Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tony Blair facing prosecution over the Iraq war

(29 Posts)
Chewbacca Mon 17-Apr-17 18:32:30

News today states that General Abdul-Wahid Shannan ar-Ribat wants to prosecute the former Labour prime minister for the crime of "aggression". He also wants to bring the prosecution against former Foreign Secretary Jack Straw and ex-Attorney General Lord Goldsmith. However, the attorney general hopes to block the private prosecution against them. Reports that an application made to Westminster magistrates court last year to summon Mr Blair was refused by district judge Michael Snow. It said that, as the former head of the government, and as government ministers, the trio had "implied immunity", and that the allegations could "involve details being disclosed under the Official Secrets Act".

My personal feeling is that TB should be held accountable. The damage that he caused is having ramifications that continue to echo around the world to this day. Do you agree? Or do you feel that the Chilcott Enquiry in 2016 put the matter to bed once and for all.

Luckygirl Mon 17-Apr-17 18:38:30

TB should be held accountable for his actions - not sure this is the right way to go about it though.

Fitzy54 Mon 17-Apr-17 18:38:54

I think the war was the one huge blot on his administration and I don't believe he could have ever truly believed Iraq had any meaningful WMD capacity, but no way would I support the idea of a prosecution.

Anniebach Mon 17-Apr-17 18:48:16

Definitely not, there could never be a fair trial because Blair couldn't divulge what the secret services both here and in America said or Bush , could he call
Bush as a witness or those in the secret services at that time ?

trisher Mon 17-Apr-17 19:08:04

Of course TB should be brought to trial and held accountable. If there was some serious threat to national security (and it was 14years ago so any information would probably be out of date) it would be possible to take testimony in camera. It was an illegal war and a prosecution would send a message to those who consider the West corrupt that we are willing to apply the law to every one and to every situation.

Chewbacca Mon 17-Apr-17 19:22:06

My feelings to Trisher. It will be interesting to see what machinations are brought in to try and avoid this action.

Craicon Mon 17-Apr-17 19:29:26

In what way was it 'illegal'?

Anniebach Mon 17-Apr-17 19:54:00

I note the thread title states he is facing prosecution, premature? Wishful thinking?

Teetime Mon 17-Apr-17 19:56:39

Oh blimey not this again.

Chewbacca Mon 17-Apr-17 20:17:30

Possibly premature Annie but it would appear that legal papers have already been drawn up. The attempt is being resisted by District Judge Michael Snow and QC Jeremy Wright. My OP clearly said that I, personally, would like to see TB face an independent court hearing that may well be wishful thinking . I asked what opinions others had about the possibility of TB facing prosecution. That's all.

trisher Mon 17-Apr-17 20:20:48

Craicon It was an illegal war because it was entered into without a UN decision ( Kofi Annan declared it an illegal war at the time)
The Chilcot report concluded that Britain rushed to join the conflict before all other bloodless alternatives had been exhausted.
Tony Blair limited the information given to cabinet and had previously told Bush that we would support him whatever.

Anniebach Mon 17-Apr-17 20:22:42

Surely every one is entitled to a fair trial ? In this case it would not be possible

Chewbacca Mon 17-Apr-17 20:50:20

Why so Annie? To be fair, it's already being challenged on the grounds that there is no such crime as "aggression " in UK law and so a case may well be a non starter. But it was agreed, in the Chilcott enquiry, that the Iraq war was illegal and Imran Khan (one of the prosecution lawyers) has said that those responsible should be brought to court. Why do you feel that any court hearing would not be fair one, especially if it was heard in the UK?

Anniebach Mon 17-Apr-17 20:56:27

Was it declared ilegal and by whom?

Chewbacca Mon 17-Apr-17 21:04:51

I believe your question was answered by Trisher @ 20.20. Kofi Annan, UN secretary general. 2004.

Anniebach Mon 17-Apr-17 21:25:11

But was thst a verdict or his opinion?

trisher Mon 17-Apr-17 22:05:43

John Prescott also declared his belief that the war was illegal, although he had voted for it. He gave the lack of information supplied to cabinet as his reason.

Fitzy54 Mon 17-Apr-17 22:15:26

Kofi Annan has given his opinion, but that doesn't make it an illegal war. That would require a court decision. If anything ever gets off the ground, which I doubt it will, I would foresee years of litigation. Thee would be a whole host of hurdles to overcome before TB could be found guilty. It will never happen.

Chewbacca Mon 17-Apr-17 22:16:00

Why don't you read up on it Annie , there's loads of data out there. My opinion was asking only for opinions on whether TB should face prosecution and I'm gathering, from your posts, that you do not. That's fine, no bother at all, thanks for responding.

Welshwife Mon 17-Apr-17 22:27:28

When people are in positions of power they do have to take decisions some of which will be controversial and some will be deemed wrong. At the time of the war the Iraqi people were happy to have an invasion to depose Saddam. Countries have gone to war in foreign lands for centuries and looking back maybe a better solution could have been found. Hindsight is a great thing - there is nothing really to be gained by holding a trial even if it were legal and possible and not all the ones at fault could be brought to book. Deciding to go to war can never be an easy decision and we can but hope that the people in power do make the best decision with the facts as they believe them to be. It would put a lot of money in lawyers pockets if there was a trial.
What would the punishment be if he were found guilty?

Anniebach Mon 17-Apr-17 22:43:40

John Prescott and Kofi Annan have given their opinions, for me even though I was against the war I cannot help but think what it was like to be a president or PM following the twin towers , so easy to sit in the comfort of the home and judge

Eloethan Mon 17-Apr-17 22:58:24

It's a funny old world isn't it. Mentally ill people are sent to prison for petty crimes, often committed because they are addicted to drugs. And yet someone who misleads parliament and leads the country into a war that has caused mayhem and tragedy throughout the world is said to have "implied immunity".

What exactly had the "twin towers" to do with the invasion of Iraq (or Afghanistan)? Almost all the perpetrators were from Saudi Arabia.

It is not about hindsight. At the time, many expert voices were advising that attacking Iraq was not only unjustified and illogical but that it would cause even greater conflict within and between nations.

Chewbacca Mon 17-Apr-17 23:25:26

And so it has Eloethan, so it has.

daphnedill Tue 18-Apr-17 00:33:26

I wonder who's funding this.

General Abdul-Wahid Shannan ar-Ribat was Saddam Hussein's Chief of Staff at the time of chemical attacks by the Iraqi government and has allegedly been linked to Iraqi rebels currently fighting the Iraqi government. He's in exile in the UAR.

This latest move is actually an appeal against a decision to dismiss his case last year.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I'm suspicious.

absent Tue 18-Apr-17 00:56:46

At least one aspect of illegality is that the invasion was with the specific purpose of regime change, although this was denied at the time. Iraq was no threat to any of the so-called coalition of the willing and was, at that time, the most closely overlooked country in the world. It was Bush and Blair who withdrew the weapons inspectors; it was not at the behest of Sadaam Hussein, although his degree of co-operation with them was fairly lukewarm. There were no grounds for believing that there were still WMDs present in the country and all "evidence" produced was completely spurious. Remember the dodgy dossiers, one of which was plagiarised by Alistair Campbell from outdated research that had previously been published on the internet. Does anyone else remember Colin Powell being made a complete fool when he demonstrated the mobile chemical weapons factory – something rather more like an ice cream van? Robin Cook, who had been Foreign Minister, seems to have been the only member of the government with a conscience.

The Chilcott Enquiry was pretty much an expensive whitewash. The UK and USA are both members of United Nations and no-one should be above the law.