Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit - the end of the beginning - the negotiations begin

(309 Posts)
JessM Sat 29-Apr-17 13:57:34

The 27 nations agreed on these principles. It took them a minute to do so.
Lots of food for thought. And not much scope for tub thumping tough negotiating rhetoric is there?
Lots to chew over here but not much wriggle room for UK.

www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2017/04/29-euco-brexit-guidelines/

durhamjen Thu 04-May-17 09:01:08

Standard Chartered moving to Frankfurt.

durhamjen Thu 04-May-17 08:56:08

www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-03/u-k-may-have-to-accept-eu-free-movement-for-years-report-says

JessM Thu 04-May-17 07:19:05

May does not have to take us out of the Customs Union. Turkey is in the Customs Union. Jersey is not a member of the EU but it is in the Customs Union. Insisting on doing this is like climbing into a coffin and paying someone to nail you in and bury you.

petra Thu 04-May-17 06:41:51

I see that the Belgium finance minister thinks the eu is dead in its present form as it " spends more time debating the size of olive pots than securing its borders"
Says it all !!

durhamjen Wed 03-May-17 23:41:48

"The Sun’s suspended columnist and former editor, Kelvin MacKenzie, could be reported to the police for inciting hatred and violence towards Jeremy Corbyn, Labour sources have said, after he joked about the party leader being “knifed to death”.

In a recent interview with the New York Times, MacKenzie reportedly said: “I think the fake news headline that would give this country the most joy would be: ‘Jeremy Corbyn knifed to death by an asylum seeker’.”

The New York Times correspondent behind the interview, Katrin Bennhold, reveals in the article that MacKenzie sent her a text message urging her to tone down the quote."

Fitzy54 Wed 03-May-17 23:36:54

I don't see him getting any new votes by effectively saying nothing at all. And no, I'm not saying TM is any better. But no worse as far as I can see.
I never listen to anything McKenzie says.

durhamjen Wed 03-May-17 23:03:04

His job at the moment is to electioneer, to make sure he gets back into parliament, isn't it? Why would he want to be helpful to May?

Theresa May's attitude is better, is it, being snide and sneery about the EU?

I presume you've heard what Kelvin McKenzie said today?

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/03/kelvin-mackenzie-sun-corbyn-knifed-tories

Fitzy54 Wed 03-May-17 22:59:37

Just heard the Irish foreign minister and an EU official on Newsnight. Sounded a lot more reasonable than the stuff Juncker and co have been broadcasting. We just need to follow the EU process despite the stitch up but make it clear that anything we agree is not fully agreed until everything (including on trade) is agreed. That's their rule in any event.

Fitzy54 Wed 03-May-17 22:54:26

DJ Kinnock doesn't have to say anything at all but if he wants to be in any way helpful as opposed to simply engage in meaningless electioneering he needs to do more than simply say something along the lines of "we'll be nice to the EU and sort it all out."

rosesarered Wed 03-May-17 22:41:56

......or was it??

durhamjen Wed 03-May-17 22:41:12

Kinnock doesn't have to say what he would do. But May needs to negotiate, not chastise the other party in the negotiations, Fitzy.
She hasn't done herself or us any favours today. I bet she goes into hiding again tomorrow, too.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/03/the-force-may-be-with-you-in-a-strong-and-stable-war-on-brussels

durhamjen Wed 03-May-17 22:32:41

Serves Theresa May right for calling an election in the middle of Brexit negotiations.

Not very sensible or strategic.

Fitzy54 Wed 03-May-17 21:58:15

Mazie, apologies. I was posting both yourself and DJ but didn't make myself clear.

rosesarered Wed 03-May-17 21:39:15

I agree Petra

rosesarered Wed 03-May-17 21:38:30

Well, now that T May has given the EU politicians and officials a broadside ( anybody think they probably deserved it ?)we shall await Brussels' side of the story ( amazed wink hurt?)

petra Wed 03-May-17 21:36:45

I think this heavy handed inflexible attitude from the eu is more a warning sign to the French. Although most are of the opinion that Macron will win, you never know. Trump & Brexit being an example of experts being wrong.

MaizieD Wed 03-May-17 21:32:23

I didn't post Kinnock's article, Fitzy

POGS Wed 03-May-17 21:31:22

Thank you for replying Fitzy.

Fitzy54 Wed 03-May-17 21:11:35

POGS I read your post and think I gave a reply but basically I agree. I can't really understand how KSs proposal works unless he intends to accept free movement.

nigglynellie Wed 03-May-17 21:08:15

D.C said the result would be respected and when the H of C voted they agreed including Labour! No doubt they thought it was in the bag! What's the point in having a referendum with all the baggage that goes with it, if the result is pre decided?! Surely it's completely pointless and deceitful. Like Henry Ford, 'you can choose the colour of your car so long as it's black'! Not much point asking!!! Why would anyone bother to vote if they know the result is pre decided? But then of course, they're not told that till afterwards! Mind you , you'd never bother to vote again!!including General Elections! Whose to say they wouldn't be overturned if they turn up the 'wrong' result!

durhamjen Wed 03-May-17 20:40:01

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-03/jpmorgan-to-move-hundreds-of-staff-to-three-eu-offices-on-brexit

Fitzy54 Wed 03-May-17 20:34:52

Ok Mazie. But what should TM do now? Kinnock's article had nothing concrete in it at all.

MaizieD Wed 03-May-17 19:58:13

a vote in the H of C (Labour voted with the government) stated quite clearly that the result of the referendum would be implemented,

So all the MPs ignored the briefing paper they were given which said that the referendum was advisory? I don't recall that at the time (though someone might search Hansard to tell me differently). The bill they voted on said nothing about the result being binding.

It was Cameron's idiotic bright idea to announce that the result would be respected by his government.

durhamjen Wed 03-May-17 19:56:24

Excellent article here by Stephen Kinnock. He knows more than most about the EU.

labourlist.org/2017/05/stephen-kinnock-tory-brexit-failings-shows-theyre-the-coalition-of-chaos/

POGS Wed 03-May-17 19:56:00

Fitzy 18.04

"KS has put forward Labours idea but didn't refer to free movement at all."

Um , hello, have you read my post yesterday 23.39 and others?

"Keir Starmer / Labour state:-

Free Movement of People 'HAS TO END'

Free Movement of People 'RULED OUT AS IT IS'.

Freedom of Movement will have to have 'NEW IMMIGRATION RULES'

How can we 'CHERRY PICK' as Labour believes we can , well not only them but many posters too it seems."

I have asked a question re Starmer Speech / Labours position on Free Movement/Union Customs on two threads, might try on others but it is a question that nobody will answer so I can only assume that there is an understanding Starmer/Labour have a totally ridiculous stance on Free Movement as it cannot be done without agreeing to the EU 4 Pillars.

Starmer / Labour quite rightly have been ridiculed for his speech making little sense.