Gransnet forums

News & politics

Laura Kuenssberg

(55 Posts)
tigger Thu 23-Mar-17 22:42:17

Is it me, or does anyone else find Lauran Kurenssberg's coverage of he terrorist attack provocative and divisive? I have just watched her latest BBC broadcast where she states that it was not the police but a minister's bodyguard who apprehended the terrorist and killed him. By implication she infers that the Parliamentary Police Force was inadequate and slow to react. Also that the terrorist was able to breach the Parliament gateway. Given that the attack was the action of a "lone wolf" the action taken by the police officers in the first instance was exemplary. I believe it was inappropriate for her to comment in the tone and manner she made this broadcast and perhaps many others may agree with my opinion of her stance she made on this occasion.

Maggiemaybe Fri 24-Mar-17 09:14:05

Well, it was only a matter of time before the media turned its focus onto blaming the security services for failing to have a 24/7 tail on every one of the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people who have ever appeared, however briefly, on their radar.

If this somehow translates into fewer budget cuts and less pressure on the poor sods on the front line, it could be a good thing.

Izabella Fri 24-Mar-17 09:17:12

Can't understand a word she says and she is impossible to lip read too. Not that she can help her oral impediments of cours.

Izabella Fri 24-Mar-17 09:17:36

Course ......

daphnedill Fri 24-Mar-17 09:20:34

I've never had any problems understanding her. Do you have a problem with Scots, Izabella?

thatbags Fri 24-Mar-17 09:37:20

Don't exaggerate, maggiemaybe. Blaming the security services as you outline is not what is happening. Or, if it is, it's only the stupid shriekers who make a big fuss about everything doing the blaming. They can be safely ignored.

Scrutiny of safety measures and security when something tragic happens is not blaming. It's checking that things are tip top. It could be that nothing needs changing but only scrutiny will determine that.

Maggiemaybe Fri 24-Mar-17 09:49:08

My perception of what will now happen, thatbags. Which is just as valid as yours.

Anya Fri 24-Mar-17 12:19:58

Why would anyone want her to seem appealing (LK that is) confused FFS?

Alima Fri 24-Mar-17 12:38:16

I do not have a problem with LK, with either her reporting or accent. She sounds quite posh Scots to me. Really liked Nick Robinson in the role of political editor. Apparently it was a minister's bodyguard who shot the attacker. Has it been ascertained whether or not the police guarding the Palace of Westminster are routinely armed?

nigglynellie Fri 24-Mar-17 12:43:37

I don't have a problem with LK, and can't quite see why anyone else has. For me she always reports news as it is professionally and accurately with sympathy without sentiment. What I did find rather disturbing was the fact that Teresa May didn't seem to know which car to get into, her bodyguards presumably not having made this clear to her. She was at one point dangerously exposed and had there been a lone gunman who had slipped passed security some hours earlier, she would have been an easy target. I guess all this in now under review.

Anniebach Fri 24-Mar-17 13:09:38

I thought the same Niggly, and the driver had to call to someone to give him the car keys . Watching her rather isolated was alarming

Anniebach Fri 24-Mar-17 13:26:46

SKY news are criticising the response to getting May away safely. Not only did the driver have to ask for the car keys, he had to do a three point turn to get out.

nigglynellie Fri 24-Mar-17 13:33:50

Something tells me that 'questions will be asked'!! This method of doing things certainly needs tightening up!

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 14:23:36

I'm fed up with the kind of journalism which gives the public the kind of narrative people want to hear. I want to hear facts even if they are not palatable and I want to hear more of the facts. I find that people such as Orla Guerin or Jeremy Bowen present the facts extremely well, as do other reporters such as Lise Ducet. Unfortunately much of the BBC 'news' seems to be the Laura Kuenssberg show these days. If I want to listen to an inquisition on the so-called failings of the intelligence services I will listen to Newsnight or similar - if there is to be an investigation I want to listen to the news that there is to be an investigation and listen out for the results of the investigation or follow it in another programme as suggested in my post above.

I don't particularly want to listen to interrogations/inquisitions in the half-hour news.
So please could someone direct me to a straightforward news programme please - preferably one which does not involve having to subscribe to Sky or similar?

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 14:26:41

^ Kuenssberg stated facts.^
She does not just state facts - if she did she would not come in for the criticism - other BBC journalists do not seem to attract the same criticism as they are far more professional.

I think she would have been excellent as a replacement for Jeremy Paxman, she has that terrier-like personality.

Lillie Fri 24-Mar-17 14:27:05

If you look closely, niggly, when they shouted to her to "get in the car" there was a black 4x4 to her right with the doors thrown open. To be fair it would have been easy for her to think they meant that one, not the silver one. The black one followed her car out.

Izabella Fri 24-Mar-17 14:30:16

dephnedill no I have absolutely no problem with a Scottish accent or any other for that matter. I have profound hearing problems and her diction is beyond me. If you watch closelsy both her tongue usage and shape of mouth you will see perhaps how I struggle to either ascertain what she is saying, or lip read her. I have nothing against her personally.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 14:30:49

Don't exaggerate, maggiemaybe. Blaming the security services as you outline is not what is happening.
But that is exactly what LK was doing!

Do I get different BBC news beamed into my house?

nigglynellie Fri 24-Mar-17 15:01:57

Lillie, I don't blame TM at at all. It was a perfectly legitimate for her to be unsure as to which car she should be getting into, what was disturbing was that it should have been made clear to her which car to get into before she left the building! For about 30 seconds she was exposed to any lurking maniac with a gun who would have had no trouble in shooting her dead.

dbDB77 Fri 24-Mar-17 15:15:36

I didn't like the LK interview with Amber Rudd (Home Secretary) - "so it was a security failure then?" Why look to blame? The time for the blame-game post-mortem was not on the day of the terrorist attack. And I think there's only one person to blame - the terrorist. Our intelligence & security forces have kept us very safe over the years - but as the IRA murderer Martin McGuinness said "the IRA only has to be lucky once".
But all news outlets put their own slant on the news and isn't LK just following the BBC news editor's instructions?

thatbags Fri 24-Mar-17 17:35:10

Only LK doing any 'blaming' though, jalima. That's what I meant. Other journalists and other media have been more circumspect. Mentions of security have been made and queries made about whether there need to be changes. That's not blaming.

thatbags Fri 24-Mar-17 17:38:25

I didn't see the LK interview, btw, (don't have a telly), but if she did ask the question that dbDB quoted, wasn't she just being deliberately provocative to get Amber Rudd to do some straight talking?

Just thinking that might be a possibility.

thatbags Fri 24-Mar-17 17:42:11

LK is the BBC political editor. I doubt if she has to kowtow to other BBC editors.

In fact, apart from heeding the impartiality ruling in the BBC's remit, BBC editors shouldn't be kowtowing to anyone or anything.

thatbags Sat 25-Mar-17 07:42:41

I've just read this in the Atlantic: "Talk radio thrives on confrontation and recrimination".

I expect Talk TV does too. Worth bearing in mind when a TV editor says something provocative. It's probably deliberate and probably, in part at least, with viewer ratings in mind.

The speaker may also just want to find something out by asking ruthless questions.

Luckygirl Sat 25-Mar-17 08:27:24

There are bound to be questions about security - it would be irresponsible if there were not, and I am sure the it will be thoroughly examined and if necessary changed. One change might be providing the lone police officer in front of the building with a protective vest at least.

I have never had a problem with LK - she does her job.

The journalistic style that I hate is asking a question then continually interrupting so that the answer cannot be elicited. I have not really noticed LK doing this.

Anniebach Sat 25-Mar-17 08:48:10

What irritates me is politicians who try to talk their interview time out so avoiding answering more than a set question