Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oops! She's done it again!

(348 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 29-May-17 18:01:18

www.independent.co.uk/voices/diane-abbott-car-crash-interview-ira-terrorism-manchester-attack-trap-tories-liability-a7760471.html

As the article says, we all like a trier and none are more trying than Diane Abbott.

Anniebach Mon 29-May-17 18:47:17

She makes Boris seem like a perfect dimplomat

annodomini Mon 29-May-17 19:15:03

She shouldn't be allowed near an interviewer. She got her unmentionables in a twist with Andrew Marr; if she came up against Paxman, I'd watch it from behind a cushion.

paddyann Mon 29-May-17 22:44:55

I'm convinced she's trying to lose this election ,nobody is that incompetent at a job they've been doing for decades ...or they wouldn't still be doing it!

MawBroon Tue 30-May-17 05:49:17

Theresa May's secret weapon?

Ginny42 Tue 30-May-17 09:31:01

It would seem a propensity for making strange statements must be in the job description for Home Sec/Shadow Home Sec. I'd say she has some way to go before matching BJ's tally of crass remarks. She isn't performing well, but others are making blunders, including Mrs May who said in Wales recently,

‘We also want to strike deals across the world for trading, for exporting British goods and services. We want to lead the world in preventing tourism.’

Easily done when under pressure. JC should take DA out of the spotlight, just as the Tories seem to be keeping BJ away from the media.

marionk Tue 30-May-17 09:48:36

Can she really be this stupid?

allule Tue 30-May-17 09:49:18

What I would like is an informed comparison of the manifestos, topic by topic, with facts and figures from trusted experts.
Any chance, do you think?

Anniebach Tue 30-May-17 09:51:10

Anyone can use the wrong word, I often do and not under pressure. But Abbott has been in politics for quite some time, and has appeared in quite a few tv shows, both political and entertainment .

She was either stressed or ill or hungover when she messed that interview about the police but I think her comment on comparing her change of hair style with her alleged change of mind about her support for the IRA was her being cocky.

radicalnan Tue 30-May-17 10:05:23

Somehow, no idea why, people like Boris better.

Abbot did better yesterday with her interview but I canot forgive her for, her racist attitudes and blatant hypocrisy........although I am sure Boris has all the same attributes, there is that indefinable something revolting about her.

spabbygirl Tue 30-May-17 10:35:56

As well as the manifestos you have to look at past performance, many can talk the talk but tories have been in power 7 years and we have a crumbling NHS, people on the streets, education in crisis, rich companies avoiding taxes & allowed to carry on. That has to count as much as what they say.

Tories do give extra money to some of these services but take it away from other places, & fund things like highly paid academy/grammar schools with Head earning 3 figure salaries. bear that in mind when reading manifestos.

Legs55 Tue 30-May-17 13:33:18

I can't stand here voice. she talks so slowly as if we can't understand, like explaining to a child.hmm

shabbygirl without turning this into a political debate I think we need to remember the financal mess Labour left behind including the note left at the Treasury "there's no money"

I too wonder why JC is allowing DA to do interviews, almost as if they want to lose this Electionconfused

Craftycat Tue 30-May-17 13:50:38

I heard her on LBC on Saturday. After the debacle on Andrew Marr I thought she would have got her act together but she was terrible. Luckily I am not a Labour voter but if I was I'd be scared- very scared- that she could be Home Sec.
The woman is a liability.

rosesarered Tue 30-May-17 14:01:37

It doesn't bear thinking about, does it?

Charleygirl Tue 30-May-17 14:07:26

My sister in law was in the same class at school as DA, I wonder what she was like then?

Liz46 Tue 30-May-17 14:31:04

I think she looks very superior and just looks down on everyone. She is definitely an asset to the Conservative party. I couldn't bear to watch the whole Andrew Marr interview.

Jane10 Tue 30-May-17 16:13:23

Awww give her a break. She's having a hard time and the media are happily latching on to her bad moments. We all have them but aren't necessarily filmed during them.

MawBroon Tue 30-May-17 16:19:17

Aww Jane10 do we have to?(give DA a break)
Why doesn't she treat her interviewers and by extension, the voters with more respect.
Respect for our ability to recognise how many beans make five, for instance (the police figures)
Glib sound bites about her hairstyleFFS! If a male interviewer had tried that he'd have been damned for being sexist.
And someone needs to tell her about the patronising voice and breathy delivery.

GranVee Tue 30-May-17 16:38:25

With all her faults, and I'm not a fan, she's along to go before she's as bad as strong and stable Mrs May.

Ana Tue 30-May-17 16:40:03

Hardly.

Anniebach Tue 30-May-17 16:45:47

I will give her a break , the interview over police was cringing but she didn't do what Corbyn did on Women's Hour this morning, asked the costing of childcare as in his manifesto he had to look it up on his iPad, if only Abbott had one to hand that morning

Lilyflower Tue 30-May-17 17:08:40

Diane for PM. Pure comic gold.

Blinko Tue 30-May-17 18:02:37

I can't decide who irritates me more, the Durrells or Ms Abbott. What is she doing as shadow Home Sec?? Heaven help us all!

rosesarered Tue 30-May-17 18:06:31

Just watching that Woman's Hour mess up by Corbyn, not just Abbott bad with figures then.grin

whitewave Tue 30-May-17 18:14:37

None of it is as bad as May threatening "No deal is better than a bad deal"

If you actually stop and think what that means it is utterly horrendous