but I don't particularly like to see that sort of politics being used. Politics has a bad enough reputation already.

I think if Theresa May does call for a snap election (a way can be found to get around the Fixed Term Parliament I'm sure) it will be because of the European Referendum Result and the other parties doing all they can to undermine her negotiations.

I think we could well be on the tip of that iceberg however .

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 11:22:32

It was a vote that split the whole UK.

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 11:21:36

grin Don't believe it Ana ( maybe it's fake news?)
Former Lib Dem MP Paul Keetch set up a Lib Dem Leave campaign group.Many Lib Dem voters will have voted Leave, just as many Labour and Conservative voters did.

Ana Mon 20-Mar-17 11:15:38

I can't believe the number of LibDems who voted to Leave was in 'low single figures'. What, only 4 or 5 out of the whole lot? confused

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 11:13:15

In any case polls only show those that they have actually asked, a representative example at best,which is why the polls get it wrong at election time.

Anniebach Mon 20-Mar-17 11:12:20

Was the total from each party given ?

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 11:11:04

You trust polls? grin

daphnedill Mon 20-Mar-17 11:08:29

roses I can't find the poll results at the moment, but the number of people who voted LibDem in either 2010 or 2015 and subsequently voted Leave was in low single figures. They must have all lived in your village.

Cindersdad Mon 20-Mar-17 11:05:09

A snap election would be a mixed blessing and I think totally unpredictable currently. The government is deeply unpopular with a great many voters so for TM to think that she would great a bigger majority would be very risky.

Brexit has clouded the issue with nearly all REMAINERS still that way inclined, a lot of those who did not vote probably wishing they had bothered to vote REMAIN and a significant percentage of LEAVERS having since changed their minds. I could be wrong but I fear even more chaos as the country simply is not ready for an election.

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 11:03:57

Of course, they could pick up some Tory voters who wanted to Remain, which is what I meant by the referendum clouding the political waters.

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 11:00:01

Since it was secret ballot nobody knows how many Lib Dem voters opted for Leave,
Before Cameron offered a referendum, it didn't matter what the 'top brass' in the Lib Dems or the actual members thought about the EU, as like all other parties, the voters outweigh the members.Six of us, all good friends, in my village, all Lib Dem supporters up to now voted to Leave.One village in the UK.More than the odd Lib Dem supporter to be lost I think.

daphnedill Mon 20-Mar-17 10:46:29

Riverwalk HopeNotHate claims to have evidence that Ukip overspent seriously in South Thanet and are calling for an offical investigation. I suspect that the Tories would win again, if there were another election in South Thanet.

There's evidence that there was tactical voting to keep Farage out and I suspect the voters would do it again. Farage now seems to have aligned himself with Arron Banks' new party, which seems to be a sort of BNP-lite. I suspect it's too much for the electorate to stomach.

daphnedill Mon 20-Mar-17 10:39:28

Farron has said he would consider working with Labour, but not with Corbyn. I think it would be more likely to be a working agreement rather than a formal coalition.

daphnedill Mon 20-Mar-17 10:35:42

The vast majority of LibDems voted Remain. The EU is in the LibDems' DNA and they have been 100% consistent in their views throughout. I don't suppose they're too bothered by losing the odd voter or two. Their membership is increasing and they're doing well in local elections and by-elections. It depends how they target their campaigns. They could very well get back to 2010 numbers. The bigger question is whether Labour can stop the Conservatives from winning an absolute majority. It's unlikely that many seats will go from Labour to Conservative, but after Copeland anything is possible.

dbDB77 Mon 20-Mar-17 10:08:22

Another point to consider - the effect of the boundary changes. Would Theresa may prefer a GE after they have been implemented? I agree with other posters who have said that we need a period of stability - don't think I could face another election just now.

Anniebach Mon 20-Mar-17 10:08:03

Voters are won over by the party leader , many do not trawl the net , they watch tv and decide

Fitzy54 Mon 20-Mar-17 10:02:53

Riverwalk, I agree entirely re the current unpredictability of the electorate. If the LDs ran the right campaign they might well have a chance of holding the balance of power. However I also agree that the most likely outcome is an increased Tory majority

Anniebach Mon 20-Mar-17 09:56:09

Osbourne's contituency is on the list of lost seats come the boundery changes

Riverwalk Mon 20-Mar-17 09:51:47

It's assumed by most people, including me, that Labour would lose heavily and the Tories would gain a big majority, but the electorate as we now know is extremely fickle and unpredictable.

George Osborne for one could face a serious challenge from a new Martin Bell-type candidate who would make much of multi-jobs, conflicts of interests, etc.

Paul Nuttall has become a figure of fun and lacking credibility so not much threat from UKIP, but Nige might like to have yet another stab at South Thanet, particularly as the Tory winner is named in the spending scandal. I'm sure TM wouldn't want him in the HoC during Brexit negotiations.

Anniebach Mon 20-Mar-17 09:41:53

Fitzy, the Libs cannot hold balance of power at the next election, they wouldn't be needed by the Tories when they win by a much larger majority anyway.

Talk of coalition by greens, Lib , and labour is nonsense, greens have one seat, Libs will not work with Corbyn.

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 09:37:49

The Leave/Remain voting has clouded the political waters.

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 09:36:35

The problem for Lib Dems is that they have gone all out in wanting another referendum ( to get a Remain majority) when some of the Lib Dem voters may well have voted to Leave (me, and quite a few of our friends.)So that knocks back their support somewhat.