Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who cares what colour their passport is?

(120 Posts)
suzied Mon 03-Apr-17 12:28:32

I've just heard someone on the radio getting all excited about changing the passport colour "back"to dark blue and who said he felt "humiliated" using a "pink" one. Most people under 40 will not have had a blue passport. I quite like the burgundy one ( its not pink) but to be honest, I couldn't care less as long as I can find it and I can get through passport checks quickly. I can understand that the passport needs to be redesigned every so often for security reasons and because of Brexit but I can't understand why its costing £500 million to design a new one and I couldn't care less what colour is it.Is anyone getting excited about this?

Norah Mon 03-Apr-17 12:34:59

The color of my passport could not matter less.

GrandmaKT Mon 03-Apr-17 13:03:36

I really don't care what colour it is. I hope they aren't planning on making it larger as the old one used to be, the current (burgundy not pink!) ones fit nicely in the pocket.

rosesarered Mon 03-Apr-17 13:08:31

I would like a larger version tbh as we often seem to displace ours( being small and flimsy they get themselves hidden in all sorts of papers.) Not worried at all about the colour but I think the original navy blue ( with gold lettering?) was fine, or green come to that.

rosesarered Mon 03-Apr-17 13:10:38

I doubt that anyone at all is 'getting excited' by it though.

nanaK54 Mon 03-Apr-17 13:12:25

Nope, really couldn't give a fig what colour my passport is!

SueDonim Mon 03-Apr-17 13:42:58

I've seen people getting much exercised by this issue over the last day or two but I've struggled to have an opinion either way! I really don't care what colour it is as long as it does the job.

ginny Mon 03-Apr-17 13:49:27

Don't care what colour it is. Just hope it won't cause long queues going through the ' non EU'. Channels.

Cherrytree59 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:03:17

Well I would quite my passport to be purple

No other reason than it's my favourite colour grin
SueDonim Exercise I'd a good thing. No?smile

grannypiper Mon 03-Apr-17 14:23:58

I dont care about the colour but i am glad to be getting a British passport back

suzied Mon 03-Apr-17 14:30:34

It was always a British passport

TriciaF Mon 03-Apr-17 14:31:29

The aspect that struck me was, how is the passport office going to cope with the replacement of tens of millions of passports. Some of them urgent?
Applications from both the UK and abroad?

Ilovecheese Mon 03-Apr-17 14:34:02

When people talk about wanting something "back" I sometimes think it is not the thing itself that they want back, but their youth. So when say, they want a blue passport back, they really mean they would like to be the age they were when they had a blue passport. (I'm in my sixties and can't remember ever having a blue passport, when did they change?)

HildaW Mon 03-Apr-17 14:37:53

A comedian we saw had a rant about this......quite rightly stating that no amount of fancy colouration of any new passport will get us into the EU citizen line......we'ed have to go in the much bigger 'all the rest line' from now on! sad

MaizieD Mon 03-Apr-17 14:41:17

I couldn't care less what colour it is but will be very sad if it no longer says European Union at the top.

The guy who found the red one humiliating is a very sad person.

HildaW Mon 03-Apr-17 14:45:59

ilovecheese - you are spot on....all this 'I want my country back' was a romantic vision of lost youth. The 1970s were pretty grim for many, 3 day weeks, power cuts and mass unemployment. Thankfully I was too young to realise what a tough time my parents were going through turning a deaf ear to father moaning on about shop stewards and strikes and my Mum apologising for the food she put infront of us . I was a glib teenager only worried about whether I could get away with a mini skirt and then breathing a sigh of relief for The maxi-skirts!
Being part of the EU never made me feel less British, I've even been known to call myself English. It was all about adding to my experiences and embracing other customs and cultures whilst loving the fact that I was a true British Citizen.

Stansgran Mon 03-Apr-17 14:56:12

Firstly Switzerland can join the eu queue at passport control and they are not in the eu . Secondly I kept our leather covers with the old cover emblazoned on the front. They are quite large and mine is dark red,DH's is navy blue. It really helps to distinguish his/ hers and to find them in the heap of stuff in the travel drawer. They also have pockets for various travel cards. I'm also using a cover for my passport to protect it from the threat of handheld card readers which I gather are a growing problem .

Ana Mon 03-Apr-17 14:59:35

Well, I never had an 'old-stye' passport, so I'm certainly not harking back to my long-lost youth!

Ana Mon 03-Apr-17 14:59:57

Old style not old stye! grin

SueDonim Mon 03-Apr-17 15:14:07

Cherrytree59 the exercising seemed to cause a lot of hot air - not good for climate change! grin

GillT57 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:50:34

A lot of fuss and flummery whipped up by the red top tabloids again. There are far more important things to worry about, but the thing passport wise which concerns me is the possibility of being stuck in the 'all the others' queue at airports. I would like to have my passport stamped with REMAINER 48% on the front to get me into the shorter EU citizens line. grin

MargaretX Mon 03-Apr-17 16:01:14

My passport is OK I had enough of the dk blue one. The people who worry about not feeling British need to get out of the UK more!
I live in Germany but feel English everyday, living abroad makes you feel what you were born as. When I was in America I felt European! But to be honest when I'm back in my Lufthansa seat after a stay in the Uk I feel glad to be surrounded by Germans and hear the language again.
I agree the man who felt embarrassed by having a pink passport was really small minded.

Welshwife Mon 03-Apr-17 16:33:54

I think the colour changed in the90s - I have had both colours and now I am used to it quite like the burgundy one. I do not intend to change mine till it expires which is about 9 years!
A sad person who gets so worked up about the colour. When it changed to red you simply waited till a renewal to have the new colour the same as when they went biometric- why should it be different if they change it this time?

HildaW Mon 03-Apr-17 17:01:42

Am with you GillT57.....do not want to give out the impression I'm Anti anything....I have enough trouble getting through security.....see t'other thread!

W11girl Mon 03-Apr-17 17:33:05

HildaW, I think you will find that the "All the Rest" line is much shorter than the EU citizen line at present!