Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Harry speaks out.

(281 Posts)
Nelliemoser Mon 17-Apr-17 17:43:29

I hope this is the only thread.
All I can say is this young man has at last impressed me. For any one with a macho image to admit that they have mental health problems has taken a big step. Given his royal status and the Windsors previously "buttoned up" attitudes this is a good step forward.
Maybe his work with ? "Help for Heros" has helped him to acknowledge his issues. Losing your mum at 12 must have been devastating." It is particularly good coming from a man as in general men are not good at talking about such things.
Whatever our opinions of the monarch he deserves some credit for talking about this.

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 18:41:50

I was treated for an eating disorder in 1971 and 1977, both times in psychiatric units, first time was caused by severe post natal depression, second time caused by grief , it was rarely spoken of then,

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Apr-17 18:31:44

Penstemmon
I was not suggesting that Philip should have made public any personal issues but am suggesting he could(&maybe he did privately) have been a public role model re mental health. hmm
He's 95, he comes from that era where it would have been seen as a sign of weakness to 'give in' and a cause of much embarrassment to talk about his mother's problems in public.
I think you are looking at it from a 21st century point of view Pen; attitudes have changed so much since those days.

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 18:12:55

Because I do not think any poster should try to tell other posters how to post

norose4 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:34:10

What erks you so much, that you need to constantly give negative pointless comments to other posters comments i.e. Your last post Annibach?

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 15:52:10

A new I'm in charge badge wearer

grannylyn65 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:44:50

Oh behave, is Gransnet not Toddlers net !!

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 15:33:48

So you are judging the man on your feelings nothing more.

Penstemmon Wed 26-Apr-17 13:26:32

In answer to 'why should he be a role model etc' I would say why not?
Public & royal figures can & do influence public opinion. I understand the era of repressed feeling/emotions was Philip's era and agree that we may have tipped the opposite way with public grief. However Philip is the patron of several charities and of course the excellent DoE Award scheme: but that is all about duty and stoicism too. None appear to be linked to orphans/ mental health etc. He feels that he is of the type to say'It did me no harm, get on with it'

I would say he behaved as any half decent grandfather would do if his grandsons' lost a parent: occupy them and keep them busy and show you care. That is nothing special..it should be normal!

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 12:35:53

Thank you merlotgran

merlotgran Wed 26-Apr-17 12:33:06

That's OK Annie In future I'll try harder to interpret your posts.

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 12:23:09

Then to ask where they sent to stay was a pointless question Merlotgran,

Away from balmoral means away from the building , I did not say away from the Balmoral estate

merlotgran Wed 26-Apr-17 11:56:23

So he didn't take them away from Balmoral at all, Anniebach. He took them walking etc., etc., on the ESTATE where they would be safe from prying eyes.

And please don't lecture me about living in a rural area. I live in the middle of 1000 acres. Remote enough for you?

Sometimes your vast knowledge of the lives of the Royal family borders on fantasy.

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 11:11:55

Merlotgran, if you live in a rural area going into the countryside means walking fields, climbing mountains and hills, it doesn't mean booking a holiday out of the town/city .

So Phillip took the boys into the hills,OK?

merlotgran Wed 26-Apr-17 10:54:20

It was widely reported Phillip took his two grandsons away from Balmoral the week Diana died

Really?

As far as I remember it was widely reported they pulled up the drawbridge at Balmoral where they could keep the boys away from media attention. They only emerged to look at the floral tributes in the gateway prior to their return to London.

How on earth could Philip have spirited the boys away to the countryside (where did they stay?) without anyone noticing?

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 10:46:11

Why should he be a public role model re mental health ?

Penstemmon Wed 26-Apr-17 10:07:04

annie I was not suggesting that Philip should have made public any personal issues but am suggesting he could(&maybe he did privately) have been a public role model re mental health.

Anniebach Mon 24-Apr-17 23:18:00

It was widely reported Phillip took his two grandsons away from Balmoral the week Diana died and the country was in uproar, he took them into the countryside to get away from all the circus that was going on, the same grandsons have said how reliable he is for advice and help when they need it

Jalima1108 Mon 24-Apr-17 23:07:52

Stoicism is a word not much heard these days.

Anniebach Mon 24-Apr-17 23:06:05

The man was born in 1922, without parents by 1931, was Harrys age in 1954 , he had been prince consort for three years , the royals didn't do huggy, kissy, listen to my woes, the public didn't expect it untill Diana chose to inflict it on the world.

Jalima1108 Mon 24-Apr-17 22:52:21

Wealth does not protect him from mental illness but it can buy treatment.
I agree Penstemmon, however, I doubt that Philip ever sought treatment or thought he needed any. We don't know how much or how little his extended family supported him either.
In fact his attitude is probably no different to many of his age group who went through so much. It was not considered the done thing to weep, wail or give in to emotions and was probably seen as a sign of weakness.

Anniebach Mon 24-Apr-17 22:46:19

You are judging him on public appearances only, queenie is no different , he had an extended family but no parents when only nine . Why should people be expected to pour out their feelings to the public ? If they do their choice, if they do not their choice

Penstemmon Mon 24-Apr-17 22:33:45

Whilst I understand that Philip's family were ousted from Greece when he was a baby & that his mother was very iĺl he was fortunate to have extended family and family wealth to support him. Wealth does not protect him from mental illness but it can buy treatment. . However,as a 'refugee' and a child with a 'troubled'early life he demonstrates little empathy, publicly, to people in similar situations. He in fact comes over as a no nonsense/stiff upper lip/cold. This may be his reaction to his experience but others, with similar experiences, react with increaed empathy/care and "social consience'

Jalima1108 Mon 24-Apr-17 19:41:43

That's confusing isn't it, using the same name; George VI (Bertie) was the one who was shy with a stammer but I thought the Queen Mother could handle him very well.

George, Duke of Kent, who died in a plane crash, was his younger brother. As he wasn't likely to become King I'm not sure why his death 6 years after the abdication would be anything other than an accident.

Iam64 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:50:45

I heard a news item today about children's charities asking the political parties to spell out how they will finance and support mental health services for children. Won't it be good if they do and isn't it more likely the parties will be pushed on this issue because of its profile being raised by the support from William, Harry and Kate.

Anniebach Mon 24-Apr-17 13:23:16

Not an expert Riverwalk, never claimed to be.

George was shy, had a stammer yes, but was also given to violent rages,

Henry , read what has been written by legitimate historians plus a problem with whisky

George, philander, bi sexual, drugs and alcohol, it has always been rumoured his death in a plane crash in Scotland was arranged ! I have no idea if this is true but given his lifestyle he must have caused panic among the powers that be who were still recovering from the abdication so perhaps