Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit all done and dusted?

(857 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 02-Apr-17 16:47:13

As an arch REMOANER I for one (of many) will not simply roll over and say that is that. As things progress at the very least parliament must ensure that the country does not Brexit in a bad way because of "The Will of the People". So many lies were told by both side at the time of referendum that when the full facts come to light a re-think should be considered.

I have yet to hear a sound reason for voting LEAVE. Of course the EU is far from perfect but we are better trying to change it from within than sniping from outside. A general election or second referendum before the point of absolute no return.

I happen to be visiting Brussels on an educational trip after Easter so until then I will put up and shut up unless really provoked.

durhamjen Tue 16-May-17 23:00:11

Labour does have a problem with Brexit, though.
There are lots of Labour constituencies where the MP voted remain and the constituents voted to leave. That's how the moneymen can back brexiters in those constituents.

Liberals are much clearer in that they want to remain.
All Tories obey the Great Leader on Brexit.

stillaliveandkicking Tue 16-May-17 23:19:30

How on earth do you know the "consequences" If you actually look at the 26 in the EU most, apart from a few are trying to get out of their countries for a better life, what's that about then. I wouldn't mind if it was half/half but it's not.

stillaliveandkicking Tue 16-May-17 23:22:59

It's a bloody farce and everyone should be well and truly over it.

stillaliveandkicking Tue 16-May-17 23:38:19

We do not need to be in some kind of post war club anymore to keep some kind of "peace". It's done, we're getting out. Either you're with the UK or you're not. I find it pretty sad and ridiculous that arm chair politicians that know only what is fed to them cannot get with the programme.

daphnedill Tue 16-May-17 23:39:45

I'm in the UK and support Remain.

stillaliveandkicking Tue 16-May-17 23:42:48

Why do you want to remain in the EU daphnedill? Fear?

stillaliveandkicking Tue 16-May-17 23:50:42

The EU is governed by who? Brussels? It's bloody time to break free. I'm so proud of my democratic country to do this. I love being British again.

daphnedill Wed 17-May-17 00:32:00

Fear of what? No. Because it's best for the UK.

You always were British. The EU is governed by its member states, including the UK. The EU has a more democratic system of governance than the UK.

I assume its because you don't have a good case that you resort to attempts at bullying.

Have you always been a bad team player?

stillaliveandkicking Wed 17-May-17 00:36:01

Im a great "team player" daph but also an individual. Sometimes "clubs" don't work anymore and this is one that doesn't. I also disagree that the EU has any kind of "democratic" system in place, you only have to look at their reactions to see this or are you in denial?

Bullying? smile

whitewave Wed 17-May-17 14:38:15

What has struck me today, is the fact that so many warned that the Trump election was going to end in tears and were told that they were scaremongering - ring any bells!?

Brexit how many have warned that it could all go pearshaped? How many said "scaremongering"?

angelab Wed 17-May-17 14:54:03

*stillaliveand kicking*: in an earlier post you referred (scathingly) to "arm chair politicians that know only what is fed to them" - are you not one of these yourself?

durhamjen Wed 17-May-17 18:15:20

www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/publications/taking-back-control-trade-policy

No chance of us taking back control if Maybot carries on the way she is going.

durhamjen Wed 17-May-17 19:07:19

George Monbiot says that the way Brexit was bought would be seen as corruption in other countries.
I agree with him.

durhamjen Wed 17-May-17 21:02:51

Well done, EU. They are not going to allow the talks to be in secret, as May wants.

www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-16/brexit-talks-can-t-be-secret-eu-says-in-push-for-transparency

rosesarered Wed 17-May-17 21:11:35

We will be leaving the EU no matter which Party gains power so why not hope for the best deal possible for us.The way some talk ( 'well done EU'etc) is odd, who wouldn't want a good outcome for the UK? Seeing that we live here, and our children and grandchildren too.

rosesarered Wed 17-May-17 21:14:49

The bullying that I see on the political pages is certainly not from saak who puts her views in a fiesty and succinct way, with no personal jibes at others.

FarNorth Thu 18-May-17 11:50:43

"Well done, EU." referred to the talks not being in secret. What's wrong with that?

durhamjen Thu 18-May-17 15:42:04

Some people just don't read the message, FarNorth.
You did, and saw the point. Thanks.

Much better to have talks in the open so we all know what we are getting into - or out of.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 19-May-17 01:21:20

Thank you rosesarered flowers. I think people have the misconception that I'm either pissed or out to do some sort of harm. When in reality I work crazy hours and am very straightforward.

rosesarered Fri 19-May-17 11:15:51

smile saak

varian Mon 22-May-17 17:49:45

Last year the whole country was split down the middle by the EU referendum. David Cameron was responsible for causing the damage because he thought he would easily convince the majority to vote Remain and underestimated the huge resources and forces that were put into the Leave campaign by people who did not have the best interests of this country at heart.

We have yet to see the extent of the fallout but there is no doubt that there has already been huge damage done to the United Kingdom and much worse is to come.

Our standing in the world has been diminished. Other civilised countries see us as a laughing stock, but the future looks even bleaker as the Tories seem almost certain to be re-elected with a Prime Minister who gets her instructions from the editor of the Daily Mail.

The only hope we can have is for enough voters to understand the dangers of a hard Brexit and vote for whichever non-Tory, non_UKIP candidate has the best chance of winning in their constituency.

durhamjen Mon 22-May-17 18:04:28

" The Office for Budget Responsibility indicated last year that cutting immigration to below 100,000 by 2020 would cost the government around £8.7bn a year by 2022. Theresa May, with an obsession bordering on monomania, has committed to this immigration target with a vengeance. She has not committed to saying where the money will come from.

Also, the manifesto confirms Britain will leave the single market and customs union. This will almost certainly have a significant economic cost, for the country and thus for the government. No attempt is made to calculate the impact of this on public funding. Trust Theresa, is the message. Strong and stable. Think of England.

Does it matter? Well, if you understand government finances, no - Britain's deficit obsession looks absurd, given that the original Conservative aim of eliminating the deficit has now been pushed back from the original 2015 deadline to a whole decade later. "

From this article

www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2017/05/18/the-tory-manifesto-is-an-uncosted-shambles

durhamjen Fri 26-May-17 18:40:42

Brexit has takern a back seat in the election debate. Perhaps that was Maybot's intention, to win and then tell everyone she had a mandate for a hard Brexit.

This article shows that the EU have not been asleep over the past few weeks.

www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/brexit-transparency-tool-and-europe-using-it

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 19:03:34

I totally disagree with the statement that our standing in the world has been diminished. I think everyone is waiting to see what will happen before leaving the EU themselves.

I also want a proper leave, which I guess has been labelled a hard brexit.

We are leaving due to very just and valid reasons.

I am also 100 percent behind Theresa May as that is her name. I find calling her names such as Maybot pretty foul.

whitewave Fri 26-May-17 19:05:31

saak interested in what you mean by a hard Brexit