Gransnet forums

News & politics

Party before Brexit or Brixit before Party

(28 Posts)
GracesGranMK2 Mon 08-May-17 08:37:45

I was asked in a recent survey I took part in which was more important to me; the party I support or my view on Brexit. I has to think very hard and decided it was the party.

I have a feeling this will be the swing that puts Mrs May into power so I wondered: Which will be more important to you in the GE; the party you usually support or voting to get the result you desire re the EU?

MaizieD Mon 08-May-17 08:54:55

No brainer, GG2.

Brexit is actually irrelevant to this GE, even though people are trying to make it central. What is paramount is domestic policy; welfare, NHS, education etc.
So the answer is 'party' (or whatever voting strategy one usually uses)

Anniebach Mon 08-May-17 09:54:22

Party for me

whitewave Mon 08-May-17 10:20:18

May is making it Brexit, that's why she's going for the daft target on immigration again in order to attract the gullible vote and Ukkippers of course!!!!

kittylester Mon 08-May-17 10:21:41

I'm sorry but I thought this was advocating having a party before Brexit in case we can's afford one after. grin

sunseeker Mon 08-May-17 10:32:21

I will be voting for the candidate whose policies I most agree with, who can answer my questions - whether he/she or his/her representative turns up at my door. I don't feel I owe loyalty to any one particular party neither do I vote on the basis of one issue.

daphnedill Mon 08-May-17 10:42:42

For me, it's not a problem. The party I support is pro-Remain and wants a second referendum. By the way, it's Europe Day tomorrow. The rest of Europe will be having a party, so join in!

I feel so strongly about Brexit that I would have struggled to support a party which is ambivalent about Europe.

yggdrasil Mon 08-May-17 11:55:47

Not a problem for me either. It has to be policies that I go for. And given there is a chance of beating the tory here so their poisonous policies might be stopped, I will be voting tactically.
Now if we only had STV instead of FPTP, I could be more honest.

POGS Mon 08-May-17 12:00:51

If you state you are voting tactically you are not doing as you say and voting on 'policies'!

GracesGranMK2 Mon 08-May-17 21:46:55

I knew I had had a slightly stressful day kittylister, but it has obviously taken more toll than I thought. I popped back on to see what you had all been up to and sort of read my own title that way too.[worrying]smile

durhamjen Mon 08-May-17 22:18:45

So what are you going to do, POGS?

I read it that way first, Gracesgran, and wondered why anyone would want a party if they didn't support Brexit.
When would they have the street parties?

yggdrasil Tue 09-May-17 15:55:39

"If you state you are voting tactically you are not doing as you say and voting on 'policies'!"

True but I am staying as close as I can without wasting a vote, and certainly NOT voting on personalities

M0nica Tue 09-May-17 16:17:15

Since the party I support has been consistently pro-Europe for a very long time and I, in line with my party are also pro -Europe and voted 'remain', there is no dichotomy. I agree with the European policy of the party I support.

Devorgilla Tue 09-May-17 16:40:13

I will be voting for Party. Brexit has been voted on and the majority view acted upon. Now we need a Party in power as the Government that will make the best deal for us which allows us to prosper enough to afford the NHS etc. That won't be the Conservative Party in my opinion. If I have to put up with JC in the first instance so be it because Labour will be the only Party that delivers for the many.

Welshwife Tue 09-May-17 17:37:54

We need a 'leader' confident enough, if the deal is a really dreadful one and will cause high unemployment etc, to tell the country and reverse the decision.

varian Tue 09-May-17 18:43:05

I will be voting for the party with the best policies, the best strategy re Brexit, and the best leader. The Liberal Democrats.

I am fortunate in living somewhere with a strong liberal tradition, and was represented by a good LibDem MP until 2015 when the cheating Tories got their second rate candidate elected (when are we going to see the results of that police investigation?) so there is no problem. Obviously I will vote Liberal Democrat. In another area it might be more difficult to identify the strongest anti-Tory candidate.

Fitzy54 Tue 09-May-17 19:11:43

In order of priority for me would be
1. to avoid a Corbyn/McDonnell led government, because their economics seem to me laden with risk,
2. staying in Europe,
3. If 2 isn't on the cards, then to get a good Brexit deal (keep, or substantially keep, the four pillars)
4. other policies.
I have no loyalty to any particular party.

Fitzy54 Tue 09-May-17 19:21:29

..and maybe we need to wait for the results of the police investigation before we point the finger at the cheating Tories? Or maybe we are now all subject to a new form of justice, which doesn't require the usual tedious legal process of proving guilt when the second rate political opponents of Liberal Democrats are involved? Is it going in their manifesto?

rosesarered Tue 09-May-17 19:24:54

grin

durhamjen Tue 09-May-17 20:04:18

www.indy100.com/article/30-per-cent-more-young-people-voted-tories-will-lose-on-8th-june-general-election-corbyn-labour-lead-7723671

GracesGranMK2 Tue 09-May-17 21:04:55

Whoever we think of voting for we may have a lack of information when it comes to the BBC.

yggdrasil Wed 10-May-17 09:07:54

Fitzy54. The Electoral Commission have already determined there was wrongdoing, and have fined the Conservatives a very large amount. It just takes the Police a bit longer to decide who actually should be prosecuted, the MPs elected, their local Party, or officials at Conservative Central Office

daphnedill Wed 10-May-17 11:27:55

Nobody is going to be prosecuted, although South Thanet is still being investigated. The CPS has ruled that the standard for a criminal prosecution hasn't been reached.

Welshwife Wed 10-May-17 11:48:01

What a surprise that is!!!!

daphnedill Wed 10-May-17 12:17:39

To be honest, I always thought the case was weak.

The CPS has acknowledged that the spending returns were probably inaccurate BUT it was the MPs and their agents who were being prosecuted and there is no evidence that they knew what they were doing was wrong. They claim that they were told by CCHQ that the bus was part of the national campaign and they didn't need to declare it.