Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Philip retires

(48 Posts)
trisher Fri 05-May-17 10:43:00

Well can't say I care about any of the royals but I will miss his acerbic and sometimes inappropriate comments. I do like the fact that he never limited his targets even family were fair game. One of my favourites
On the Duke of York’s house, 1986: “It looks like a tart’s bedroom.”

You can find more
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-philip-quotes-gaffes-public-133848?service=responsive

ginny Fri 05-May-17 12:18:15

It does irritate me though that he gets away with it and is thought a 'jolly funny ' chap. Others would be sacked and castigated.

Hate to think what some on here would say if one of his embarks were aimed at them !

ginny Fri 05-May-17 12:18:46

Remarks !

ginny Fri 05-May-17 12:19:43

Remarks ! Where is that edit button ?

merlotgran Fri 05-May-17 12:23:21

No 12 on the list reminds me of a visit he made to the East of England Show in the early eighties. DD2 was about 6 and I was just taking her to the loo in the members enclosure when a security man jumped in front of me as PP was coming out of the gents. He was about to leave and en route to the helicopter. At that moment, the steel band struck up, 'So Long, Farewell,' from The Sound of Music.

It was very loud but I still managed to hear PP mutter to his aide, 'We need to get a move on if we're going to escape this infernal racket!' grin

Christinefrance Fri 05-May-17 13:02:15

Oh no merlotgran I love The Sound of Music, (sad I know )
I wish the D of E well in his retirement, he must be glad to get out of the public eye.

maryhoffman37 Sat 06-May-17 09:26:33

He is no national treasure to me. I think to use his position of privilege to make racist remarks to people who can't hit back is shameful. Glad to see the back of him frankly.

radicalnan Sat 06-May-17 09:29:30

About time they all retired.

Blinko Sat 06-May-17 09:40:07

I think his inappropriate humour will be missed. Imo he's a breath of fresh air and you could almost say 'normal'.... grin

trisher Sat 06-May-17 09:41:48

Thanks for that one merlotgran

I think the thing about him is that he isn't racist, or sexist maryhoffman37 he is everything-ist and targets all including his own family.

I suppose he reminds me of my grandfather. He was very acerbic and once told my aunt, who was very proud of her new outfit of a sunshine yellow suit and a white hat, that she "looked like a bloody daffodil with snow on top".

farview Sat 06-May-17 09:50:46

'ditto' radicalnan!!

Jaycee5 Sat 06-May-17 09:52:43

I am not a monarchist but after watching a documentary about his mother, Princess Alice, and his childhood, I think that he can be forgiven most things. Very few would come through that unscathed.

I have mixed feelings about him. Many of the things were inexcusable but his Award Scheme did genuine good for young people and I prefer people with a personality, even if they are acerbic. I quite like eccentricity.

adaunas Sat 06-May-17 10:29:12

I think of them as a great tourist attraction. Their lives, apart from the wealth, reflect the good and bad in what goes on in the rest of the country. Family members who are embarrassing and those who always do their best to be polite whatever they feel; partners in happy and unhappy marriages; those who work hard and those who appear to do little for their money; those who want the best for their children, those who hate being photographed. What on earth would Jenny Bond and Nicholas Wichell? and all those photographers do to earn a crust if there was no Royal Family? I couldn't cope with the constant harassment they put up with, or the nosy-parkering into their private lives. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

maddyone Sat 06-May-17 10:48:00

I like him, I like his non PC sense of humour. There are a great many things ordinary people can't say these days, never used to be the case years ago. I worked as a teacher so had to be, and remain, very PC in what I say, but his off the cuff remarks have made me laugh many a time. grin

Yorkshiregel Sat 06-May-17 10:51:09

I love people who make me laugh and lighten my day. He fits the bill and I bet he keeps them in stitches. HM will miss him very much I think when he goes, and vice versa.

henetha Sat 06-May-17 10:51:09

I think he has carried out a difficult role in life extremely well. I like the fact that he isn't always sweet and reasonable! He will be missed I think.

ajanela Sat 06-May-17 10:54:35

I was amazed by some of his remarks. He is no doormat.

He has been a great support to the Queen, who I feel has done a wonderful job and I think she still adores him so for me he is forgiven.

trisher Sat 06-May-17 11:14:51

I like his comment about marriage and the Queen
On marriage in 1997: “You can take it from me the Queen has the quality of tolerance in abundance.”

EmilyHarburn Sat 06-May-17 11:54:50

One can only feel affection for Prince Phillip. He overcame such dreadful family losses to be a loving consort to the Queen and forgo any independent role of his own. I hope that his retirement will bring him the opportunity to engage in his hobbies, play with his grandchildren and no doubt pass on his wisdom to William and Harry.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/prince-philips-unorthodox-upbringing-traumatic-childhood-shaped/

One does wonder if the Queen should offer Parliament the opportunity to use Buckingham Palace whilst they refurbish the Houses of Parliament.

gagsy Sat 06-May-17 12:00:00

I think he's great. He is 30 years past retirement age. He came to open a local cancer centre. He spent a very long time there and was incredibly well informed - made everyone's day. I'm really sad that my grandson won't get his gold award before he retires. He's dealt very well with a difficult position

Lewlew Sat 06-May-17 12:35:39

The ones I read in the paper yesterday were the 'fun' ones, am sure he's made a lot of unpleasant ones as well!

We wondered if he didn't want to host Trump. Now THAT would have been interesting.

Maybe he had a stumble or a fall in their private apartments, or is getting more bladder infections. Things we don't need to know, but am sure he's a proud man and does not want to ruin his image. He also has that big wedding anniversary coming up. He IS in his mid-90s and that's an accomplishment to still be walking, talking and toilet-trained.

paddyann Sat 06-May-17 12:37:42

should have gone long ago and the rest of them with him .He is neither funny nor charming ,managed to bag a marriage that kept him in the lap of luxury his whole life,just for cutting ribbons shaking hands and pretending to be interested...and not even that a lot of the time

Iam64 Sat 06-May-17 12:44:52

Adaunas summarises my own views on the royal family in her post at 10.29. Great for tourism, like all families, some of them work hard, others don't, some are embarrassing, others likeable.

I shared the shock n horror at some of Philip's more outrageous comments (slitty eyes being one of my real horrors) but I'm staggered by the anger and negativity expressed towards him and the RF in general by some people. Philip is 95, he's served this country for over 70 years. Give him a break. Let him relax and enjoy what's left of his life.

POGS Sat 06-May-17 12:46:52

"He IS in his mid-90s and that's an accomplishment to still be walking, talking and toilet-trained."

Blimey Lewlew would you make that statement had this been a GN poster talking about her parent?

I guess that must be how you view old age in general. shock

trisher Sat 06-May-17 12:52:23

Lewlew that's a post worthy of HRH himself! grin