Gransnet forums

News & politics

VERY IMPORTANT NHS News!

(85 Posts)
NikkiW Mon 29-May-17 10:02:57

No matter who you are thinking of voting for on the 8th June, please watch this short clip on the Naylor report which the tories are backing.

So, in easy short words, Theresa May is not just in favour of selling off the NHS, she thinks the government should PAY people to TAKE IT AWAY. A BOGOF deal on hospitals, buy one get one free

We should be angry at the TEN BILLION POUNDS they are expecting to spend on the process of giving (sorry selling) the NHS to private companies, OVER AND ABOVE the BOGOF deal

The bottom line:
Trusts must sell their hospitals, or be deprived of public funding to keep them open. The government will throw away whatever money it takes to make the sales of assets more attractive, and Theresa May supports this idea.

Please share far and wide - we need to get this message out!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx3hrpDCct8

www.whitehouseconsulting.co.uk/…/The-Naylor-Review-…

#votelabour

durhamjen Wed 31-May-17 20:37:13

i2.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/170507-Tory-NHS-record.jpg?w=428

varian Wed 31-May-17 11:41:45

The reciprocal health service arrangement we have enjoyed as EU members has benefited Britain far more than the other countries because of the large number of retired Brits living in other EU countries, people who are more likely to have health problems than young folk. EU migrants living in the UK tend to be young and working, paying taxes, many working in care services and the NHS but less likely to need treatment.

The NHS would be hit with a bill for an extra £500m a year if all the retired British citizens now living in Europe could no longer get care post-Brexit and returned to the UK, a report from a healthcare thinktank has calculated.

According to the Nuffield Trust, the cost of Brexit to the NHS and social care system would be higher still if the numbers of nurses and care workers currently coming to the UK from Europe fell. Its report says there could be a shortfall of 70,000 paid carers by 2025/26 if the migration of unskilled workers to Britain from Europe is no longer permitted.

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/31/nhs-faces-500m-a-year-bill-post-brexit-for-returning-retirees-says-thinktank?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=228452&subid=21678002&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

whitewave Tue 30-May-17 17:03:58

Yes Brexit is going to make a potential huge and disastrous scenario

BlueBelle Tue 30-May-17 16:46:25

I haven't read the whole thread so apologise if this has been covered

durhamjen Tue 30-May-17 15:24:54

I am writing to let you know that I will not stand for the destruction of the NHS. My family, friends and I refuse to accept American health insurance -

style funding arrangements for the NHS and Social Care. These are being introduced through the secretive Sustainability and Transformation Plans.

We call on you as a Parliamentary Candidate to say 'NO' to Accountable Care Systems/Organisations in the NHS that would turn it into a version

of the American Medicare/Medicaid system. These new models of care will end the NHS as a comprehensive service that provides the full range

of care to all who need it, free at the point of need.*

whocanivotefor.co.uk/elections/

From 38 degrees.

varian Tue 30-May-17 13:47:01

Theresa May suggests UK health services could be part of US trade deal, presumably because the brexit disaster will make us utterly desperate to trade with anyone on any terms.

No one who cares about the NHS should even consider voting for her party.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-donald-trump-nhs-us-trade-deal-brexit-torture-a7548156.html

durhamjen Tue 30-May-17 12:35:49

Just to show how the tories go back on their funding promises.

theconversation.com/tory-manifestos-nhs-and-social-care-promises-do-they-add-up-77991

May said on that video that capital was different to ordinary everyday spending. However she used cuts to capital spending as a reason not to give the NHS the £8 billion promised.

durhamjen Tue 30-May-17 12:21:40

I agree. And here it is again, courtesy of skwawkbox.

skwawkbox.org/2017/05/30/may-loves-naylorreport-everyone-must-seeshare-video-ge17-nhs/

Pass this on to everyone on facebook, etc.
Apparently not many people have watched it so far.

daphnedill Tue 30-May-17 09:34:29

Ooops! Oh well! It's worth repeating and,if people, haven't watched it, they should.

durhamjen Tue 30-May-17 09:25:32

Sorry, daphne.

durhamjen Tue 30-May-17 09:25:18

Dahne, that video is in the OP. I thought you'd found another one.

daphnedill Tue 30-May-17 09:23:25

Chart showing UK healthcare expenditure per capita compared with a few OECD countries.

daphnedill Tue 30-May-17 09:16:12

This vlog about the Naylor Report is worth watching, if anybody is really interested in what's going on.

The man presenting it is a bit irritating, but he explains the Naylor Report well.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx3hrpDCct8&app=desktop

To summarise, the family silver is being sold!

daphnedill Tue 30-May-17 09:14:18

France, Germany, etc etc ... all of them pay more per head for healthcare than we do in the UK. I'm not talking about health tourism. If their treatment is better it's because people pay more. Pensioners pay for health insurance too.

whitewave Tue 30-May-17 08:11:19

llegs google the European countries, you can find all that information and admire the way some of their systems work.

bags we actually don't know if we don't want to pay as we haven't talked about it yet. Besides which imagine what we would all have to pay if we went private.

Luckylegs9 Tue 30-May-17 08:01:46

Daphndill, which ones? NHS treats everyone for everything, anyone that visits our country, those that haven't paid in. I know that from the horses mouth. What other country offers that?. If you go just to Europe with your HIC card it covers you for up to £500, further afield nothing.As we have seen from the news, people come to gave babies, heart transplants and they never get paid, that is only the very expensive treatment, there are many thousands more. I only found this snippet out when I rang to get travel insurance cover, I said that cannot be right and was told, unfortunately it is, we treat first regardless of whether they pay or not.

daphnedill Tue 30-May-17 07:21:50

In that case, there needs to be a national discussion about what we want from the NHS. Nearly every other health service in the developed world is better funded. Privatisation won't save it. All that will happen is that those who can afford it will pay and the rest of us will suffer.

There are some hard questions and we need to face up to them.

Luckylegs9 Tue 30-May-17 05:44:47

Our wonderful NHS service. Is groaning under ever increasing demands, it is a bottomless pit. Afraid it us unsustainable.

daphnedill Tue 30-May-17 03:02:56

It's not just Northumberland. West Essex has been made to join with North Hertfordshire, which makes a very strange-shaped STP. Our designated hospital is also an hour from where I live - much longer during rush hour. None of the main roads are direct, because all roads from here radiate from London. The train takes over an hour, requires a change and costs £21.10 return (off peak). The nearest hospital is in Cambridge, but it costs GPs extra to refer their patients there, because it's not part of our "network".

This is happening all over the country.

durhamjen Mon 29-May-17 22:37:05

But in the whole of Northumberland there only is one A&E, so there's no point in them going to the Wansbeck, or Hexham or Rothbury.
Over an hour from Berwick to Cramlington hospital, providing there are no tractors or slow lorries on the A1, which is still single carriageway for much of that time.

daphnedill Mon 29-May-17 21:12:34

It certainly is!

thatbags Mon 29-May-17 21:01:26

All of which is a sad reflection on our NHS, dd, isn't it?

daphnedill Mon 29-May-17 20:55:43

I agree they're not privatisation by stealth, but they're not free, because they don't exist. They're not there!

daphnedill Mon 29-May-17 20:53:48

Actually, thatbags STPs are vitally important and are driving the future of healthcare provision. They were supposed to consult with "stakeholders" (ie "us") and I did eventually find my STP's consultation documents. I dutifully completed the survey, but I doubt whether anybody took any notice.

For ages, I've been involved in a group trying to resurrect our local hospital. It was really difficult to find out who was responsible for any decision making. Eventually, we did find out, but we were still pushed from pillar to post - "not me guv, try the bloke down the road".

STPs are the latest reorganisation from CCGs. Remember Cameron's claim about "no more top down reorganisation"? We now have the ridiculous situation that all the acute hospitals in our network are further away than the nearest hospital. The road/transport system means that ambulances drive past the nearest hospital to reach the designated ones. We have no out-of-hours care and no mental health services.

If I were to have an accident out of hours, I'm buggered if I'd go to one of the designated hospitals. I'd go to the nearest one and my CCG would have to pay a premium to have me treated there. Well, we've been trying to tell them how ridiculous it is and will cost more in the long run.

Jane10 Mon 29-May-17 20:52:57

Our hospital /clinic closures aren't privatisation by stealth. They are all still free.