Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Harry speaks out.

(280 Posts)
Iam64 Mon 17-Apr-17 19:30:06

Harry has been courageous to speak as he has. He and his brother had a difficult time in the middle set of an acrimonious divorce, played out publicly. To then lose their mother in such tragic circumstances which led to all manner of conspiracy theories must have been grim. Harry of course, had the added pressure of gossip about his paternity.
He's done great work with Help for Heroes and the Invictcus choir. Of course proper therapeutic services need to be provided and Harry speaking out like this highlights the lack and also the increasing cuts to mental health services.

Anniebach Mon 17-Apr-17 18:42:26

to describe the windsors as buttoned up is unfair, apart from Diana who had to inflict every emotion on the country they like many the age of the windsors do not choose to express their grief to the public

We can but hope money will be put into mental health services because not everyone can afford a councillor and the waiting list on the NHS is so very, very long

Chewbacca Mon 17-Apr-17 17:57:46

I read that too Nellie and thought the same. He's obviously taken a long time trying to come to terms with his mother's death and in speaking out about it now, I think it was a courageous thing to do. He was very honest when he said that he'd been encouraged, by William, to seek help with a counsellor and that he knew he just needed to talk. I hope it encourages others who are struggling.

nigglynellie Mon 17-Apr-17 17:51:06

I absolutely agree Nelliemoser. To lose your mother at that age particularly in the full glare of the whole world must have been very very tough. I think is work with Help for Hero's has probably helped him, but even so facing demons and conquering them is no mean fete. I for one wish him well, and hope he can/has? find personal happiness that lasts for the rest of his life.

Nelliemoser Mon 17-Apr-17 17:43:29

I hope this is the only thread.
All I can say is this young man has at last impressed me. For any one with a macho image to admit that they have mental health problems has taken a big step. Given his royal status and the Windsors previously "buttoned up" attitudes this is a good step forward.
Maybe his work with ? "Help for Heros" has helped him to acknowledge his issues. Losing your mum at 12 must have been devastating." It is particularly good coming from a man as in general men are not good at talking about such things.
Whatever our opinions of the monarch he deserves some credit for talking about this.