Gransnet forums

News & politics

April Fools Day

(23 Posts)
durhamjen Sat 01-Apr-17 00:31:19

How will we be able to recognise what is an April Fool's joke in the papers this year?

www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/mar/31/late-night-tv-hosts-trump-trevor-noah-stephen-colbert

There was another article saying that the US wants to exchange trump, but it was dated 30/04/2017 so it must be real news, mustn't it?

Badenkate Sat 01-Apr-17 08:56:02

We're just living in one, aren't we dj? It's like aliens are putting on an equivalent of The Truman Show and keep adding little tweets to see what we'll do.

Badenkate Sat 01-Apr-17 08:57:22

Sorry that should be 'tweeks'. Please let's have an editing facility!

shysal Sat 01-Apr-17 09:03:56

This popped up on Freegle this morning.

Ginny42 Sat 01-Apr-17 09:16:02

The Guardian has Georgio Osbourne fashion designer.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/01/by-georgio-osborne-takes-new-job-as-fashion-designer

Made me laugh anyway.

annsixty Sat 01-Apr-17 09:24:10

I think but am only guessing that the DT story of the polar bear drifting to a Scottish island on an ice flow sounds suspect.

nigglynellie Sat 01-Apr-17 09:56:05

Yes, PLEASE can we have an editing facility?!

Elegran Sat 01-Apr-17 10:01:21

Interesting article on Mumsnet New technology will allow mothers to read their unborn baby's mind

sunseeker Sat 01-Apr-17 10:11:28

Can I declare here and now that I really really dislike April Fool's Day blush. I don't mind the spoof articles in the newspapers or on radio and TV but get very annoyed when strangers play practical jokes and then look surprised when you object!! Actually I dislike practical jokes full stop - no matter what time of year it is. OK I will now go away and sit in a bunker until mid-day (when all jokes should stop!)

J52 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:18:34

I've just been sent an e mail from Joules, advertising a 4 person rain poncho for all the family to wear at once, when out bike riding! grin

Luckygirl Sat 01-Apr-17 11:37:17

I am squeamish about April Fools Day as I feel uncomfortable about the idea of making fools of someone.

However.........my DDs did sew up the front split of my OH's boxer shorts one year - that was pretty funny - the surses emitting from the bathroom were very satisfying. And on R4 this morning someone rang in to say that when she was a teenager she and a group of friends advertised their school for sale - "beautiful mansion with gym etc." - and put the HM's phone number as the contact! Sounds like fun!

Luckygirl Sat 01-Apr-17 11:37:35

curses

daphnedill Sat 01-Apr-17 11:45:06

Try being born on 1st April!

MawBroon Sat 01-Apr-17 11:47:44

annsixty I had real doubts about the polar bear story too, but in a 12 month period when the UK can vote to leave the EU and Trump becomes POTUS I thought "anything is possible"!!
(However the references to haggis and Scotch eggs were a bit of a giveaway - I think!!)

Riverwalk Sat 01-Apr-17 12:27:44

I loved the Guardian's Georgio! Made me laugh plus it was very cleverly written.

I was intrigued with the Telegraph's polar bears until it got to Glasgow and kebabs!

Yes MawBroon, imagine for a minute if it were announced that Donald Trump was the president of the United States - I think we'd spot that one right away! hmm

Swanny Sat 01-Apr-17 13:11:13

GN's own Home Page article Viking style for over 60s had me sat openmouthed thinking 'What the ....?' The more I read I really started giggling, so well done GN.

Unless of course you have double-fooled me and it's factual? shock

durhamjen Sat 01-Apr-17 13:16:34

updates.oxfam.org.uk/c/110I3gq3sNSZUMQ0wcMJq1cWJp

Oxfam quiz for April Fools Day.

mrsmopp Wed 05-Apr-17 10:12:17

The Maily Dale had Prince Harry getting married secretly in Las Vegas!
Maybe it's true??
I do remember the evening TV news back in the 50,s showing the spaghetti harvest in Italy - people gathering strands of spaghetti that were hanging from trees.
It didn't fool me though, everyone knows spaghetti comes in tins...

mrsmopp Wed 05-Apr-17 10:29:57

BBC Spaghetti harvest is on YouTube wonderfully done!

yogagran Wed 05-Apr-17 11:09:21

MawBroon and annsisty re the story of the polar bear in Scotland check out the name that he's been given. "Lirpa Loof"

MawBroon Wed 05-Apr-17 11:11:16

gringrin
I was so close to being taken in, teetering even!! blush

annsixty Wed 05-Apr-17 11:18:18

Thank you yogagran I looked for proof but didn't find it.I feel vindicated now?

Eloethan Wed 05-Apr-17 11:56:59

www.theguardian.com/money/2017/apr/01/lets-move-to-framplington-suffolk-too-good-to-be-true

This was the Guardian's Saturday magazine April Fool. I was actually taken in for a few moments.

I remember seeing the Panorama spaghetti tree AF and I recall being sceptical about it - I was only 7. I must have had more sense then.