Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit all done and dusted?

(857 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 02-Apr-17 16:47:13

As an arch REMOANER I for one (of many) will not simply roll over and say that is that. As things progress at the very least parliament must ensure that the country does not Brexit in a bad way because of "The Will of the People". So many lies were told by both side at the time of referendum that when the full facts come to light a re-think should be considered.

I have yet to hear a sound reason for voting LEAVE. Of course the EU is far from perfect but we are better trying to change it from within than sniping from outside. A general election or second referendum before the point of absolute no return.

I happen to be visiting Brussels on an educational trip after Easter so until then I will put up and shut up unless really provoked.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 18:49:19

Id just like to you tell me durhamjen as i got lost in all your links.

Welshwife Sun 23-Apr-17 19:07:58

Jen has given her reasons a number of times while these threads have been going on. A number of us have the same or similar reasons for wanting to stay.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 19:09:25

Id like them in some sort of readable form, it get's lost in links. Could you tell me then why you want to stay as she's not around at the moment.

mcem Sun 23-Apr-17 19:22:39

As far as I can see, those who frequently post links do so as a result of fairly extensive reading. Their links are helpful to anyone who wants to follow an argument through. Equally they can be and are ignored.
To expect them to spoonfeed articles to those who don't/ won't/ can't read the linked articles, by providing précis is asking too much.
There's also lots of intelligent discussion available if you sort the wheat from the chaff.

Welshwife Sun 23-Apr-17 19:30:44

Google - What has the EU done for us- or similar SAAK and you should get some answers. As Mcem says we post the links when articles are long or we know many people will not be bothered to read the articles. It is now too time consuming to give you all the reasons - we do all have another life!

varian Sun 23-Apr-17 19:31:44

I agree mcem. I really appreciate links, especially from dj who directs us to sites we may not know. The more information the better.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 19:32:50

Exactly, they are too long so I have no idea why you would do that. Just say what you think in a few sentences.

varian Sun 23-Apr-17 19:33:54

Oh saak if only it were that simple!

Ana Sun 23-Apr-17 19:35:33

durhamjen has a lot of links posted to her email inbox by various media sources - she just passes them on to GN. You don't really think she scours the internet for information to back up her views, surely?

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 19:37:03

It is Varian. I want out of a dictatorship and will do what is necessary to get out of it. We can always rebuild, we can't stay in something that doesn't work.

mcem Sun 23-Apr-17 19:48:16

Ana the implication is that however the initial articles come to the attention of any interested party, at least a quick skim-read will be necessary to decide which are noteworthy and relevant. Google, newsfeeds, the media even visits to the local library might all prove to be useful sources.
Expecting major issues to be chunked to make them easy to understand is pretty lazy. Clearly those who acquire their 'knowledge'from dubious headlines and soundbites are content with that level of research and can't handle anything more demanding.

varian Sun 23-Apr-17 19:52:59

saak you are not and never have been living in a dictatorship.

Please do not believe everything you read in the Daily Mail/ Sun / Express.

There are countries in the world that are much nearer to dictatorships - Turkey, the Philipines and many others. Think yourself lucky that you are free to express your opinions and I mine.

The EU was a force for good. Did you never vote in an EU election? Or did you make the mistake of voting UKIP?

Ana Sun 23-Apr-17 19:54:30

Yes mcem, I do appreciate that the articles have to be at least skim-read before being passed on as supporting a certain view.

I was just making the point that durhamjen doesn't spend her days scouring the internet etc.

daphnedill Sun 23-Apr-17 19:57:33

Don't forget North Korea and Saudi - all countries Brexiteers see as potential trading partners.

I wish I'd spent the last twenty years being a UKIP MEP. I wouldn't have had to do much, nice salary (paid in euros,so it would have increased over the last year), expenses, good pension. Wow! They certainly spotted the gravy train as it was departing!

mcem Sun 23-Apr-17 20:00:16

I think that's fairly obvious. Who'd have time? Also who'd have time to translate heaps of relevant information into words of one syllable to satisfy those who CBA even trying to find a source other than the tabloids? (Obviously that's not directed at you!)

daphnedill Sun 23-Apr-17 20:02:25

I like original articles, because I can delve into any sources cited, even if the article has been summarised.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again."

Alexander Pope in "An Essay on Criticism", 1709

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 20:02:26

what will happen? the sky will fall in obviously. It's not a mistake, the only mistake some people are making is being so negative about a new beginning. Staid, non achievers do this.

daphnedill Sun 23-Apr-17 20:06:56

gringringrin

Dear oh dear!

People with no argument resort to name-calling.

gringringrin

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 20:10:29

I didn't name call at all. I said that people who are negative about new beginnings are usual staid and non achievers. This is probably due to fear of the unknown. Where people that go for it are achievers.

varian Sun 23-Apr-17 20:36:57

Oh saak you have just stated something as if it was a fact which sounds to me exactly the opposite of the truth. Is that an alternative fact? If not please give us a link to your evidence.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 20:38:34

It is becoming quite well known that gluten isn't the issue in most cases. Im not into posting links though so maybe do a bit of reverse research yourself?

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 20:41:28

Apologies. wrong thread smile

On this one, I don't really need to give any evidence. What on earth is that? I know "my" truth that I live every day, don't you?

varian Sun 23-Apr-17 20:42:08

Gluten???

varian Sun 23-Apr-17 20:44:12

Are you Kellyann Conway?

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 20:44:42

ha, im laughing here. Apologies!