Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stockholm

(18 Posts)
grannypiper Fri 07-Apr-17 18:21:26

Another attack on a European city with at least 5 dead. This is happening too often.

Ana Fri 07-Apr-17 18:44:38

Yes, I saw it on the news earlier. They are calling it a 'terrorist' attack but of course nothing's certain yet.

ninathenana Fri 07-Apr-17 19:12:10

Very sad.

ninathenana Fri 07-Apr-17 19:14:02

Posted to soon.
I wanted to say the sadest part is that this is no longer as shockibg as it once would have been.

TerriBull Fri 07-Apr-17 19:49:14

A terrible echo of London, Berlin and Nice. Driving a truck at pedestrians now seems to be the favoured modus operandi of terrorists. Also going back to the London attack very sad to hear that the young Romanian female tourist who ended up in the Thames died today.

rafichagran Fri 07-Apr-17 19:56:58

Very sad, and condolences to the lady who died today.

Deedaa Fri 07-Apr-17 20:21:11

I was very sorry to hear that this poor soul had died. What a sad end to what should have been such a happy holiday.

grannypiper Sat 08-Apr-17 07:45:08

Ninathenana You are right. It is not a shock anymore. Even as it happens we know its a terrorist attack and who is behind it. We are only 13 weeks into 2017 and we have had countless terrorist attacks across the Europe by daesh, how many more by the end of the year while we wring our hands and light candles ?

Luckygirl Sat 08-Apr-17 07:51:30

What can we do though apart from "wringing our hands and lighting candles"?

I think the intelligence services do a good and dangerous job, judging by the news about the number of potential terrorist threats they have thwarted, but there is no way these religious fanatics will not slip one through now and again.

Christinefrance Sat 08-Apr-17 08:25:12

The truck driver has been charged with a terrorist offence but its still unclear. Sadly there will always be copy cat crimes too. So sad to hear about the Romanian lady, another innocent person killed.
I agree our Intelligence Services are working hard to stop these attacks but its difficult to fight people who are prepared to die for their beliefs.

radicalnan Sat 08-Apr-17 09:42:59

I am not sure we can understand these events at all, only how very tragic they are. It seems that using a truck is just easy and as undetectable as anything can be until the very last moment.

There are wars all over the world, people who have no other means of fighting back will be driven to use these tactics.........so sad.

War is never the answer but we ive in a country that makes a lot of money from selling weapons, so perhas we should be putting the spotlight on our part in the war industry.

Diddy1 Sat 08-Apr-17 12:40:16

A sad day here in Sweden today, a copy of the London tragedy a few weeks ago.
Thinking of the lady who died yesterday after the London attack.

harrigran Sat 08-Apr-17 13:46:44

I was concerned as DD was in Stockholm on business but when I contacted her she said she had decided to return home the evening before. She had been at the store and station where the atrocity had happened. She has been in three countries in the last week and has to travel through Brussels airport each time which in itself is a worry.

Cold Sat 08-Apr-17 14:03:57

DD was in the area of the attack just minutes before

Mapleleaf Sat 08-Apr-17 14:04:14

It is all so sad. I have a friend who lives in Stockholm. She's let me know that she and her family are ok. Her daughter had been going to go into the centre to do some shopping, but changed her mind, thank goodness.

Faye Sat 08-Apr-17 14:06:02

The same thing happened in Melbourne on the 20th January, this year. A man drove a stolen car along the footpath injuring over twenty people and killing six people, including a three month old baby and a ten year old girl.

Now Sweden. sad These terror attacks are something we wouldn't have dreamed about, now it happening all over the world.

Phoebes Sun 09-Apr-17 16:14:24

These are people who won't abide by the rules of civilisation and it is difficult to know how we can possibly do anything about these lone wolf attacks.

MawBroon Sun 09-Apr-17 16:28:43

There may not be a lot we can do about this sort of attack but bollards to stop vehicles driving down pedestrian areas would be a start. And before anybody says this would inconvenience e.g. emergency vehicles, look at the type they have in Cambridge where an electronic key (or something ) lowers the bollard for buses and other bona fide vehicles .
There was an outcry in Birmingham recently at the council's decision to fell some lovely old trees to replace them with anti-terrorist barriers/bollards.
We can't have it both ways.