Gransnet forums

News & politics

Getting young people to register to vote

(45 Posts)
sunseeker Wed 10-May-17 09:44:02

There are a couple of businesses locally who are trying to encourage young people to register to vote. One is offering a free pint on production of an email confirming they have registered and another is offering a free bag of chips on production of the same email. I have no idea if either of these businesses have any particular political agenda, and I don't care, the more people who register to vote the better. However, I was saddened to hear the response from young people interviewed "if it will get me a free pint its worth doing", "I'll do it for a free bag of chips". Only one said he would definitely vote. I questioned young people I know (late teens early 20s) and they said they would register to get a free pint/bag of chips. When I asked if they would be voting they said no, they weren't interested, it was "boring". I tried explaining to them that voting was about their future but they just weren't interested. How sad.

Jalima1108 Fri 12-May-17 16:28:58

I just missed the vote in 1966 and had to wait until I was 25 in 1970! by which time, as far as I remember, the franchise had been given to 18 year olds. I remember being very miffed indeed.

Jalima1108 Fri 12-May-17 16:22:54

daphnedill What did you seriously know of politics at the tender age of 16.Me?*hello*?politics was the last thing on my mind at that age and I did believe it was for the older generation
I suppose it depends if your parents talked politics at the dinner table and you were not allowed to leave the table until everyone had finished then had to sit there for another ten minutes to 'let your dinner go down' sarahelenwhiteney wink

MaizieD Fri 12-May-17 15:41:00

Interesting.

Young voters interviewed in my home town:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-39846425

Tallulah57 Fri 12-May-17 10:13:52

^there are millions of adults who lack wisdom and we dont stop
them from using their vote ...witness Brexit!^

PaddyAnn why do you feel the need to be insulting? Everyone has a right to vote whichever way they choose and as majority of GN's on this forum respect your views please do them the kindness and reciprocate.

Ana Thu 11-May-17 22:05:17

Yes, I see what you meant now.

varian Thu 11-May-17 21:46:12

At that time you had to be 21 to vote anywhere in the UK, not just in Scotland

varian Thu 11-May-17 21:36:25

The voting age was 21 but I had to wait till I was 24 and a half because I had been under 21 for the previous GE.

Ana Thu 11-May-17 21:25:37

Well, I didn't know that - why on earth was Scotland so behind the times with voting age for women?

varian Thu 11-May-17 21:12:05

I agree. Like quite a lot of Scottish students in the 1960s, I went to university at sixteen, graduated at nineteen, but was not able to vote in a general election until I was 24 and a half, by which time I had been working and paying taxes for fivr years, and was married with a child. I couldn't wait to vote, even though I was well aware that I was living in a safe seat where my vote was hardky likely to make a difference.

paddyann Thu 11-May-17 20:53:39

*radicalnan" "they lack wisdom" there are millions of adults who lack wisdom and we dont stop them from using their vote ...witness Brexit!Many young people are far more politically aware than their parents generation...you do them a disservice

paddyann Thu 11-May-17 20:49:13

I've always been interested in Politics from a very young age,my modern studies teacher pulled me up for wearing an SNP and a CND badge on my blazer (around the time Winnie Ewing won Hamilton) he told me I was deluded that the SNP would never win more than a couple of seats and as for devolution it would never happen...and I told him ,when we get independence I'll come and look you up and you can admit how wrong you were.My kids and my neices and nephews were all interested ..I think it depends on your family and background.The 16 year olds I know now are all keen to use their vote and why shouldn't they.They can legally get married ( no parental consent in Scotland) work and pay tax an dsign up for the forces ..so they should have a say in whats happening in the country ...Its THEIR FUTURE we'll all be gone and they'll be left with the mess we made of it

mcem Thu 11-May-17 20:03:57

My DGCs opportunities to vote have been- elder one 2 and younger one 1. All votes used !

sarahellenwhitney Thu 11-May-17 19:47:33

daphnedill What did you seriously know of politics at the tender age of 16.Me?*hello*?politics was the last thing on my mind at that age and I did believe it was for the older generation .

sarahellenwhitney Thu 11-May-17 19:35:22

I can understand young people mot bothering to vote
What experience have they had of the political parties like their mums and dads. Do you vote based on what a party promises you they will achieve for you? promises promises? My own experience when of the age to vote was following my parents and who they voted for.I was 18 plus and having a good time with folk my own age.What did I care about politics.

BRedhead59 Thu 11-May-17 16:54:00

I've just read that in my local area only a third of the population voted. I am horrified by that.

rosesarered Thu 11-May-17 16:46:35

dd I don't think that younger voters ( eligible to vote) in general seem to give voting any thought at all.If they did, they would go out and do it.

rosesarered Thu 11-May-17 16:43:50

I agree radicalgran far from bringing it down to 16 it should go back to 21 when there is a chance ( just a chance mind you) that they would be bothered to vote.

daphnedill Thu 11-May-17 15:41:54

Maybe young people think that voting is only for grumpy old whingers, who think they're the only people who know anything! grin

Ana Thu 11-May-17 14:58:00

I like that one maisiegreen! grin

radicalnan Thu 11-May-17 14:55:09

Isn't bribe illegal? I don't think I could stand another sodding inquiry.

I think the vote should go back to 21 but they want to bring it down to 16, es it is their future but they lack wisdom at that age.

Chips..........would exclude the annorexics and be discriminatory.

maisiegreen Thu 11-May-17 14:35:21

I think this would do the trick

chrissyh Thu 11-May-17 14:31:27

If some young people need a bribe (as small as a bag of chip) as an incentive to vote then maybe they shouldn't be voting anyway.

Menopaws Thu 11-May-17 13:40:16

Gave my mum her voting card today(90 years old) and she said ..oh they won't miss my vote.., anyway I have applied with her permission to vote by proxy but I don't think it's just the youngsters at fault here

paddyann Thu 11-May-17 13:01:45

my Granny was a suffragette, if any of mine didn't vote they'd have to answer to me....a small baby can be walked in its pram to the polling station so that wouldn't wash as an excuse .Neither does shift work,stations are open for a long time ,its always possible to go before or after work .

JanaNana Thu 11-May-17 12:57:00

I was 21 when I was old enough to vote for the first time . Going back to those years without 24 hour TV coverage the pressure was on with cars driving around the area using loud speakers to encourage you to vote for whatever candidate. Each party having several cars driving around the areas throughout the day, offering to give people lifts to the polling stations if required. Back then in the late 1960s cars were not part of everyone's life. Many people would walk, cycle or get the bus. My family were mixed voters each having there own firm views and reasons so I did not really know or particularly care at that age who won an election. I think nowadays young people are taught much more about these topics and debate them at uni. I feel it's only as you get a bit older and have lived a bit of life that you really start to take notice and make your choice through considering the pros and cons etc. I believe in Australia that voting is compulsory and do wonder if this should be applied here.