Gransnet forums

News & politics

School breakfast clubs

(93 Posts)
thatbags Thu 13-Apr-17 17:14:42

Just been reading an article by Jenni Russell about the benefits to entire schools, not just those who attend, of breakfast clubs.

Link here.

Jalima1108 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:15:52

grin and wipe the rim!

Iam64 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:13:49

Shorter working hours would be brilliant. One key thing is that the people I know who are in work, work well over 35 - 38 hours a week. There are so many people looking for proper work, rather than zero hours that surely we could as a country be more creative in the way we approach work. It's tough to work full time with children. I was so fortunate in having flexible hours and a husband who took his share of child care, domestic stuff etc. I couldn't have done my work as a single carer or if I'd been sharing my life with a partner who didn't see family life as our central concern.

Jalima1108 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:25:39

I worked flexible hours in a job share which worked really well as we both had children and could cover for each other if necessary.

Even those in a marriage or partnership may find that some partners have to spend weeks, if not months, working away eg overseas or travelling round the country living away in the week. Mothers as well as fathers.
The SAHP has to often juggle work and bringing up the family, that is why part-time work or job sharing is so flexible.

durhamjen Sun 16-Apr-17 19:37:01

My grandaughter has a mjug saying "I am not a morning person" and she isn't. She used to hate breakfast club where she had to play dodgeball which she also hated. She would be given a slice of bread and jam.
She much prefers coming to my house at 8.00 am. and being able to relax for half an hour by drawing.

durhamjen Sun 16-Apr-17 19:48:08

Sorry, she has a mug, not a mjug, whaever one of those is.

Jalima1108 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:52:29

I bought DD a picture for her bedroom with 'I am not a morning person' on it. grin
She still isn't.

Jalima1108 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:53:21

Getting a banana and yogurt down her before school when she was in her teens was an achievement!

Diddy1 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:56:41

It sounds like a wonderful idea, especially for those children who dont have their parents at home in the morning because of being at work, these children will have a good nutritional breakfast,and work harder at School, what a shame all Schools dont have this.

durhamjen Sun 16-Apr-17 20:01:36

Yes, Jalima, my grandaughter likes fruit and yogurt for breakfast, so if she is late coming round, rather than waking up, she can have half at her house and half at mine.

Jalima1108 Sun 16-Apr-17 20:05:56

I doubt that DD eats breakfast now!

Yorkshiregel Mon 17-Apr-17 09:17:23

I think it says a lot about businesses when people have to send their child to breakfast clubs. Surely they can start a half hour later can't they? Money before people all the time these days.

I still think it is a great idea for those who rely on them though, but I think they shouldn't have to. Children need a good start to the day.

A banana is a better idea than giving them Danish pastries. So fattening! However an egg is even better and only takes 3 minutes to cook. Coupled with a slice of toast and the child would be kept going until lunch.

daphnedill Mon 17-Apr-17 10:34:10

Children who go to well run breakfast clubs have an excellent start to the day.

tanith Mon 17-Apr-17 12:06:15

Hours of work are not always a parents choice Yorkshiregel my daughter gets texted her hours on Sunday evening and often its for an 8am start. So in answer to your question no, some parents have no control over their hours especially when its a zero hour contract set up for you by the Job centre. She would much prefer to be home for her daughter but the Job centre say otherwise I'm afraid.. oh for a perfect World.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 14:46:16

Can you imagine the chaos if teachers etc, did not turn up to their own schools until half an hour later because they were dropping their own children off at a different school, patients waiting in surgeries, hospitals, businesses on hold etc.

daphnedill Mon 17-Apr-17 15:43:12

Well, it would certainly do away with the need for breakfast and after school clubs, as a high percentage of the users' parents are teachers and nurses. So who covers for the nurses and teachers?

tanith Mon 17-Apr-17 16:20:32

I hadn't even thought what starting 'half an hour' later would mean for teachers and nurses!

daphnedill Mon 17-Apr-17 16:31:43

You're forgiven. It's easy to forget teachers and nurses have families too. Non-pupil days are a pain in the posterior for teachers, especially if the teacher is married to a teacher, who can't take holiday in term-time and if they have more than one child, attending different schools. I used to book nannies well in advance, which cost a fortune, while I sat/slept through some "training" (aka some member of the senior leadership droning on about something I already knew).