Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Green Party

(159 Posts)
Teetime Wed 26-Apr-17 16:50:07

I have voted Labour all my adult life but feel I cannot support Mr Corbyn so I wont be voting Labour. I will not vote Conservative and am then left in a quandary. I am seriously considering voting for the Green Party their ideals seem to match with mind other than over Brexit as I am a 'Leave' but that is not as they say a deal breaker for me.
Anyone like to say anything for or against the Greens to help me make up my mind. All comments welcome (silly or malicious ones will be not be responded to). Thank you.

harrigran Thu 18-May-17 18:00:38

Well, well our esteemed Green party candidate had a visit from the law enforcement officer this morning at 6.30 and resulted in having his car clamped on the drive.

harrigran Mon 15-May-17 09:29:29

He called a taxi.
The car he drives is definitely not green, it is an old two seater. This man is the least green person in the street, he never puts his recycling bin out and the general rubbish about once or twice a year, I dread to think what he is doing with his waste.

rosesarered Sun 14-May-17 22:28:03

Well, as a Green, he should have walked.grin

harrigran Sun 14-May-17 20:57:55

Friday night, he came in from work and left the car lights on, at bedtime the lights were still on. Saturday morning he had a meeting in the town centre and the car wouldn't start, battery was completely flat. Lots of us could see the car but none of us went and told him he had left the lights on, purpose served as he couldn't drive.

rosesarered Sun 14-May-17 17:30:17

harrigran.... tip off the local newspaper! They would be very interested.

durhamjen Sun 14-May-17 14:33:55

The Green Party supports the idea of universal basic income.

www.indy100.com/article/effect-of-universal-income-finland-trial-reduce-stress-7733891

harrigran Sun 14-May-17 11:02:36

They are aware of the circumstances but while it is parked on his drive they can't do anything. The thing is this man goes to work every day in the car and has to use a very main A road, why do the cameras not clock him ? I gave him the benefit of the doubt thinking the website may not be up to date so put in our registration and it came back with the exact date re-taxed.

rosesarered Sun 14-May-17 10:28:00

How annoying for you all there harrigran with stolen cars.
Perhaps you should report to police this Green candidate who drives around in a untaxed and unMOT'd car, proabably not insured either and the car in a bad state of repair, an accident waiting to happen!
Not a great advert for his party, is he?

harrigran Sun 14-May-17 10:17:28

I don't live on a sink estate, it is a private estate on the edge of the countryside. That is why I think the cars get dumped here, nobody can connect the car to them. They must be very stupid because they park beneath our CCTV cameras.

durhamjen Sun 14-May-17 09:30:11

Pleased I don't live near you!

harrigran Sun 14-May-17 08:20:41

DVLA has lists available to anyone who cares to look, you just type in the registration and it gives the date it was last taxed.
We have used this facility to get cars removed off the street because criminals dump cars on our estate. Criminals have pool cars that are not taxed and insured, they are used by multiple groups until stopped by police. The price of a car is often less than the insurance so they just move on to another banger.
The person I was talking about had been driving round in a decrepit car with the emergency spare wheel on for months and it was fairly obvious it would not pass an MOT.

durhamjen Sun 14-May-17 00:18:34

How do you know his car is not taxed and has no MOT?

harrigran Sat 13-May-17 23:22:32

The green party candidate for our area lives opposite me. He is certainly green, he has done nothing to his house in 15 years and the garden is overgrown and ivy is actually growing into the house through the window frame. We have contacted the authorities to try and shame him into tidying the place up but nothing works. His car is not taxed and has no MOT. Would I listen to anything he had to say ? I think not.

durhamjen Sat 13-May-17 23:12:31

www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2017/05/13/green-party-pledges-to-end-immigration-detention-at-womens-manifesto-launch-at-yarls-wood/

paddyann Sat 13-May-17 22:44:49

Patrick Harvie of the Greens is well respected here in Scotland and he hopes to gain a seat in WM in June ,I'd much rather he got a seat than any labour or Tory branch member .They have NO interest in Scotland and always put the WM party first .

durhamjen Sat 13-May-17 14:58:07

The Green party are definitely trying to protect the NHS.

twitter.com/TheGreenParty/status/861860795147223041/photo/1

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 14:33:08

It's also one of the few midland seats where Ukip are putting up a candidate.
I hope they stick to that, rather than handing their votes to the Tories.

Ana Fri 12-May-17 14:31:14

Still got a soft spot for them, obviously.

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 14:28:06

labourlist.org/2017/05/greens-back-corbynista-ex-mp-as-he-aims-to-overturn-tory-majority-of-just-41/

Well done the Green Party again.
Fingers crossed that it's worth it.

durhamjen Sun 07-May-17 16:33:13

Well done, the Green Party.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/green-party-stands-aside-oxford-west-abingdon-richmond-park-twickenham-marginal-seats-liberal-a7722236.html

Jalima1108 Sat 06-May-17 23:11:36

166 councillors now

durhamjen Sat 06-May-17 22:59:01

I don't think you join the Green Party if you have political ambitions. You join for your ethical stance.

varian Sat 06-May-17 22:42:11

Caroline Lucas seems to want to co-operate with other anti-tory parties but unfortunately this message has not got through to all of her party members. In our county cohncil elections the local Green party did not even attempt to challenge the Tories, instead they targetted sitting LibDem councillors and managed to displace two of them, resulting in an even bigger Tory majority. The Green party activists in this area are arrogant and egotistical and do not appear to care as much about the local people as they do about their own political ambitions.

MaizieD Fri 05-May-17 23:06:12

But checking up on social media to see if you are a member of a party but may have voted for another candidate in the past sounds quite sinister.

Blimey, Jalima. Have you not read about Cambridge Analytics and their role in the US election? Sinister is the very least of it...

If it weren't late at night I'd search for the article I read in November last year to post a link.

MaizieD Fri 05-May-17 23:03:12

They checked what people had written on social media, and if there was any hint of voting for any other party, they assumed they were members. Lots of people complained, as they might have voted green or libdem ten years ago and were banned from voting in the election of party NEC.

I was brought up to regard my vote as being secret (as in, secret ballot). Although I might tell close friends/family members how I vote/voted I would never tell anyone else and especially not on social media. Who would have thought that those people dj mentioned's casual disclosures would come back to bite them...

Now that we all know about Cambridge Analytics it would seem wise to be doubly cautious..