Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are the UK electorate out of touch with reality?

(136 Posts)
James2451 Mon 15-May-17 21:31:55

I have only been on Gransnet a few weeks, but I have been most impressed with the articulate level of debates, one or two have been rather catty ( may I use that expression ?) but the majority of comments are very enlightening in their expression of views about the debates going on around this election and the reasons for calling same.

Our newspapers are so biased it is almost impossible to obtain a factual unbiased report. The political parties propaganda is appalling, yet influences millions of electorates.

I am now getting the feeling that the electorate are out of touch with reality and almost brainwashed. One simple question please, is this election a vote of support for Brexit or remain,or what it should be, that is a decision on political caring and needed policies we desire to be implemented by Parliament over the next five years?

I await your wise and honest unbiased views.

James2451 Sat 20-May-17 12:15:30

Lynnieg, I wish I had your faith in having a House of Commons swamped with many Tory MP's with extreme RW views. I would also feel concerned about a House filled with extreme LW Labour MP's.
Incidently, No matter what you presume about my voting intentions, I have never voted on Tribal party grounds like the majority.
I do consider party manifesto's and the views of the candidates standing in my constituency, they are all seriously taken into account. Which is why since mid 50's I have voted on different occasions Tory, Labour and Lib Dem.

Lynnieg Fri 19-May-17 21:35:33

And the majority will vote against repealing the act and it will be off the table, probably for good. Like the death penalty

rosesarered Fri 19-May-17 21:35:23

X posts!

Ana Fri 19-May-17 21:35:17

And you're right about the LP manifesto roses - Lord Bountiful offering everything to everyone but knowing he'll never be called upon to deliver.

rosesarered Fri 19-May-17 21:34:48

Also James free school dinners will still be available to those on benefits or very low incomes ( ie. those who need it) and there will be free breakfasts at school for all who want them.
'Barbaric fox hunting' won't just be allowed, Parliament would be free to vote on it and I doubt they would vote to bring it back.

Ana Fri 19-May-17 21:32:37

I don't agree. I don't believe May's policies are extremist and why complain about a few Grammar Schools?

She hasn't said she'll bring back fox hunting, just that there might be another vote on it.

Lynnieg Fri 19-May-17 21:30:16

I'm doubtful that you were ever going to vote for May actually James. I think you're being a bit disingenuous there.
(In my opinion of course)

rosesarered Fri 19-May-17 21:29:22

Mainly it's about who would be best in the driving seat with Brexit on the horizon
IMHO James
Corbyn has thrown all he has got at the electorate with tons of people pleasing policies, free this, that and the other ( live now pay later.)
The Tories haven't done that, which is a risk for them, but have decided to be realistic as there could be hard times ahead at least for the short term.
If the people don't choose Corbyn and all his freebies, that means people see through these policies and don't trust him with the economy.

whitewave Fri 19-May-17 21:24:12

You are right james

If May gets a landslide as she is hoping, she will feel free to go for everything youve listed as well as Grammers (a ridiculous vanity project) but also a hard Brexit which will be disastrous.

James2451 Fri 19-May-17 21:18:28

Well said Daisychain 21,
I am now getting the feeling that the electorate is being brainwashed. One simple question please, is this election a vote of support for Brexit or remain,or what it should be, that is a decision on political caring and needed policies we desire to be implemented by Parliament over the next five years?

The last 48 hours have convinced me that the election being about Brexit is a kidology to bring May's extremism in through the back door. I hate the decision to stop free meals, allow barbaric Fox Hunting, Renage on Leveson and allow Murdoch etc to continue malpractices and go unpunished. Very unhappy about rejecting Dilnot recommendations on Care in favour of hidden property tax for Care. Sorry but I am not voting for May it it now Lib Dems or Greens. Even Labour.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 19-May-17 09:00:48

Heaven help you if you are sick, disabled, young or not independently wealthy.

A good summary Daisy. It is all becoming really, really frightening if you are any of the above. I also cannot believe how many think it is OK to treat others in this way as long as they believe (probably inaccurately) that they will be OK. We live in very sad times.

Anniebach Fri 19-May-17 08:47:54

Sorry GG, not for me to explain to you what is or isn't good manners, but I do think you to accuse Maizie of not being good mannered was untrue and unkind.

Daisychain21 Fri 19-May-17 07:31:47

Is I about Bexit? I think to lots it is.
Should it be? Yes partly.
We are leaving the single market and people will vote for who they think will get us the most.
However, we will be left with this particularly elected long after and without the protections of the EU.
Good bye triple lock, hello privatised NHS, not sure there will be anyone sane left to work in it anyway.
Heaven help you if you are sick, disabled, young or not independently wealthy.
Am I a Leftie, nope not really but for anyone who lived through a Thatcher Govt it is like history repeating itself but without the single market.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 18-May-17 15:34:34

Isn't it good manners to try and pull it back and go off and start a new thread if it's so riveting?

Anniebach Thu 18-May-17 15:30:58

Threads often do

grammargran Thu 18-May-17 15:26:26

This thread has gone way off topic ......

Anniebach Thu 18-May-17 09:18:22

I did say it was fishy, some priests and nuns I know struggled not to answer their calling , but then sccepted it.

rosesarered Thu 18-May-17 09:12:15

Even the Catholic Irish priest thought that he had a genuine calling, in spite of being pushed in that direction.

Anniebach Thu 18-May-17 09:11:12

Roses, I missed your earlier post , I read Maizies claim on the priest.

I know a small number who left the priesthood but their suffering was difficult to hear of. I know priests who doubt the virgin birth , why not have doubts , why not question, I assumed this was a priest who didn't have any faith and had no problem with it.

rosesarered Thu 18-May-17 09:10:06

I don't think for one minute that any clergy actually join a church for hypocritical reasons.

rosesarered Thu 18-May-17 09:08:03

I agree ab though, that these clergy should really find another occupation.
The priest that I knew was around 45 came from Ireland and would never have found another job, his family in Ireland would feel shamed.He carried on doing his best for the congregation and was very liked.He told me that in Ireland one son in almost every family was pushed into the priesthood as it was an honour to be accepted.This was in England ( his church) and am guessing he wasn't the only one to feel like that.
Another man we knew was the local vicar at our village church in Cornwall.He was married ( not happily) had a drink problem and a faith problem.
We have to remember that they are human and prone to all human failings.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 18-May-17 09:01:10

I'm afraid, Maizie, that there are still some in this country who see joining a church or a political party as just joining the 'right' club. Hypocrisy isn't a problem as long as you fit your view of society.

rosesarered Thu 18-May-17 08:56:42

What I meant to say was that it's horrible for 'the clergyman concerned'.

rosesarered Thu 18-May-17 08:55:16

Don't put words in my mouth please Maizie I didn't say anyone was 'comfortable' with it.
These priests and vicars that feel like this didn't go through theological college thinking this, it creeps up on them slowly throughout life.I once knew a Catholic priest that felt like this and you read of others from time to time.There was a Bishop some years ago that was castigated for admitting that fact.
Think Grantchester! Yes, it's tv fiction but the feelings the clergy struggle with are very real.It's not horrible, it's human.

Anniebach Thu 18-May-17 08:22:48

No I am not comfortable with it. I know a small number who left the priesthood after struggling with doubts. What horrifies me about the priest mentioned is not only he lying to people who place their trust in him but he is refusing to take responsibility and claiming it is fine to lie and betray people because someone has told him it's ok to do so.

There is something fishy about this, no struggling with loss of faith .

But I find hypocrisy, lies and betrayal of trust so difficult to understand