Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn a man of principle ?

(40 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 25-Apr-17 18:55:59

I cannot agree that he is a man of principle , would like to hear from those who believe he is

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 18:58:13

What do you mean by principle

Anniebach Tue 25-Apr-17 19:08:12

I am repeating what several posters have said, he is a man of principle , I would like to hear what these principles are and what can be dismissed with excuses

Cherrytree59 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:32:15

The man is not unique
Everybody has their own set of principles.

Anniebach Tue 25-Apr-17 20:54:47

Yes they do, I asked because several had said he is a man of principle and I was interested what these principles which are admire are

Beammeupscottie Tue 25-Apr-17 21:40:29

He believes stubbornness is strength when it is a weakness.

You want the good news or the bad news Annie.

The good news is that he has little chance of winning this election.

The bad news is that he nay not resign - staying put until the Party Conference when he hopes the Unions will keep him in place!

norose4 Tue 25-Apr-17 22:45:45

Dictionary definition of the word Principle--a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behaviour... so I suppose he is ... but is that a good thing???

norose4 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:01:32

As in principles can be admirable , but not practicable or do -able or sustainable or workable etc

Anniebach Tue 25-Apr-17 23:04:14

Beam, interesting, I don't think stubbornness equals principles but this could be what some admire .

Chewbacca Tue 25-Apr-17 23:04:14

Does pig headedness count as a principle? If so, he has that in spades.

Anniebach Tue 25-Apr-17 23:10:11

norose, it his system of beliefs that I find questionable

norose4 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:12:06

Yes I agree very worrying

daphnedill Tue 25-Apr-17 23:12:47

I don't think the language of ethics (blame, loyal, traitor, principle) has a major part to play in the relationship of politicians to their "party". Politicians should be elected to do a job and should get on with it. It's democracy's role to hold them to account via the Law and the ballot box.

Political parties elect the person whom they feel can best represent them in Parliament.

Those are the rules of the game.

daphnedill Tue 25-Apr-17 23:15:35

The majority of Labour Party members obviously don't share your concern about his beliefs. If you don't like them (or his hat) vote for somebody from another party or get together enough people together to vote for somebody else to represent you.

norose4 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:16:14

I know all politicians wriggle around questions, Corbyns principles may be honourable (?) but not much good when having to make serious high stake decisions

Anniebach Tue 25-Apr-17 23:19:54

Daphne, no idea what your post has to do with the question , no one has asked who they should vote for, think you have posted on the wrong thread,

daphnedill Tue 25-Apr-17 23:21:17

No, I haven't. Sorry you don't understand, but I'm not wasting my time on repeating it.

POGS Tue 25-Apr-17 23:21:50

"Political parties elect the person whom they feel can best represent them in Parliament."

Very true and then their supposed loyal supporters go and vote tactically for another party because they have no faith their parties 'elected person' can win a constituency .

Giving their party the chance to govern is worth less than keeping another party out.

Mad world.

Anniebach Tue 25-Apr-17 23:22:53

norose, you mean - we know he is allegedly a pacifist but stating he does know if he would sign those very important orders all new PM''s sign?

norose4 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:24:57

Sorry Annibach I don't quite understand your last post

norose4 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:26:49

Well put Pogs

daphnedill Tue 25-Apr-17 23:33:04

You're being incredibly naive POGS and probably enjoying stirring your wooden spoon. Many people don't vote tribally. No Party's views are 100% in tune with voters (unless the voters are sheep). People's views and priorities change and if it's a genuine choice for some between two parties, the suggestion is that it is better to concentrate opposition by voting for one candidate rather than splitting the vote.

What's all this about "loyal supporters"? Political parties are not a football team or a religion. They represent a set of ideas.

norose4 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:48:23

Is that your own definition of 'loyal' Daphendill? don't think we need to be word policed on dear old Gransnet

POGS Tue 25-Apr-17 23:49:07

daphnedil

No wooden spoon.

Stop making comments, statements if you only want everybody to agree with you.

"What's all this about "loyal supporters"? Political parties are not a football team or a religion. They represent a set of ideas."

What a stupid comment , you are saying there is no such thing as a 'loyal supporter'. I thought you have been telling everybody and his dog how you loyally vote Lib Dem. Read what you post.

norose4 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:51:13

Gramatically you may be correct, but not very mannerly to be so pedantic