Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oops! She's done it again!

(349 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 29-May-17 18:01:18

www.independent.co.uk/voices/diane-abbott-car-crash-interview-ira-terrorism-manchester-attack-trap-tories-liability-a7760471.html

As the article says, we all like a trier and none are more trying than Diane Abbott.

Jane10 Tue 30-May-17 18:17:59

No its not. No deal is better than a bad deal.

rosesarered Tue 30-May-17 18:19:00

It's a good negotiating stance, lets the EU know we will not be accepting any old thing they choose to give us.I doubt it will come to that and there will be compromise on both sides.

Ana Tue 30-May-17 18:19:39

And it's certainly not 'utterly horrendous'.

whitewave Tue 30-May-17 18:21:14

So what do you think a no deal meams then?

whitewave Tue 30-May-17 18:25:06

It is a ridiculous negotiating stance, because if anyone understood what it actually means not a person on earth would choose no deal. Well all except the swivelled eyed loons and presumably they don't think they have anything to lose.

rosesarered Tue 30-May-17 18:28:11

It's far too early to be blowing a gasket about this......there will in all likelihood be a deal with the EU.

whitewave Tue 30-May-17 18:29:43

Well let's hope so. So why the ridiculous mantra? Absolute nonsense. And fooling no one with an ounce of sense.

whitewave Tue 30-May-17 18:31:17

So which is worse someone who couldn't remember off the cuff figures, but later apologised and gave the correct figures, or someone who lies about Brexit.

Ana Tue 30-May-17 18:57:23

Sigh...

Anniebach Tue 30-May-17 19:02:16

Off the cuff figures ? I thought everything had been costed carefully, and he did say he had written the manifesto himself

varian Tue 30-May-17 19:12:09

OK you can jump on the right wing bandwagon and accuse JC of being as innumerate as Diane Abbott.

What none of them seem to have noticed is that the Labour manifesto (like the LibDem manifesto) has actually been costed. So there is an answer to the question, which unfortunately Jeremy Corbyn did not have at his fingertips when he was asked. OK he should have done, but it must be difficult to remember all the figures.

The Tory manifesto has not been costed so no-one asks TM about costs.

sluttygran Wed 31-May-17 07:30:13

I rarely indulge in political fisticuffs, but all this opining and comparing of personalities, not to mention all the guff about who said the wrong word or forgot the figures during an interview is pretty irrelevant.
There have been good and bad governments of both shades over the years but at the moment, the one single factor we must put first is our NHS. We really can't afford to lose it, it's a national treasure and needs care and restoration. I honestly believe that at present only one party can do this, even if you don't like the way it's leader dresses/speaks/or doesn't eat meat!
As for there being no money - rude words fail me! The country is absolutely awash with money, but it is being siphoned off into tax havens. Not for nothing is London known as the money-laundering capital of the world.
Don't look at the popular press - look at the facts and figures from a reputable source before you decide, but I know where I shall be placing my 'X'.

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 07:33:34

sluttygran oh how right you are.

sluttygran Wed 31-May-17 08:07:15

I don't find Abbott in the least appealing, but it won't prevent my admiration for Jeremy Corbyn.

W11girl Wed 31-May-17 11:19:18

What is even more frightening is that she is currently shadow home secretary!! I rest my case!

joannewton46 Wed 31-May-17 12:11:18

Let's face it, it wouldn't matter if either DA or JC gave the best interview ever, the media would still put them down. With the BBC in the Tory camp and Murdoch doing his best for Murdoch, Labour don't stand a chance of a fair hearing. Paxman with JC was a disgrace. OK so DA isn't the best but May and the Tories just doesn't seem to care. And that's not meant to be a political comment as I haven't yet decided who I will vote for - although obviously not the Tories.

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 13:47:22

May is looking exhausted. I hope she is OK. I don't like her politics but don't wish her ill.

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 13:51:12

Maybe that's why her speech is so awful. She keeps stumbling and repeating herself

angelab Wed 31-May-17 14:28:12

W11girl I agree, I think it would help labour a lot if JC said that DA would not be home secretary - sounds mean but her position is a liability to labour.

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 16:52:48

A lot of people are asking about May looking so ill. Has anyone heard anything?

Ana Wed 31-May-17 17:03:28

No, only from you.

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 17:39:26

Love this tweet on the BBC site

" unfortunately Maybot can't attend tonight as she is in for routine maintenance. Her software needs updating"

grin

GracesGranMK2 Wed 31-May-17 17:57:01

Whitewave so much was covered up before she opened the can of worms. It is the belief that only they are right - that is not leadership. She must be wondering what she has done and just how the party may punish her. Even if she wins - which I am sure she will as the bias has been going on for so long - I don't think she will be forgiven for revealing just how awful their time in 'power' has been for half the country.

Ana Wed 31-May-17 18:06:09

I love the way you're all hedging your bets! The tories might well win but will never be forgiven, but Corbyn's still in with a chance so fingers crossed...grin

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 18:06:35

Each day gets worse and worse. It is so heartening to see the way people are waking up to the lies.