Gransnet forums

News & politics

Crazy benefits system need an overhaul

(219 Posts)
Poly580 Sat 20-May-17 18:00:52

I am absolutely in shock that a friend has just visited in a £47,000 Volvo given to them by the state. The only only additional payment was a deposit of £3,100. They also get free road tax, parking, tires and apparently don't have to worry where they park as they just give the vehicle back in two years time for a new one. Scratches aren't a problem.

I knew people could get a top up benefit, mobility, that they can give to a car dealer for a car but I was expecting a vehicle of much smaller value.

I am not against the disabled being helped and supported, that's a given for me but this is a step too far.

Why have they allowed this benefit to get to this level?

We live In an age were children are about to be denied free school dinners when it's possibly the only hot meal they may have all day, pensioners dying because they are being refused heating payment, people denied cancer drugs because we can't afford it, homeless.....the list goes on.

1. Why not reduce the value for the cars as this figure seems disproportionate and wrong.
2. You should not be able to buy a car of this value on benefits when somebody working 40 hours per week could not afford to do so.
3. Do a deal with a car manufacturer ( all the British ones have gone) who employees British people and at least let our own country benefit from employment in manufacturing.
4. If you can afford £3,100 deposit for a 4x4 then you are receiving too much benefit.
5. You won't die without a car but you might through lack of food, heating or treatment. Cheaper cars should be given and then share the rest of the funds amongst the needy.
Is anyone else shocked at the value of the cars you can get on the benefits system?

NanaandGrampy Sat 20-May-17 21:00:22

My husband worked for Ford Motor Co for 35 years so I do have an insight Poly. They buy at a reduced price for a number of reasons. Sheer volume and it's guaranteed volume. It allows manufacturers to plan production and also to push lines that aren't selling well or usually lines that are due for upgrade or replacement. Improved Brand awareness.

The 3 year 'lifespan' also improves the used car market .

The manufacturer doesn't lose out. For instance this year I chose a SEAT . A brand that has previously not been available under the scheme.

I didn't get the vehicle for nothing , I paid the required advance payment . I pay a monthly lease from my mobility allowance . So it's not free. I need a mobility scooter so the choice for me was limited to vehicles that I can get my scooter in. For a number of years this was the only reason I could continue to work. I get no other benefits, but I will always be grateful for being able to use the scheme .

Poly580 Sat 20-May-17 21:05:22

It's not for nothing in the medical sense but it is for nothing. It's not worked for. It's a benefit just like any other. I have obviously hit a nerve with you durhamjen. I am not callous and I do have people in my family who receive this benefit so you shouldn't assume.....and I assure you that if my brother ever turns up in a BMW sport or jeep I would say the same to him. I am very happy for him to get around but would prefer if it was a sensibly priced car and the difference given to the freezing lady down the road or the homeless man on the street.

mcem Sat 20-May-17 21:08:39

My daughter is one who lost her car. An appeal is pending but it was a case of removing the allowance and then asking questions.
By the way, an economical little runabout would have been of no use to her because of her conditions.
For her hospital appointments now she relies on her partner or, when he's at work, a family member, as her taxi fare is approx £30 each way.
I'd take your friend's stories with a pinch of salt and would hope that you don't think such an inaccurate view applies to all who rely on Notability.

Poly580 Sat 20-May-17 21:10:35

Sorry nanna, but who pays your monthly mobility allowance...the tax payer. So the car to you is free. My husband has just celebrated 40 years at Jaguar Landrover and is amazed at the vehicles on the car list above.

Luckygirl Sat 20-May-17 21:11:29

It is so difficult when people make judgements looking from the outside in - I am not getting at you OP, but it is often very difficult to know the full facts of these situations.I used to be involved in helping folk to get the benefits they are entitled to and believe me there are many folk not getting the benefits they are entitled to, and struggling unnecessarily.

I do take your point about British cars and it would make sense if the scheme could favour these where they are suitable for someone's needs.

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 21:16:48

How many actual British cars are there nowadays?
Jaguar? Jeeps?
Poly doesn't want people in those, far too good for those with disabilities.

NanaandGrampy Sat 20-May-17 21:18:59

Actually Poly I worked all my life , so whilst this is a benefit it's one which I and many others contributed to with our taxes etc . It's not free in that sense .

Poly580 Sat 20-May-17 21:20:16

I take your point Luckygirl. I am not against anyone getting this benefit as being assumed by some. What I am aposed to is the vehicles on the scheme. Many of these vehicles share the same platform due to cost, so an Audi (certain models) has to same platform as a Skoda and so on. As they have the same platform they are the same size vehicle so we are not comparing a little fiat to a family car. They have the same platform but the skoda is so much cheaper than the Audi. It's the expensive cars on the scheme I disagree with.

NanaandGrampy Sat 20-May-17 21:20:39

Actually Tata owns Jaguar and Fiat owns Jeep smile

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 21:24:40

Strangely enough, Motability don't have a search category for British or foreign cars. Do you count cars made in Britain, but for foreign companies, e.g. Nissan or Toyota?

www.motability.co.uk/cars-scooters-and-powerchairs/search/

Whe looking for a Motability car, that is the last thing on your mind. It's usually things like how easy it is to get in and out, how wide the doors open, how high the boot is and the seats are, how easy it will be to adapt.

Why did your brother get his DLA or PIP? Can he walk 20 meters?

paddyann Sat 20-May-17 21:29:14

another "I'm all right jack" so you're ok with disablled folk getting cheap runabouts but not expensive cars... is it that you dont want anyone who dares claim from the state to have something YOU cant afford? How sad

Poly580 Sat 20-May-17 21:29:27

Your comment is pathetic durhamjen. You will be telling me next that somebody on housing benefit should have a million pound house and why not, is that too good for them. I suggest you read the oringinal post properly.
I suggested that the cars allowed should be made by British workers on British soil so at least those people have orders and hopefully stay employed....How selfish of me!!

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 21:30:05

And Ford had lots of factories here, even though it was American, and hasn't built any cars here since 2002, I don't think, have they N&G?
Should all motability cars be Landrover, or are they owned by foreigners?

Poly580 Sat 20-May-17 21:34:50

Paddyann, what an assumption. We both have are own cars, both top of the range and collectively cost just under £100,000. Worked all our lives thanks, so "can afford" and far from sad, very happy thanks

NanaandGrampy Sat 20-May-17 21:45:39

Ford don't build any cars in the UK , only engines at Dagenham. Transit vans in Southampton.

Tata own Landrover.

There are only 3 British cars made in the U.K these days Morgan , Caterham and McLaren ( none available on Motability smile)

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 21:45:50

I was asking you, Poly, what you meant by British cars. Why is that pathetic?
You mention Skoda being the equivalent of an Audi, neither of which are made in Britain.

My son has a Skoda Octavia, and his dad could never get into it without it hurting as the seats are too low.
What's pathetic about thinking of the practical. That's why people try out cars.
We had four motability cars over the years so knew what to look for.
Nice to know you think my comments about something I really know about are pathetic.

Poly580 Sat 20-May-17 21:46:45

Right now I am being insulted by idiots who don't even know me, for having an opinion, I am done.
My point still stands, the cars on the scheme are too expensive when cheaper ones would do when we have people being denied life saving treatment and drugs because we can't afford it. I will never understand a system which allows people to run around in a Sports car and leave somebody else without treatment. That's my opinion and I am entitled to it.

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 21:47:28

That Tata get everywhere, don't they, N&G! No wonder they wanted the steel works in Wales.

NanaandGrampy Sat 20-May-17 21:55:23

It's true Durham Tata owns the lot smile

I don't think I've insulted you Poly but I do wholeheartedly disagree with you.

There are lots of other ways that we could be saving money for those life saving operations and homeless people. We could ALL drive cheaper cars... you too?

I don't 'run around' in my car . Until very recently , I drove to work , did a 16 hour day and the drove home . I contributed my tax and NI .

You're right in one way - we'll have to agree to disagree .

annsixty Sat 20-May-17 22:12:50

I was going to reply citing personal experience but too many people only wanting to justify themselves and their own stance so I won't bother a d that is not getting at any one.

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 22:31:41

Your personal experience is as valid as anyone else's, annsixty.
You might make us see things differently, too.
ONe of the reasons there are so many different cars avaiable is that we are all individuals. Every person with a Motability car will have different needs and different specifications.
Also they all come from different backgrounds. Some will have money to add to the PIP; others will not. We had no extra money as my husband was on benefits as well as DLA. I worked as self-employed and we had no money to spare.
The car we got was the most comfortable one that we could afford for him. I don't apologise for that. There was a time when we thought he would never walk again.

Rigby46 Sat 20-May-17 23:11:28

Probably a planned post from Conservative Central Office to deflect from the social care/WFA fiasco. Goodness, before you know it, someone will be posting about the increase in teenage pregnancies.

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 23:21:19

And Poly's cars would buy a couple of houses up here.

mcem Sat 20-May-17 23:24:14

And it turned into a neat opportunity to boast about are (sic) expensive cars.
D'you think she might vote Tory next month?
As my granny said 'To hell wi' you, Jack. I'm alright'!!!!

daphnedill Sat 20-May-17 23:25:01

My guess is that life under a bridge was getting a bit boring, so Poly decided to go and do a bit of stirring.