Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who cares what colour their passport is?

(121 Posts)
suzied Mon 03-Apr-17 12:28:32

I've just heard someone on the radio getting all excited about changing the passport colour "back"to dark blue and who said he felt "humiliated" using a "pink" one. Most people under 40 will not have had a blue passport. I quite like the burgundy one ( its not pink) but to be honest, I couldn't care less as long as I can find it and I can get through passport checks quickly. I can understand that the passport needs to be redesigned every so often for security reasons and because of Brexit but I can't understand why its costing £500 million to design a new one and I couldn't care less what colour is it.Is anyone getting excited about this?

Ilovecheese Mon 03-Apr-17 20:33:23

I've just read that we could have changed the colour of our passports any time we wanted. We didn't need to have a burgundy one. Croatia has a black one. But nobody cared much about what colour their passport was until now. Suddenly it is imperative that we spend millions on changing the colour.

Ginny42 Mon 03-Apr-17 20:56:58

Apparently it will cost £493m to change the contract for blue passports. shock

rosesarered Mon 03-Apr-17 21:48:38

That presumably is to point up the difference between an EU passport though ( changing colour) as that was the reason we had to change our British passports to the EU ones in the first place.It would be too confusing to have a colour that looked identical.

MaizieD Mon 03-Apr-17 21:57:16

I think it would be very amusing to have the same colour...

What we will never get back is those imposing great dark blue stiff card covered passports. We'll just have little plastic covered ones like now..

durhamjen Mon 03-Apr-17 22:09:59

Which would you rather the money was spent on, changing the colour of the passport, or giving housing benefit to 18-21 year olds? That's a question asked this morning.
Haven't had a passport for over ten years, so I'm not bothered.

MaizieD Mon 03-Apr-17 22:19:40

Changing the passports of course, dj. Can't give it to all those feckless young scroungers who ought to have jobs and not be sponging on the state...

durhamjen Mon 03-Apr-17 22:23:01

Sorry, Maizie, slow tonight, Aren't I? Should have realised.

absent Mon 03-Apr-17 22:26:54

Because of the need for security, there are very few suppliers of the materials for and printing of passports. I think that there are only four colours available for the covers: black, blue, green and red. Whatever colour the UK decides, it will not be unique in the world.

durhamjen Mon 03-Apr-17 22:44:14

You may have more to worry about than the colour of your passports.

inews.co.uk/essentials/news/politics/brexit-stop-flights-uk-months-warns-ryanair-boss/

maddy629 Tue 04-Apr-17 07:10:47

I preferred the old blue one but as long as I have one I don't mind too much. I have a cover for mine and that is blue, so I have the best of both worlds.The thing I complain about is the price of renewing a passport. I know you are entitled to a free one but you have to have been born in or before 1926 to qualify for that.

suzied Tue 04-Apr-17 07:34:14

I read that some Brexiteers were getting their knickers in a twist about it as its about the only tangible thing about Brexit changes they can crow about ( even though most people don't care Ditto: Gibralter)

Welshwife Tue 04-Apr-17 08:22:21

He did explain all this before the vote when he was on the Questiontime Panel. I was never a fan of his but I thought he spoke well that night on several issues. It is all to do with theOpen Skies agreement. He explained at the time that for a while ne was unable to fly from UK to EU And could only operate to and from Dublin. Then the agreement was reached with UK/EU.
British Airways are also facing problems and have been warned they will need to open a Head Office in the EU to operate across country flights. It may also affect their other flights due to flying over EU airspace.
Easyjet have an owner who has duel UK and Cypriot nationality so he says he is looking at opening another base. This will all affect UK jobs - just another fallout from the vote.

Welshwife Tue 04-Apr-17 08:23:01

Dual - not duel!!! IPad thinks it knows best!

NfkDumpling Tue 04-Apr-17 08:50:51

Surely Welshwife* there'll need to be EU airline offices opened in the UK? More jobs for everyone!

NfkDumpling Tue 04-Apr-17 08:52:31

(I'd like a nice classy dark blue passport cover please. With a high class British standard on the front!)

Theoddbird Tue 04-Apr-17 09:37:22

I think it is brilliant to have the dark blue passport back...

quizqueen Tue 04-Apr-17 09:39:11

The blue passport will be a statement that the UK is an independent country again. I'm amazed at the number of grans on here who seem to be happy that their country has been 'ruled' by another for over 40 years. I'm delaying renewing my expired passport until I can get a blue one.

adaunas Tue 04-Apr-17 09:41:45

All I mind about is that they don't spend unnecessary money changing things. A passport is a passport. It does worry me that someone didn't do a good enough job learning colours when he was at primary school.

TwiceAsNice Tue 04-Apr-17 09:46:49

I have had both but don't care what colour it is. I have just applied for a new one and am waiting for it to be sent back. I then thought Inwouldnt have to worry about my passport again for another 10 years. They better not expect me to change it again any sooner

moxeyns Tue 04-Apr-17 09:50:02

The contract for producing passports is up in 2019, so there would be an expense in renewing it anyway. It does seem an appropriate time to look at changing the design. I would like one in EU blue with a black border...

radicalnan Tue 04-Apr-17 09:50:43

Trust a man to think they are pink, they are dark red, probably thought it was an affront to his manhood.

I liked the old ones they seemed more substantial but it doesn't matter to me at all..I wish the photos didn't have to be so harsh, I am surprised anyone is allowed in anywhere with the 'axe murderer' mug shots we have to have.

MaizieD Tue 04-Apr-17 09:52:16

@quizqueen A number of grans on here just aren't gullible enough to believe that their country has been 'ruled' by another unspecified entity for 40 years.

GlamM Tue 04-Apr-17 09:55:42

I checked and I didn't care.. Burgundy..sky blue pink with dots on..just as long as it gets me to the sunshine I'm a happy passport holder. My husband has the ability to tan whilst sitting under a 30 watt light bulb so after a holiday anywhere sunny he always gets extra special attention from the border control...

DotMH1901 Tue 04-Apr-17 09:56:27

Not really bothered about what colour my passport cover is or isn't - what annoys me is having to buy a separate child passport that only lasts 5 years. Just renewing my grandchildrens passports and the two younger ones have a picture of them as babies! How anyone would recognise them now I don't know. If they stick with the 5 years limit then subsequent passports up to 15 should be free or just have a small (under £20) admin fee. Any child under 5 should be allowed to travel on their parents passports.

cupcake1 Tue 04-Apr-17 09:57:15

quizqueen - echo your sentiments completely! wink grin