Gransnet forums

News & politics

A Labour Government.

(1001 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sun 28-May-17 07:42:31

I am seriously getting worried, that that joke Corbyn might end up running he country, which will within months, put a new social policy in place to be paid for by the ones that work, and on their knees knees already, borrowing money, left right and centre, so that llike every labour government in history leave us in massive debts that will increase until, once again the country votes conservative to sort it all out. I probably won't be here it see that happen. I notuce the frugal life style Blair had, an example to all labour voters. He and his very rich family did very well out of it, pity the country didn't, particularly those youngsters sent to Iraq.

Anya Sun 28-May-17 08:39:16

DJ FFS shut up with all the aggression.

Rigby46 Sun 28-May-17 08:39:56

Well I think if we are going to post on threads like this, we should try and get our facts right and that includes the names of politicians

Anya Sun 28-May-17 08:40:11

No I criticised you for being rude and nasty.

NanaandGrampy Sun 28-May-17 08:42:20

Thank you Anya my feelings exactly.

Are you accusing me of some sort of racial bias now Durham ? I made an error - no-one died ! I stand corrected .

BUT whilst I'm here - I hardly ever venture into these political threads because of that type of comeback. This time I was interested enough to risk it ( and if I say risk it I mean exactly that - I don't particularly enjoy confrontation ) .

I wanted to get some informed opinion. I was interested in some explanation. DONT presume to tell others nothing will change my mind Durham . You don't know me at all !!

Rigby46 Sun 28-May-17 08:43:26

This thread has started off with a very aggressive, ill informed OP - that makes me feel quite aggressive as I'm fed up of people who just post rubbish, misinformation and lies and IMO that sort of post is much more prevalent among the right of centre posters. Just read the OP - it's complete crap

Anya Sun 28-May-17 08:44:48

I give up. If this is the face of Labour that posters on here are being shown then I'm not surprised they don't vote for us.

There are those of us who would like you wavered to consider the facts and compare the manifestos and then decide.

But in the meantime I've off this thread.

Anya Sun 28-May-17 08:48:13

Grow up .....'she started it'?

N&G I assure you it is worth clicking on my little blue link thrn reading the manifestos. Don't be put off by the few. There are many Labour voters who don't venture into these threads either, which is a pity as they would say, as I do.

Think about it. .

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 08:51:20

Like Rigby said, the thread starts off criticising Labour voters.
I saw the title and thought good, someone's taking Corbyn seriously at last.
Then I saw my mistake.
There was nothing aggressive about my first post. It was all in your head. Nothing aggressive about suggesting someone reads more politics.
Calling Corbyn a joke is not aggressive, is it not?
Saying that Labour's social policy will bring workers to their knees is okay, is it?

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 08:52:09

I thought you,d gone, Anya.

NanaandGrampy Sun 28-May-17 08:55:15

Thanks Anya , I have clicked on it and will take the time to read it.

The thing about words Durham is that its not all in the way you write things , its in the way you read them too. And I thought your comment was aggressively put . Of course your comment about being unable to tell one person from another just because of the colour of their skin....well you outdid yourself there.

I too am bailing on this thread.

Anniebach Sun 28-May-17 08:55:35

N&G, do take Anya's advice and don't be put off by a certain few .

Iam64 Sun 28-May-17 08:56:08

I'm away and have Internet, which may go any minute. I read the unpleasant, aggressive OP and hoped to see some positive comments to follow those from whitewave and Anya. Why do some people believe the way to win friends and influence people is to be rude, aggressive and combative. I've been critical of Jeremy corbyn and John McDonnell. the manifesto is good, jc's speech on the need to find a better way of fighting terrorism, including acknowledging the part wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya Syria play seem to me to be accurate. Those views probably reflect the views of a majority in the U.K. I'm delighted the lead is cut to 5pcent and despite my reservations about the leadership I'm certain the country will be a better place without a conservative government
I've just watched thousands in Manchester send their message following the terrorist attack. They sang the Manc anthem - don't look back in anger. Excellent

Maggiemaybe Sun 28-May-17 09:00:49

Anya, you are so right, and it's sad that Labour supporters who could persuade others to join them are put off from doing so by the pervading atmosphere on these threads. N & G made a simple slip of the pen/keypad and was immediately pounced upon - and yes, there's a snide accusation of racism in there too, which is disgraceful. I've had the same casual nastiness from the same source, so sympathise, N & G. She doesn't misread, she chooses to twist what is written.

I did read your link, Anya. The Tories are very good at promoting their reputation for good financial management, but the figures speak for themselves.

ninny Sun 28-May-17 09:02:25

Yes if Corbyn got in propped up by SNP Sturgeon God help us what a mess our once great country would become. We'd surrender to the EU end up a laughing stock and be worse off than before the Referendum.

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 09:05:34

skwawkbox.org/2017/05/28/100-schools-lose-over-1-million-to-tory-schoolcuts-ge17-nut/
If you don't want Corbyn, this is what you get for your grandchildren.

Anniebach Sun 28-May-17 09:06:08

You too are putting yourself in the line of fire Maggie.

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 09:06:22

Please watch the video from the NUT.

Oldwoman70 Sun 28-May-17 09:15:19

The list posted by Whitewave is very commendable and I would fully support it if I could be sure how it was going to be paid for. Will it be from all those extra taxes taken from companies and "the rich" or will that money be used to pay off the shareholders in the companies Labour want to renationalise - that's always assuming Corbyn doesn't reveal his true communist leanings and just confiscate the shares. Labour want open borders so all those coming to this country will have to be housed and fed (we none of us want to see them sleeping on the streets and begging) so all those extra taxes will have to be diverted to at the very least providing temporary camps until they are able to get jobs and provide for themselves, oh wait, there will be no jobs because those companies able to will get tired of being overtaxed and move abroad. Still there will always be those fat cats running the stock market, but over tax them and they will take their expertise abroad and the stock market will suffer. Having read previous posts it appears many of you worked in the public sector, social workers, teachers etc. You will have paid for and be receiving a pension as a result, now I know you are all too intelligent to think that your contributions were put in a big safe and once a month someone takes out a wad of cash and forwards it to your bank account. No your contributions were invested in the stock market, if that fails then your income will drop - I know mine will. Once all these filthy rich fat cats have left the country and taken their money with them, who will be left to be taxed - you and me thats who.

Welshwife Sun 28-May-17 09:32:31

Did any one else see the figures for TORY borrowing since they last came to power --- 850 BILLION which is far more than the whole term of the last Labour Govt.
as they say my flabber was well and truly ghasted when I saw that - especially when it took place during a time of great austerity.
I would rather the borrowing was on things to benefit everyone than be wasted on whatever --- where was it used?
After the war the Govt borrowed for infrastructure which gave employment to people as well as improved and repaired things eventually leading to a better country than the bomb heaps everywhere. We need similar again.

Oldwoman70 Sun 28-May-17 09:39:00

Who was it who left a note saying good luck there is no money left?

Maggiemaybe Sun 28-May-17 09:47:51

I don't remember, but he has a lot to answer for. That misjudged attempt at a joke still resurfaces regularly and has caused untold damage to the Labour party.

Maggiemaybe Sun 28-May-17 09:55:22

Liam Byrne. Here we are: www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/may/17/liam-byrne-note-successor

Apparently Tory Reginald Maudling left one for James Callaghan in 1964 saying Good luck, old cock. Sorry to leave it in such a mess.

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 09:58:03

Why is it that when Labour has fully costed figures, nobody believes them, but they will trust the tories who have costed nothing?

GracesGranMK2 Sun 28-May-17 09:58:05

So the Tories are rattled because they are at last being given something of the scrutiny that the Labour Party always gets. One thing we should remember is that we can't trust to polls. Sadly, I still think the Conservatives will win but it is important to send the message that the electorate cannot be taken for granted for the sake of Tory ideology.

This election was always Theresa Mays to loose rather than the LPs to win. They made a bogeyman out of Corbyn - we see it all the time on here:

that joke Corbyn
He is weak, completely out of his depth, is not a leader and it would be a disaster for this country.

When those who are rather more open-minded begin to see this is the affect of the Tory Press at work and some of these things prove not to be true it is not suprising that, as I understand it, a third of voters say their opinion of Corbyn has improved and a third say their opinion of May has gone down. If you constantly lie, or paint exaggerated pictures, it tends to rebound in the end.

Anniebach Sun 28-May-17 09:59:03

Abbott on Marr this morning, on being asked on the support she gave to the IRA dismissed all she had said

Every defeat for the British state is a victory fir us all

Though I was born in London I couldn't identify as British

This morning she swept aside questions on this time with - I have moved on since then.

Yesterday, after Corbyn said he had never met a member of the IRA Abbott said he had met members of the IRA, she followed thus with - he shared a platform with them but didn't speak to them.

This woman could be the Home Secretary in two weeks

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion